ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Elite 8 in Portland 3pt line controversy

JonathanW

All-American
Jan 3, 2003
Did anyone else see the story where they discovered yesterday that the 2 ends of the court for the Women's Elite 8 game (NC St vs Texas) had different distances from one of the court to the other. I haven't read how far different they were, but it looked at least 6". And they must have played 2 Sweet 16 games with that also.

Imagine if that had happened in the Men's tournament! And your team lost, while shooting bad from 3 in one half.

I can't decide if I think this is that big of a deal or not. I don't think so. But maybe. Maybe not. Don't know.

Ya'll figure it out and get back to me.

Reactions: Kuhldaddy
Both teams play one half at each end of the floor. I don’t think it’s a huge deal.
Huge deal, maybe not. But it certainly could have resulted in an extra shot or two missed/made, and in a close game....

Imagine shooting from the longer distance in 1st half, missing shots, then in 2nd half you've already lost your confidence.

My friend told me they agreed to play on it and it was noticed before tip. Dumb move, I would have made em fix it with FF on the line. What if you woulda won on a 3 on the janky side but because it was 6 inches back you missed?

Did anyone else see the story where they discovered yesterday that the 2 ends of the court for the Women's Elite 8 game (NC St vs Texas) had different distances from one of the court to the other. I haven't read how far different they were, but it looked at least 6". And they must have played 2 Sweet 16 games with that also.

Imagine if that had happened in the Men's tournament! And your team lost, while shooting bad from 3 in one half.

I think this may be the way to get people to watch the women's tournament. Yeah. They're on to something here. I've got some more ideas to make it more compelling...

-put 6' tall, potted plants in key locations on each end of the court. Change the positions with each TV timeout or break in action.

-mini tramps! Put 2 mini trampolines on each end of the court. Weighted so that they don't move. Give style points from 3 booth judges for any shots using the trampolines.

-bullseye! Put one half a dartboard on each end of the court. make layups from the bullseye worth one point, 2 point shots outside of that, then 3 pt shots as they're supposed to be now. If anyone calls bank and hits from just inside the 3 pt line or outward, give them a free throw to try for a 4pt play

Hilarious.

Next they should lower the goals to 8 feet so we can get some lady dunkfests going on.

Anything to make the women's terrible product more watchable.

I'm ready for a full on group of 5 dudes to cla they are girls at like Murray state and win the national title in womens hoops.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Yeah may be an interesting new wrinkle we need to explore. Same thing with the basket height and rim size. Just mix them up on each end and let the team adjust! Could even alter the lighting!

How about a floor that slants one way or the other? That would be pretty funny too!

Reactions: Soupbean
What's crazy is that they played so many games without anyone noticing. Some random Reddit user noticed it from their nosebleed seats at the game and made a post to Reddit showing the difference. I believe they alerted someone at the game and that's how they found out about it.

They were on those courts for four days. Explains why women are terrible drivers. They can't judge distances.

• Haha
Reactions: JonathanW
I would lower the rim to 9'. It would add some dunks. Why not add a 4-pt shot (35' out).

Both teams play one half at each end of the floor. I don’t think it’s a huge deal.
We're talking SIX INCHES.

Flirty Hello GIF by anndora

Reactions: Fox2monk
What's crazy is that they played so many games without anyone noticing. Some random Reddit user noticed it from their nosebleed seats at the game and made a post to Reddit showing the difference. I believe they alerted someone at the game and that's how they found out about it.
I can’t believe the court got made and nobody said, that looks off. I mean it was obvious even on the court.

Reactions: KYExtemper
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT