ADVERTISEMENT

With the 34th pick in the NFL draft, the Detroit Lions select.....

NavyCat88

Junior
Nov 22, 2011
.....Will Levis, QB from Kentucky (I would guess).

Lions pick third in the second round (34th overall) after the Steelers (who have a young QB and will likely pick legacy Porter from PSU) followed by Arizona (not in the market for a QB).

Suboptimal scenario IMO. Will drops from high pick expectations to the 2nd round.... only to be picked by arguably the worst team in the NFL. Add to it he loses millions and doesn't get the "first round signal caller draft pick" moniker with the presumption of starting...max reps in practice, etc.

Maybe the Lions organization has other roster desires, and he could wait a few more picks and wind up in Vegas, LA (rams), Nashville, or Green Bay....all of which would be better than Detroit IMO.

IDK. Barring a trade of some sort, I think Will is off to Motown.

GBB!

Lions pick third in the second round (34th overall) after the Steelers (who have a young QB and will likely pick legacy Porter from PSU) followed by Arizona (not in the market for a QB).

Suboptimal scenario IMO. Will drops from high pick expectations to the 2nd round.... only to be picked by arguably the worst team in the NFL. Add to it he loses millions and doesn't get the "first round signal caller draft pick" moniker with the presumption of starting...max reps in practice, etc.

Maybe the Lions organization has other roster desires, and he could wait a few more picks and wind up in Vegas, LA (rams), Nashville, or Green Bay....all of which would be better than Detroit IMO.

GBB!
The Lions aren't the worst team in the league by a good margin.

And jared Goff isn’t that great a Qb by any means.

Goff mskes 26M next year and Levi’s could be ready to take the reigns in year two when Goff fails to lead them to playoff again

Detroit has Jamison Williams at Wr now Gibbs at Rb (who is Alvin kamara clones). Sucks to not go first round but trying to build at tampa bay would have been brutal

The lions aren’t that great but they’re far from the worst team. Raiders, Texans, Cardinals, Panthers, Colts, Falcons, Washington all worse

Reactions: MbergCat
The Lions aren't the worst team in the league by a good margin.
Maybe they've made a move or two that has made them incrementally less awful in recent history, but I don't see a shine on this load of natural fertilizer if he winds up in the motor city.

As an organization, Detroit is #1 in a few contests:
  • 57 seasons with zero conference championships (longest in the NFL)
  • # 1 in the longest playoff-win drought (not winning since a first round victory over the cowboys in 1991
  • #1 in consecutive playoff losses (nine straight losses-the most in NFL history going back to their second round loss to the redskins in 1991.
  • Currently tied for first with longest timeframe NOT making it to their conference championship game (31 years).

Secondarily, my first three years out of the military were in a company with ownership and our manufacturing plant in greater Detroit...spent a lot of time up there. From a QOL perspective, Detroit has had better days.

Sure-he might find some time behind the current QB to ease his way into the starting QB slot, but if anyone had said "Detroit in the 2nd round" at this time yesterday, that prediction would have been met with ridicule.

Good luck Will--BBN is with you no matter the landing spot.

Last edited:
Sure, the Lions are better recently but historically they are a horrid franchise. This has to be taken into account. They could do well recently, but then tank soon after due to poor front office management.

This is why as a Titan fan, I get a little upset with people who say, "They Titans are a terrible franchise. Always have been." What?! They rarely are terrible.........of course, they're also rarely elite. They are a historic middle of the road team. Seems like Jeff Fisher went 8-8 almost every single year.......and recently the combination of Vrabel/Robinson were winning the division, winning 10+ games and making the playoffs. These same people were saying Robinson was trash. JRob wasn't the best and he made mistakes, but trash? Sorry, I went off on a little tangent there.

I know historically you DON'T want to go to the Lions. But it may be a good situation for him.
I think this past year of "don't ever run" AND "don't ever throw it away, take the sack" may have created some bad habits that may take a year to get rid of. Goff isn't bad, so they won't have to rush him putting him in a spot he's not yet ready for, but Goff isn't so good that once Levis is ready the Lions won't hesitate to play him. No he's not a 1st round pick, but even an early 2nd is high value to an NFL team (compared to the NBA it's like having a 1st round pick in the 6-9 range).
They did take a RB (Gibbs, Bama) who has a few Barry Sanders traits but I'm sure isn't Sanders-esque, but still could help the offense.

Atlanta QB room nothing to boast about, and their division is wretched. Time to take advantage of your position and Levis can prove his worth.
Go head-2-head against Mayfield, Young and Carr twice a year.

Robert Boucher, Jr.

il_fullxfull.1376822476_j4sp_1200x1200.jpg

Watch out for the Rams at the 5th pick of the 2nd round, or maybe even a trade up if they feel they need to.

Reactions: mg0721
The lions aren’t that great but they’re far from the worst team. Raiders, Texans, Cardinals, Panthers, Colts, Falcons, Washington all worse

Excuse me, not to be argumentative, but as a Cardinal fan, that mantel belongs to us.

Our strength on offense was OT, so we draft another. Yes, I know, he can play OG, but we are the Cardinals

The Lions went 8-2 in their last 10 to finish 9-8 last season. Levis and Dan Campbell are a perfect match in terms of mentality. Who wouldn't love to play for Dan Campbell? I would love to see Levis end up in Detroit. I don't think he is ready to be a franchise savior right now anyway. So this may be a long term blessing in disguise.

Worst case Levis, ends up being a Chase Daniel type who makes many millions as a career back-up. The Raiders have the #38 pick, Carolina #39 and Tennessee #41, and all are possibilities. Plus Carroll has shown interest and Seahawks have #37. I think Levis goes #41 at the latest.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mroad
The Steelers have supposedly received calls from four teams about trading pick 32. They traded up to get their preferred OT and may want to get some draft capital back. However, they love CB Joey Porter,Jr. and my choose to keep the pick. Porter was projected as a mid-first rounder by most draft experts and CB is their top remaining need.

Last edited:
Maybe they've made a move or two that has made them incrementally less awful in recent history, but I don't see a shine on this load of natural fertilizer if he winds up in the motor city.

As an organization, Detroit is #1 in a few contests:
  • 57 seasons with zero conference championships (longest in the NFL)
  • # 1 in the longest playoff-win drought (not winning since a first round victory over the cowboys in 1991
  • #1 in consecutive playoff losses (nine straight losses-the most in NFL history going back to their second round loss to the redskins in 1991.
  • Currently tied for first with longest timeframe NOT making it to their conference championship game (31 years).

Secondarily, my first three years out of the military were in a company with ownership and our manufacturing plant in greater Detroit...spent a lot of time up there. From a QOL perspective, Detroit has had better days.

Sure-he might find some time behind the current QB to ease his way into the starting QB slot, but if anyone had said "Detroit in the 2nd round" at this time yesterday, that prediction would have been met with ridicule.

Good luck Will--BBN is with you no matter the landing spot.
I knew where you were driving at.

GBB!
The lions have a stacked roster and a questionable qb. Levis could do far worse. They are so stacked I’m not sure they would take a qb in the second rd

The Steelers have supposedly received calls from four teams about trading pick 32. They traded up to get their preferred OT and may want to get some draft capital back. However, they love CB Joey Porter,Jr. and my choose to keep the pick. Porter was projected as a mid-first rounder by most draft experts and CB is their top remaining need.

How can they pass on Porter? They’d have to get a second and another 3 or 4th rounder to trade I think.

How can they pass on Porter? They’d have to get a second and another 3 or 4th rounder to trade I think.
This draft is deep at CB. They could trade back 5-6 spots and get a top 100-120 pick back to replace the one they traded yesterday. The Steelers have shown interest in Brian Branch (S/Slot CB), Julius Brents, Cam Smith, KeLee Ringo and even Ty Stevenson. The first four are ranked in the top 40 or so picks.

This draft is deep at CB. They could trade back 5-6 spots and get a top 100-120 pick back to replace the one they traded yesterday. The Steelers have shown interest in Brian Branch (S/Slot CB), Julius Brents, Cam Smith, KeLee Ringo and even Ty Stevenson. The first four are ranked in the top 40 or so picks.

The Joey Porter legacy is why he’s hard to pass on. Guys always play at another level for the hometown team.

Reactions: DSmith21
Put Levis on the same team as Jack Campbell, really was hoping he would be available when the Bengals picked, he looked awesome at Iowa.

The Falcons, Bears, Titans and Raiders are the teams trying to trade up for the top pick of round 2 according to ESPN.

GBB!
I am a Lions fan and actually don't think this would be a bad move by them. They have nothing for backups right now for Goff. Secondly, Levis could play behind Goff a couple years and eventually take over as QB there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT