ADVERTISEMENT

Will we finally have a good defense this year?

Depends what your definition of good is.

IMO - yes.

We return several budding stars in Ware, Allen, Jones, Westry, Baity and Edwards. We are as deep as I can remember. If we can get adequate performance from the D-line we should be mid-level SEC which in any normal year is at least good.

Look at the draft. When we start having multiple guys drafted every year we have arrived. In saying that on defense we have Edward's Jones Ware Westry baity that are legit draftable players. We need Middleton to be on this list to have a good defense.

Folks, the old FB adage "Games are won and lost at the line of scrimmage." is, generally speaking, just as true today as it has been since inception of the game.

IMHO, we saw proof of that last year as our offense (and not coincidently our overall record) was improved primarily because of significant improvement in our offensive line. Better scheme, Benny Snell, and Stephen Johnson certainly helped, but the OL was the principal difference-maker.

On the other hand, despite added overall experience and depth our defense actually regressed last year vs the prior year, IMHO, principally because of poor to fair performance of the DL resulting from inferior talent and lack of depth.

Unfortunately, until we see significant improvement in talent and depth on the DL we will be hard pressed to win close games against good teams. Outscoring the opposition is really, really hard unless your defense can get stops at key points in a tight game.

Well, weep no more.

Isn't our overall experience and depth on the DL supposed to be improved?

Case closed.

Like our 0utside lb's , need a better mlb. love has trouble getting to the ball carrier and has trouble wrap-ping up when he does get there.

Well, weep no more.

Isn't our overall experience and depth on the DL supposed to be improved?

Case closed.

Not so fast, jaulk11! :sunglasses:

While experience and depth may be a bit better, I'm just not so sure the talent is there yet! I guess I've been burned too many times watching our defense fail to make critical stops against good teams. I'll take a wait and see approach! :sunglasses:

I think our defense will be improved as well. I'm not thinking top 35-40 like you are but improved.

One question that needs to be answered: to what level will Stoops have influence on the defense? House has 3 yrs of DC experience and did fairly well at Pitt and FIU, but will it be all House? All Stoops? Or what mixture?

Not having DJ Elliot is the first positive. Let's see what DC House can do. We even brought in a new Graduate punter which could help with field position. Force more turnovers, tackle better, more deflections , more pressure on the QB are a few things to help our defense. All the above can help. Our offense can be part of our defense by dominating the game clock. Yes I see us getting better!

If the offense can step up, and don't get successive "Three and Out", the defense will improve. The defense has to have time to rest after the offense takes over. Players around 300 lbs cannot run for extended times with a break.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Depends what your definition of good is.

IMO - yes.

We return several budding stars in Ware, Allen, Jones, Westry, Baity and Edwards. We are as deep as I can remember. If we can get adequate performance from the D-line we should be mid-level SEC which in any normal year is at least good.

This.

Honestly I don't Stoops hires anyone anymore who differs from his ideas. I say him and House are on the same page.

I think the defense has a chance to be better but until we land SEC caliber D-Line man with SEC caliber depth at that position I do not see us making a significant step forward.

I think the defense has a chance to be better but until we land SEC caliber D-Line man with SEC caliber depth at that position I do not see us making a significant step forward.

I agree the key is the line, but I think we will be better/deepr at the tackle/end spots, but I worry about the NT. If Elam was to have a breakout season it could really change the equation significantly IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT