ADVERTISEMENT

Will we be better at QB this year?

I believe Leary will be an upgrade on the short/medium passes, also. Will didn't always see the field as well as I hoped he would and, by all accounts, Leary is high IQ QB who will quickly read the defense and make the right throw. Supposed to be very, very accurate (2020 stats certainly bear this out).

Obviously, Will has the bigger arm and was more of a threat to run. However, he also took a bunch of hits while running and it had to have affected his effectiveness. Seemed like he played dinged up a lot (finger, turf toe, etc). OL performance didn't help him nor did the playcalling by Scrang who drew up really well-designed plays that required the OL to keep the pocket clean for 3.5 secs or more, which didn't happen often. With Coen as OC and QB coach, I have to believe Will and the offense would have been much better than they showed last year. Leary will benefit greatly from LC being the playcaller and OC. As big as Will's arm is, he truly wasn't all that great at long throws. He'd hit a HR every so often but seemed like he threw long a lot and didn't complete a high % of those throws (maybe I'm not remembering correctly). With the talent we have on the outside and at TE, I think Leary will be able to hit those guys in stride and let them have YAC for days vs Will's tendency to throw so hard that the receiver had to stop and get his body in front of the throw and greatly reduce the YAC.

I anticipate seeing a lot more passes to the RBs than we've seen in the past, too. Either Will didn't want to dump the ball down to the RB or the play just wasn't designed to do so. I believe Coen will utilize the committee at RB to give Leary a safety valve so he doesn't take as many hits and we keep the ball moving forward.

I believe it will be an upgrade if Leary is more like 2020 than 2021. It will be a slightly different offense than with Will as QB runs will be only in an emergency/scramble. We should be much more effective on offense if the OL is just average again and I believe they'll be that and more.
This! I loved Will, but he isn't as skilled as Leary. Watch how much quicker he is able to process his reads. He will let his eyes take the defense deep and check down to the RB in the flat and throw with such accuracy that the RB has more time to elude the first tackle. Think back to how Will Rogers picked us apart. I expect Leary to be like that, but with more arm to stretch it down field some.

I think I’m seeing it as you have it laid out

I’m a bit iffy on how will Ray Davis will translate….but having seen him play an vsndy he is a step down from Benny/Crod. We’ve basically enjoyed a first down machine that kept our offense in manageable downs and distance for 7 years. If Davis/Wilcox aren’t quite as good csn Leary with that Wr core and good TE be as efficient in churning out first downs when we need it?

I do predict our points per gsme will go up from 20 pts per game (which was bad) to 30pts per game
I probably shouldn’t have discounted Wilcox. He (and also Jefferson) are wildcards. They could raise the ceiling of that room. I like Davis & I think he raises your floor. He’s a steady veteran that won’t hurt you but won’t make that “holy crap did you just see him beak that tackle” like Benny/CRod (or even juke a guy like Bowden). Those guys were incredible.

Reactions: K_TIME
I’m a bit iffy on how will Ray Davis will translate….but having seen him play an vsndy he is a step down from Benny/Crod

This is definitely something to watch but....imo we will flip the normal stoops script this season. Davis will be the changeup and Leary will be the workhorse. Leary will be that efficient.

Again jmo

If the Oline improves and protects, yes Leary should put up big numbers with the receivers UK has. Levis had little time to complete a pass or was running for his life much of the year or on his back.

Reactions: JPFisher
Has anyone heard anything about our OL this summer? That is where the season hangs. If they can open holes for the run game and give DL a few seconds to pass.... we should be good barring injury.

What this thread needs is more opinion & speculation.
Aren’t we a fun one.

Most of us start thinking about (and speculating, projecting, & predicting) next season as soon as the season is over (if not before). How boring would it be to just come here and exchange data from past seasons? I guess we could talk about last season even though it’s over and we have a new team with several new players, coaches, & coordinators… or just everyone just meet back up here after Christmas.

In all of college football the off-season is about projection/opinion/speculation. That’s what keeps traffic on these boards & makes the off-season fun.

Levis was limited by injury the second half of the year. He couldn't run well enough for defenses to take hat into account. Leary's short and mid range passing seems to be better so the ball should come out quicker. Leary is no threat to run the ball. We may control the ball a little better this season, new timing rules may help that some

If Leary stays healthy we will be better. He probably doesn't have Levis' toughness so that is a concern. The back-up better be ready and more able to play at this level than last year.

Leary is a better college football player than Levis. Levis is the more impressive pro prospect. Its really that easy. Our offense will look better this year under Leary than it did in 2021 with Levis.

Reactions: pauled
That is the biggest knock I have on Stoops ,he never has a back-up QB who is ready to step in and play.
Hell how many times have we had a staring QB ready to play? (sarcasm)
The historical problem is no top tier QB wants to play in a system that runs the ball 65% of the time. That's part of the "fix" Stoops set out to make originally in 2021 by bringing in Coen who installed a 50/50 pro style offense, then upon returning this year look what happens? We get the top QB in the portal and recently a commitment from and elite HS recruit for 2024. Believe me times ARE changing as far as QBs go

Hell how many times have we had a staring QB ready to play? (sarcasm)
The historical problem is no top tier QB wants to play in a system that runs the ball 65% of the time. That's part of the "fix" Stoops set out to make in 2021 by bringing in Coen who can install a 50/50 pro style offense and look what happens? We get the top QB in the portal and recently a commitment from and elite HS recruit for 2024. Believe me times ARE changing.
Stoops is trying to be more QB friendly and he doing a good job so far. He just has to find a second guy and give him some snaps so as not to have to a "deer in headlights" forced to take snaps for the first time when the game is on the line

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
When you finish last in the league in total offense.........then this year, this QB, this OL....

Can't be ANY WORSE THAN LAST YEAR, regardless of who plays QB.

2023 offense will be better than 2022 if the OL is better. Period.

Last edited:
Leary will find where the ball needs to go quicker than Levis, they couldn’t be any different quarterbacks, Will is a defensive end with a cannon for an arm. Scan wanted Will standing in the pocket with a weak Offensive Line, that was bad for Will and he stayed beat up all season. Coen will call quick hitters and get the ball in playmakers hands!

Scang track history is horrible as a play caller..He was one of the worst in the NFL when he was at Denver and one of the worst in the SEC at UK. He had a 2nd round NFL QB (probably high first if Coen stays) and a top RB. Slow developing plays and bad line play was a recipe for disaster. Even the announcers on TV were baffled at times with our play selections. Hopefully Scang was as bad as his resume and Coen can work his 2021 magic. In defense of Scang, Coen was on the hiring decision with that guy. Maybe his NFL goggles got in the way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT