ADVERTISEMENT

Wish UK still played in the Maui Invitational.

The reason we stopped playing in the Great Alaskan Shootout is simple - Wayne Turner was almost lost forever when he became detached from the group on a snow mobile expedition. He was lost for quite some time. We can’t afford to lose point guards in the snowy wilderness. It almost happened once, it can’t almost happen again.

Reactions: STL_Cat
This. Its like the SEC tournament. We dont care if you like it or not Coach....its one of the things you need to do for the fans.

no he doesnt.

champions classic
cbs classic
big 12 challenge
Louisville game

plenty for fans. players, especially young ones, need time and experience to grow and improve to be ready for conference play and march. getting beat up, losing more games in nov/dec, lack of development and learning...benefits no one.

there is no pleasing fans, so dont try.

no he doesnt.

champions classic
cbs classic
big 12 challenge
Louisville game

plenty for fans. players, especially young ones, need time and experience to grow and improve to be ready for conference play and march. getting beat up, losing more games in nov/dec, lack of development and learning...benefits no one.

there is no pleasing fans, so dont try.
Champions classic is one game. CBS classic is expiring. Louisville is a legislated obligation at end if December. And the Big 12 challenge is a single game. In January. Not a single one of those are holiday tournaments.

So yeah....he does. Same as the SEC tournament.

Reactions: Blueworld_3.0
Champions classic is one game. CBS classic is expiring. Louisville is a legislated obligation at end if December. And the Big 12 challenge is a single game. In January. Not a single one of those are holiday tournaments.

So yeah....he does. Same as the SEC tournament.

which is a made up fan criteria that is irrelevant. uk plays a great schedule every year. fans have plenty to enjoy. if they dont...its on them, not the cal

Maui , Tubby vs Cal is when I decided I wanted Cal as our coach. Tubby just stared and sat down while Cal actually encouraged players and was active on the sideline.... and Cal kicked our butts .....

Maybe when players can go directly to the league again, Cal might get more 2-4 year players and we can afford to play in these tournaments again.... But then again....... playing in both classics and a tough preseason tourny every year might be too much even for experienced teams..
I remember that too and thought the same thing during that game. There was such a contrast in talent and flow for each team. That Memphis team looked like they were having fun the whole night while Kentucky plodded through. The first half was closer than expected but Memphis got going and UK had no answer! And after the game tubby said our team was tired. Lol.... Every team was playing 3 games but our coach used that excuse.

Reactions: michaeluk26
Love events like the Champions Classic and the CBS Sports Classic.

But man, I loved it when Kentucky played in Maui.

Watching the Cats playing 3 nights the week of Thanksgiving was absolutely awesome.
I'd give anything to go back to the Maui tournament. I think it's great for college basketball.

What about the great 8 where they took the elite 8 teams from the year before. Just turn it into a tournament.

Last edited:
Cal also likes to avoid road game crowds, which is why why we play fewer home and home series nowadays.

And, although Maui is a neutral site, its unusual "old timey" atmosphere with the crowd right on top of the action makes it feel more similar to a raucous road environment than any of these other early tournaments. I suspect that also helps explain why we've stopped playing Maui in favor of other neutral sites with less intense environments.
Our fans would dominate the arena.

If Cal took a team over there and lost more than one game the folks on here would need immediate medical attention.

Some are still whining about Evansville. If UK went and lost all 3 games. This site would be shut down for 2-3 days and there would be folks being banned left and right.

I can't stand UK losing. It ruins my day. But Cal is right on this even though I really liked it when UK played in it. I don't like it, but he's right
He's had maybe 2-3 teams that could have played in it and done well.
Now if the OAD NBA rule changes for CBB, then I expect Cal and UK would start scheduling a lot different.
So don't play cause we're scared of losing? Not trying to be a dick, I'm just saying.

So don't play cause we're scared of losing? Not trying to be a dick, I'm just saying.
No, I'm saying Cal usually has a new team every year and they are usually just figuring things out that early in the season.
Also, a lot of fans would lose their mind if UK went to Maui and come home with 2-3 losses.

No, I'm saying Cal usually has a new team every year and they are usually just figuring things out that early in the season.
Also, a lot of fans would lose their mind if UK went to Maui and come home with 2-3 losses.
I get what ur saying.

It's Wayne Turner's fault we don't play in these early season tournaments anymore. Had to go and get lost while riding a snowmobile in Alaska.

This shirt is on my Christmas list this year:

https://www.super70ssportsstore.com...ction/products/1979-great-alaska-shootout-tee

I grew up in Central Illinois and inherited a huge fandom of Bradley from my Dad. He let me stay up late the night UK absolutely destroyed the Braves. After looking it up, it was only a 21 point margin, but it may as well been 50.

It also seemed like the game started at 1:00 in the morning, but it was probably earlier. Outside of Midnight Madness or Mass, I don't think I had ever been up that late before. Good Memories.
I recall sitting up and watching with a couple of guys I was rooming with. BTW, one of my best friends with whom I play Adult Baseball with pitched for Bradley in the early '80's and knew Hersey Hawkins and Kirby Puckett very well.

Last time we played there we made F4..
This would be quite a statement if we had not been back to the F4.

Not agreeing to the argument that its not fair to our players. These guys are used to the high school car wash of playing multiple games/days.

It is definitely Cal not wanting to travel that far or working that much during Thanksgiving week.

I concur with the OP. I hate that we are playing seven cupcakes in a row. I want Maui; I want Battle 4 Atlantis; I was annoyed when we did not play in the PK80 classic. We might lose another game or two, but I like quality competition. Instead, we have the "BBN Showcase" with four mid-majors. Why not bring back the UKIT with some P5 teams? Might the Great Alaska Shootout make a glorious return?

I concur with the OP. I hate that we are playing seven cupcakes in a row. I want Maui; I want Battle 4 Atlantis; I was annoyed when we did not play in the PK80 classic. We might lose another game or two, but I like quality competition. Instead, we have the "BBN Showcase" with four mid-majors. Why not bring back the UKIT with some P5 teams? Might the Great Alaska Shootout make a glorious return?

I would have loved it if they had done some kind of mini tournament with bluegrass vs tobacco road in the past. UL and UK vs Duke and UNC. Unfortunately that will never happen now with UL in the ACC. If IU didn't fall off the face of the planet, they could have filled in for UL.

I guess you could do it with UK, KU, UNC, and Duke. A more interesting version of the Champion's Classic. MSU always seemed like the odd ball choice of the group with them being mostly a Johnny come lately.

Reactions: RunninRichie
When I saw UK and Maui in the title Brassow’s tip In was exactly what I thought of. Excellent vid!

What’s disappointing is that is really the only highlight from Maui that gets any attention.

We haven’t ever played well there, but with it being the holidays, you like to see great matchups and potential games.

And if Cal didn’t have to, he wouldn’t play in the SEC tournament.

Our early season doesn’t appear to build enthusiam with our schedule.

So Cal doesn't want to schedule a Nov. tournament where we play three days in a row because it doesn't prepare the team for the NCAA? How about playing in a loud environment as preparation for the SEC schedule? It doesn't have to be Maui, although I'm sure the alumni would be much more excited about going to Hawai'i rather than Alaska!

I've posted an idea here several years ago about a single-day double header to be played in the old Georgia Dome in Atlanta in late Nov. or Dec. that would include UK, UofL, Dook and UNC. The two KY teams would take on the two NC teams and rotate opponents from year to year. Obviously, that wouldn't work now that UofL is a member of the ACC. But, something similar could probably be arranged with different opponents. I used to enjoy the old Big Four Classic played in the RCA Dome in Indy. UK, UofL, Indiana and Notre Dame. The arena was usually packed and there was a lot of great atmosphere in the building.

College basketball needs big spectacles like that to remain relevant to casual fans before March rolls around.

I agree.

This is the last year of the current contract of the CBS Sports Classic. Not sure it will be renewed.

Can only play in Maui every 4 years, I believe.

Just feeling nostalgic for the Maui gig watching these games.

We love going to Maui, regardless if the Cats are playing, but I agree, it is a fun trip. Cal just won't take a young team there, and I can see why. You play 3 games in 3 days, after a tough flight. Plus, it is easy for young players to lose focus, and it there was ever a place to lose focus, it is Maui.

Cal is more into playing a game, taking 3 days to show film and teach his kids, then playing another. No time to teach in Maui. If you are doing something wrong, you can walk away with 3 L's before you have a chance to correct mistakes.

I recall sitting up and watching with a couple of guys I was rooming with. BTW, one of my best friends with whom I play Adult Baseball with pitched for Bradley in the early '80's and knew Hersey Hawkins and Kirby Puckett very well.

Awesome!

Hersey Hawkins was one of the top 5 college basketball players I have ever seen. You will never convince me Danny Manning deserved the POY over Hawkins in 88.

Reactions: anon_q409idbs5m40a
Awesome!

Hersey Hawkins was one of the top 5 college basketball players I have ever seen. You will never convince me Danny Manning deserved the POY over Hawkins in 88.
Hersey was great and I loved his game. My friend also told me that wherever Kirby Puckett was, a party broke out, lol.

I agree.

This is the last year of the current contract of the CBS Sports Classic. Not sure it will be renewed.

Can only play in Maui every 4 years, I believe.

Just feeling nostalgic for the Maui gig watching these games.

The 7:55-8:00 minute mark of that video features three future Rupps Rafters message board users.

I would have loved it if they had done some kind of mini tournament with bluegrass vs tobacco road in the past. UL and UK vs Duke and UNC. Unfortunately that will never happen now with UL in the ACC. If IU didn't fall off the face of the planet, they could have filled in for UL.

I guess you could do it with UK, KU, UNC, and Duke. A more interesting version of the Champion's Classic. MSU always seemed like the odd ball choice of the group with them being mostly a Johnny come lately.
unc cant play because its considered a confrence game if they play duke

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT