ADVERTISEMENT

With the portal closing out, I bet Oscar and Reeves both return to Kentucky.

I doubt Cal knows much of anything regarding Oscar or Reeves return. The reason for this is that I suspect neither player knows what they will do yet. The portal may not okay much of a toke but NIL will. Nothing to do coaching. Everything to do with money.

He said :
Otherwise, I can't think that Calipari would enter into next season riding on the coattails of such glaring, mammoth-sized incompetency. This level of incompetency would surpass what we saw with the Sharpe situation, and I'm not sure Calipari can stomach a season of slow-burn vitriol from BBN.

Looking at the top 50 players in the portal rankings, there are only two players remaining - Nelson and Phillips - and neither looks UK-bound. The 57th-best player, Olivier Nkamhoua, has at least heard from UK, but he doesn't really solve our problems if Bradshaw is only willing to play the 4. We would still need a backup 5 for Onyenso.

I just can't see Calipari going down with this type of ship in what might be his last team at Kentucky. Surely, he knows Oscar and Reeves are likely to return to Kentucky, right? If not, would this be the biggest act of incompetence by a UK head coach in the history of the program?

I doubt Cal knows much of anything regarding Oscar or Reeves return. The reason for this is that I suspect neither player knows what they will do yet. The portal may not okay much of a toke but NIL will. Nothing to do coaching. Everything to do with money.
Where is your link to prove he doesn’t know much of anything regarding Oscar or Reeves. I haven’t seen any credible link where he even insinuates that.

Reactions: Woodrow_Call_1998
Otherwise, I can't think that Calipari would enter into next season riding on the coattails of such glaring, mammoth-sized incompetency. This level of incompetency would surpass what we saw with the Sharpe situation, and I'm not sure Calipari can stomach a season of slow-burn vitriol from BBN.

Looking at the top 50 players in the portal rankings, there are only two players remaining - Nelson and Phillips - and neither looks UK-bound. The 57th-best player, Olivier Nkamhoua, has at least heard from UK, but he doesn't really solve our problems if Bradshaw is only willing to play the 4. We would still need a backup 5 for Onyenso.

I just can't see Calipari going down with this type of ship in what might be his last team at Kentucky. Surely, he knows Oscar and Reeves are likely to return to Kentucky, right? If not, would this be the biggest act of incompetence by a UK head coach in the history of the program?
We can only hope, because if not we are very thin and limited. Cal has a history of disappointing BBN the past 5-6 years though.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Where is your link to prove he doesn’t know much of anything regarding Oscar or Reeves. I haven’t seen any credible link where he even insinuates that.
Well, I said I doubt he knows. But you may be right. Maybe Cal is an evil wizard that can see the future and read minds? That’s more likely that some of the crap I see about him.

That said, I will look for links that shows Cal knew things before Oscar and Reeves even knew their own plans. This would be a revelation.

Reactions: kl40504
Well, I said I doubt he knows. But you may be right. Maybe Cal is an evil wizard that can see the future and read minds? That’s more likely that some of the crap I see about him.

That said, I will look for links that shows Cal knew things before Oscar and Reeves even knew their own plans. This would be a revelation.
Gotcha

If Oscar, Reeves, Livingston return we are set. We are a top 3 team in pre-season and should be one of the favorites to win it all.

If Reed shoots a better percentage than CJ which I think he will watch out. I'm tired of the negative comments on Ugo. Dude didn't get any minutes last year. If you don't see his talent then you don't know basketball. I believe Cal held him back on purpose. It was a gamble but the gamble paid off. Now Cal and his Assistants have to do a better job of coaching and preparing these young men. I'm actually pumped about the upcoming season how about you?
That’s a lotta IF’s though.

We can only hope, because if not we are very thin and limited. Cal has a history of disappointing BBN the past 5-6 years though.
Big Blue Nation is disappointed most years like over 300 other universities are disappointed. Only one team can win it all. Some on here thinks Kentucky should win the title every year.

Big Blue Nation is disappointed most years like over 300 other universities are disappointed. Only one team can win it all. Some on here thinks Kentucky should win the title every year.
Different kind of disappointment, we hate losing anytime but if we compete at a high level we can handle that. We haven’t been doing that the past 5 years outside 2020, but even then haven’t won the SEC or Tournament and no Tourney success.

Reactions: kl40504
A lot of people were saying Brown may come back but I just don't see it. If Oscar can make an NBA team Brown sure can. I said in another post if Bradshaw did not like who we may bring in for PF position I would let Bradshaw go. No one player should have a say so in who UK wants.
Well it was Wheeler last year that wouldn’t let them bring in another guard and now it’s Bradshaw that won’t let him bring in another forward. Cal lets the inmates run his asylum!

No UK shouldn’t go 9-16, followed by a first round loss to 15 seeded Peacocks, and then to top it off with a second round loss to Kansas State. Those aren’t the standards that are set at UK!

With Tshiebwe, Livingston, and Reeves back, I like our chances. We should be able to make a run, unless the Freshmen are overrated.

Our top 7 should be as good as anyone’s. They’ll all get starter minutes.

I will be real excited if they all three come back.
Bucsrule8872, you and I always seem to see things eye to eye. Are there really that many grad options like everyone thinks? We just have to have a five on five with practice at this point in my opinion

Our whole offseason is just constant L’s
giphy.gif

I haven't really kept up with other teams.

Are there any big winners in the portal? Like a team that landed 3 top guys?

The portal is interesting to me because essentially every guy in it is not an NBA prospect, so you have a limited talent ceiling, and every guy in it is demanding a better deal than what he left, so you have to be able to offer a combination of minutes and NIL money for a guy that , at the moment at least, isn't good enough to go to the next level.

We got lucky with Oscar, but landing Oscar wasn't some big portal recruiting accomplishment, KY was his first choice and he wanted to be here before being steered to WV.

Outside of Oscar, we haven't had what I'd call any recruiting portal wins, certainly not enough to make any difference in the trajectory of the season.

I'm not sure sure why we expect that to change. The guys leaving their current situation don't want to compete for minutes or they have a "star player" price tag. I suspect we can't offer either with what it took to get the group of players we already have in place.

Cal certainly doesn't help his cause on multiple levels. Making it almost impossible for a player to break into the rotation mid season is one of them. Not having a significant number of players show noticeable improvement from one season to the next is another. Both of these issues kills continuity and leads to the mass migration of players away from our program.

To summarize this long post - I have little expectation that anything Cal does in regards to the portal will result in a transformation of Kentucky to a title contender.

Last edited:
Reactions: deep3 and dl51344

This doesn't account for other players currently in the NBA Draft that could still return, and more worth noting, and grad transfers - who don't have to be in the portal currently.

I have NO IDEA what Cal is doing, from our vantage point, great reason for concern and criticism. It's hard for me to believe he doesn't have some kind of "ace" up his sleeve, but it sure doesn't look good right now.

But I wouldn't be surprised at all for there to be a portal guy or more likely a grad transfer waiting to see what Oscar and Livingston ultimately decide...

Cal is stupid. He has admitted as such. He believes they are coming back, but will be burned by them and left with 7 players.

Come on, Cal is just ahead of the curve you guys with his tactic.

Much easier to recruit and get players to come when you’re the only team left with any roster spots.

Bucsrule8872, you and I always seem to see things eye to eye. Are there really that many grad options like everyone thinks? We just have to have a five on five with practice at this point in my opinion
I think (or hope) that once guys start making their draft decisions, several options will pop up in the form of grad transfers. They may not be on par with what we are losing, but they will fill in the blanks.

I could see a scenario where Reeves is the only one that comes back, and we add a transfer that pulled out of the draft.

Ideally, in that situation, a really good player like Kobe Brown comes here and provides leadership for us.

A guy like Brown plus Reeves added to the Freshmen, would give us a solid core.

I am just being patient. It’s all we can do. We have to trust Cal to fill out the roster. Really, what other choice do we have?

Reactions: studentcat
Not sure where else Oscar is going to go. He's not going to make millions anywhere else other than UK.
untrue.

for UNC player James Michael McAdoo just signed for multi-year 7 figure and highest ever deal in Japan. He's a PF with no 3 point shooting ability. If he can make very good money (taxes paid by the team) in Asia , surely Tschiebwe can, as well (once his NBA door shuts).

With that said, I hope Tschiebwe returns to UK...it's good for the college game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT