ADVERTISEMENT

With Mitchell and Reeves to go along with the Fab Five and UGO and Thiero

Mitchell averaged 11 & 5 last year in 30mpg...

It's hard to imagine he's a key Final Four piece, but I hope you're right.

Reactions: ORCAT
Yeah......... For the first time this off-season I feel like this could be a second weekend NCAA tournament team. More than that would be a bonus but it is way too early to start making those hotel reservations at the final four.

I definitely feel better about the situation but i need to see something on the court too. I don't see this team being soft

It all depends on how good the freshmen turn out to be. If Wagner and Edwards are as good as advertised and Bradshaw comes back healthy, this team can go a long way. If not, then we can see the possibility of a first weekend exit.

I'd say we now have some pieces to be pretty good. I certainly wouldn't make any grand claims about Final Fours or titles. I think Reeves and Mitchell give this team the experience to keep from wilting under the pressure but the success of this team will come down to the emergence of several freshmen. We've seen some true freshmen come in and make an immediate impact and others who struggled. So, how confident are you in this group of freshmen? I'm not sure yet. It remains to be seen.

But I will say this: my feelings about this coming season is MUCH more positive than it was 2 weeks ago. I was beginning to wonder if we were gonna even have enough players for a 5v5 scrimmage next year. SO, I'll take the positive developments.

I'd say we now have some pieces to be pretty good. I certainly wouldn't make any grand claims about Final Fours or titles. I think Reeves and Mitchell give this team the experience to keep from wilting under the pressure but the success of this team will come down to the emergence of several freshmen. We've seen some true freshmen come in and make an immediate impact and others who struggled. So, how confident are you in this group of freshmen? I'm not sure yet. It remains to be seen.

But I will say this: my feelings about this coming season is MUCH more positive than it was 2 weeks ago. I was beginning to wonder if we were gonna even have enough players for a 5v5 scrimmage next year. SO, I'll take the positive developments.
I worry about how quick the freshman will adapt to college level strength and speed. I really like Wagner and Edwards and I think they are going to be special.

I worry about how quick the freshman will adapt to college level strength and speed. I really like Wagner and Edwards and I think they are going to be special.
If Wagner and Edwards are as special as you think they could be, if Reeves can pick up where he left off and become more consistent, and Mitchell can be a consistent double figure scorer at the 4, we're one player away. That means we've gotta have a big man step up. How good can Onyenso be in his sophomore season? I worry about Bradshaw being too thin to be very effective at center in D1 basketball. Our best option might be playing Mitchell at the 5 and bringing in another freshman or Thiero for that 5th spot.

If Wagner and Edwards are as special as you think they could be, if Reeves can pick up where he left off and become more consistent, and Mitchell can be a consistent double figure scorer at the 4, we're one player away. That means we've gotta have a big man step up. How good can Onyenso be in his sophomore season? I worry about Bradshaw being too thin to be very effective at center in D1 basketball. Our best option might be playing Mitchell at the 5 and bringing in another freshman or Thiero for that 5th spot.
Onyenso has definitely worked hard in the weight room this off season. I’m hoping that pays off for him and we see a big improvement in him. Wagner has some major advantages that most kids don’t have. His grandfather and dad were good basketball players and know what it takes to play at this level. I’d bet on it he’s had some phenomenal training and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him adjust faster to the college game than most freshman. I’m definitely no scout but everything I’ve watched on Edwards has been impressive.

Like you said, if Onyenso isnt ready it would be best for Mitchell to play at the 5. It will be interesting to see what kind of line ups we use this season.

Reactions: UKrazycat2
It all depends on how good the freshmen turn out to be. If Wagner and Edwards are as good as advertised and Bradshaw comes back healthy, this team can go a long way. If not, then we can see the possibility of a first weekend exit.
Guards win in the tourny, see KState last year, Dillingham and Wagner will determine how far this team goes.

Bill Murray Reaction GIF

I personally think too many are overlooking Dillingham. Rob can do some special things and is capable of scoring in bunches.

Mitchell averaged 11 & 5 last year in 30mpg...

It's hard to imagine he's a key Final Four piece, but I hope you're right.
I’ve never seen Mitchell play, aside from highlights, but the highlights reminded me of Sarr. We all know how badly that went.

IDK,they are so many unknowns right now. We got the talent. I don't have any concerns with team as of now. Hopefully everyone is happy with thier nil this year.

Reactions: warrior-cat
I think Bradshaw will be fine.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
So...Right now...the roster is...

Frosh
Dillingham
Wagner
Reed
Bradshaw
Edwards
Burks
Hart

Sophs
Theiro
Ugo

Seniors
Reeves
Mitchell

Certainly feel better having some depth, even if that depth is 150-200 level frosh depth. Would feel way better with another experienced big, but all in all it seems like a top 25 team.

I think Theiro may force Cal to play him by his play, even though what position may depend on other guys.

Where we stand right now, if no one else is added, I think the rotation will look something like this (+/- a few minutes):

PG Wagner(15)/Dillingham(25)
SG Reeves(15)/Sheppard(15)/Wagner(10)
SF Edwards(25)/Reeves(10)/Thiero(5)
PF Mitchell(25)/Thiero(10)/Bradshaw(5)
C Bradshaw(20)/Onyenso(20)

Dillingham- 25(probably closer to 30)
Wagner- 25(probably closer to 30)
Reeves- 25(probably closer to 30)
Edwards- 25(probably closer to 30)
Mitchell- 25
Bradshaw- 25
Onyenso- 20
Thiero- 15(probably closer to 10)
Sheppard- 15(probably closer to 10 or less)

Hart and Burks will get mop up minutes in blowouts.

And I am not sure who starts, so there’s no point in the obligatory “so and so will start” post. I figure that will fluctuate throughout the year. Usually does.

Top six are all but locks to play a significant role, IMHO. Onyenso is still a question mark, in my eyes.

That team has Final Four potential, if everyone lives up to their billing.

That rarely happens.

So Sweet Sixteen ceiling is the safe bet.

While I like the recent additions I don't believe we are close to a Final Four team at this point. Way too many unknowns with a heavy laden freshmen team and only one player returning with much prior UK experience. This will definitely be a wait and see roster. Also, I think we won't learn much from the Canada trip as we will be missing Bradshaw and the team, in general, will have practiced very little as a unit so we'll just have to wait to see how this team develops. Like others, I'd love to add one more experienced big man, like maybe the Oregon guy.

Where we stand right now, if no one else is added, I think the rotation will look something like this (+/- a few minutes):

Mitchell- 25
Bradshaw- 25
Onyenso- 20

And I am not sure who starts, so there’s no point in the obligatory “so and so will start” post. I figure that will fluctuate throughout the year. Usually does.

Top six are all but locks to play a significant role, IMHO. Onyenso is still a question mark, in my eyes.

That rarely happens.

Sir, with all due respect, making a sensible post that also lacks outlandish statements and projections (one way or the other) really has no place on this board.

The only thing we know for certain is that this is, yet again, basically a completely new, freshman heavy roster that has never played a single game together. That we know.

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
I'm expecting 12 losses, and if it's less than that, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Cal will find a way to suck with talent, yet again.

Reactions: bigbluedon

Mitchell- 25
Bradshaw- 25
Onyenso- 20

That rarely happens.

I see Wagner and Edwards both going 30-32. Outside of the 15 team that used a platoon the first dozen games, every Cal team has had at least 2 guys play 30mpg, and every Cal team w/ a winning record has had one of those two average 32mpg. Most of his teams have had 3 guys play 30mpg. And you do have to add in those mop up minutes. So I'll go:

PG Wagner 32, Dillingham 8
SG Reeves 19, Dillingham 17, Sheppard 4
SF Edwards 32, Reeves 6, Burks 1, Hart 1
PF Mitchell 24, Bradshaw 10, Theiro 6
C Onyenso 24, Bradshaw 16

So in total, Wagner & Edwards 32, Bradshaw 26, Dillingham & Reeves 25, Mitchell & Onyenso 24. There is the core 7. Then Theiro 6, Sheppard 4, Burks & Hart 1. And I would love and not be surprised for Theiro to some way get up to 10-14 minutes (but not via injury).
Lots of capable guys!!! But will any of them be a star player? I think we need 2 guys to be that.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT