ADVERTISEMENT

Will Coach Ratface take on one and done...

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nba/charlotte-hornets/article157676324.html

Anyone else find Coach K's convenient and sudden outspoken dislike of the OAD rule self-serving and disingenuous?

The OAD rule has been around for over 10 years. Duke has only started doing it in earnest in the last 2-3 years. K's first lie in the article above is that they haven't really changed their recruiting that much - they've always tried to sign the best available players, and two, the implication that they have to sign OAD players to compete. Programs like Villanova and UNC have done quite well signing lower 5-stars and 4-stars that fit their system. Duke did fine doing the same with just the occasional OAD for years as well.

The truth is that K started going all in on OADs because he realized what Cal was about to pull off at Kentucky and for Kentucky - especially after the NBA started filling up with UK players. I think the dearth of stars in the NBA who were his former players also started to bother him - especially after his Olympics stint.

I also find it very interesting that so many years after the OAD rule, K is suddenly campaigning so hard against it. Make no mistake, K is very influential and is good friends with NBA Commish Adam Silver. So why is K suddenly so outspoken about the rule?

Is it a sudden deep concern for these young men? Or is it - 1) he's figured out he's not very good at gelling 4-5 superstar freshmen into a great team in one year when he doesn't have Tyus Jones at the helm, 2) he's over 70 and he's tired of the work he has to put in to keep up with Cal, or 3) he's about to retire, and when he does, he knows Cal is going to get another step up on Duke and the rest of college basketball?
Some of our posters are far too preoccupied with Coach Krzyzewski. Why? We have the nation's best college basketball program.

K and Izzo have learned it is very difficult to coach this way with freshmen leading the way. Since they can't excel at it like Cal, they want something done about it like most other coaches.

I'm a veteran player in the NBA, overpaid for my talents.

Why would I want my players association to let an 18 year old come into the league when I can keep them out until they are 20?

At some point it balances out I understand but shortening their window and letting a few of them show they aren't NBA ready by playing in college is going to help me as a player.

As NBA management, why wouldn't I want a college to vet these kids and also teach them a few things about playing structured ball against good competition?

I don't understand why the NBA would push to have a rule that a kid can jump into the league at 18. I don't see any upside to it. For every Kobe you're going to get 10 Kwame's

If I'm a college coach - I absolutely want potential NBA players on my team for as long as I get them.

Last edited:
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nba/charlotte-hornets/article157676324.html

Anyone else find Coach K's convenient and sudden outspoken dislike of the OAD rule self-serving and disingenuous?

The OAD rule has been around for over 10 years. Duke has only started doing it in earnest in the last 2-3 years. K's first lie in the article above is that they haven't really changed their recruiting that much - they've always tried to sign the best available players, and two, the implication that they have to sign OAD players to compete. Programs like Villanova and UNC have done quite well signing lower 5-stars and 4-stars that fit their system. Duke did fine doing the same with just the occasional OAD for years as well.

The truth is that K started going all in on OADs because he realized what Cal was about to pull off at Kentucky and for Kentucky - especially after the NBA started filling up with UK players. I think the dearth of stars in the NBA who were his former players also started to bother him - especially after his Olympics stint.

I also find it very interesting that so many years after the OAD rule, K is suddenly campaigning so hard against it. Make no mistake, K is very influential and is good friends with NBA Commish Adam Silver. So why is K suddenly so outspoken about the rule?

Is it a sudden deep concern for these young men? Or is it - 1) he's figured out he's not very good at gelling 4-5 superstar freshmen into a great team in one year when he doesn't have Tyus Jones at the helm, 2) he's over 70 and he's tired of the work he has to put in to keep up with Cal, or 3) he's about to retire, and when he does, he knows Cal is going to get another step up on Duke and the rest of college basketball?

It's not a big deal. Cal has said for years that he doesn't like the OAD rule, he just uses it to the best of his ability. No story here.

Some of our posters are far too preoccupied with Coach Krzyzewski. Why? We have the nation's best college basketball program.

The head of the NBA, who is now trying to follow K's wishes is a Dookie, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting ex-Dookies who are in the media carrying their water. There is a reason we harp on it. But I don't think any of us are pre-occupied with him as you put it.

Power is a strange bedfellow we see it at all levels of society, from the least to the greatest. I believe that K has worked hard to build a great program which he has and just when his turn to become the Dean of coaches and all the accolades that go with it, along comes a rule change that has the top tier talent leaving after one season of college basketball. John Calipari who just a few short years ago was told it can't be done, and not only has he done it he has excelled at it. K meanwhile sees that his grasp on college basketball has slipped from him and Calipari is the go to guy, and he wants that stopped so he uses his leverage to work that way. If he could have had success with it all would have been well, but especially last season he failed miserably at it, and I believe with all my being that there were a lot involved in making sure UNC was gift wrapped that NC and all hands on deck to stop UK and Cal from getting it.So now they are going to change the rules, but you know what either Cal or someone else will capitilize on that too.

I'm a veteran player in the NBA, overpaid for my talents.

Why would I want my players association to let an 18 year old come into the league when I can keep them out until they are 20?

At some point it balances out I understand but shortening their window and letting a few of them show they aren't NBA ready by playing in college is going to help me as a player.

As NBA management, why wouldn't I want a college to vet these kids and also teach them a few things about playing structured ball against good competition?

I don't understand why the NBA would push to have a rule that a kid can jump into the league at 18. I don't see any upside to it. For every Kobe you're going to get 10 Kwame's

If I'm a college coach - I absolutely want potential NBA players on my team for as long as I get them.

In my opinion, the players' push for a straight out of high school rule is influenced by the agents who want earlier access to the best talent.

The players are persuaded using the emotional argument (poor kids shouldn't be denied opportunities), rather than the argument that is in the best financial interest of the current union membership.

Kids should be able to go straight out of HS. And if they go to college, should be able to go anytime they feel able to do so.

Kids shouldn't have to go to school to play basketball if they don't want to and shouldn't have to stay in college any longer than they have to.

The rule is there to benefit the NBA and that is all. They don't care about the poor kid who needs the money.

Go back to the old rule. UK, Duke, and the other elite schools will still get plenty of talent.

1. The amateurism angle has always been a sham. It's never been about education at the elite programs.

2. If the coaches really wanted what's best for the kids, they'd give them the option to be drafted and then decide whether they want to sign with their pro team or go to college. Everyone seems to long for the baseball format, but no one ever mentions that part. You know why? Because

3. It's all about the coaches and what is easiest and best for them. Just like it's always been. It's why they're the ones getting paid. It's why they're the ones who can transfer at any time and not sit out. It's why they're the ones who can do commercials. It's why they're the ones who can break the rules and just go on coaching.

The head of the NBA, who is now trying to follow K's wishes is a Dookie, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting ex-Dookies who are in the media carrying their water. There is a reason we harp on it. But I don't think any of us are pre-occupied with him as you put it.
Uh, harping on it means you are preoccupied. Former Duke players support Krzyzewski in the media just like former UK players support Calipari. UK fans have no reason to be jealous of Krzyzewski. It just looks silly. Our basketball program is better than theirs.

Truth is he can't do what Cal does...& he's tired of trying to keep up. Heres an idea: retir e

I think he will and it's inspired me to restructure our health care system.

He is doing it for Duke's future coach when retires, because he knows that there is no way in hell that the new coach will be able to keep up with UK.
It make no difference. Cal has already gotten the rep as the coach who prepares the kids the best. He will just become the best 2 n done coach

Cause Adam Silver. NBA Commissioner, is a Dukie alum...
And the players union who is controlled by agents is still the driving force behind one and done and would prefer none and done. So they can get the players making money so they can make money. Truth is if I am a player I would want a better situation look at all the 19 year old talent that will be taking roster spots somebody has to make room for them. So I'd want to keep the kids in college as long as I could.

I don't see how anyone who loves college basketball can ever be happy with the One and done situation. There is no consistency, and although some of the very elite talented Freshman can make a difference it really is for most of them an early development stage. Plus, as much as Cal wants or any coach wants, it is hard to see really excellent basketball because of the lack of true team play. I am not saying the games now aren't exciting, but there is sort of a mockery of college athletics in basketball by all this jumping after one year. However, K's suggestions do seem perhaps a bit self-serving and actually won't resolve much of anything. We all have to accept that as long as the NBA is willing to take kids on potential and help them develop it is how things will be. Plus, the outrageous money that is paid in the NBA, which also has become somewhat of a diluted situation with teams, can't be resisted. It is hard to suggest to a family to ignore millions of dollars to become better educated.

I love college basketball, which is why I want to see these incredible talents in the game if only for one year.

One of the things I most look forward to is seeing the crop of star freshmen every year. Imagine last year without Lonzo Ball, the Duke freshmen drama, Fox and Monk, etc. That all made for an interesting year.

At the same time, as long as coaches and athletic departments are making millions, I find it unconscionable to make them stay for more than one year.

OAD isn't perfect, but it's the best compromise between what is best for the NBA, best for the college game, and best for the player.

We are never going to go back to the days when the NBA drafted skill over raw talent and players as good as Michael Jordan were staying in college 3 or 4 years.

If you want a preview of what the college game would be like without OAD players, just remember 2013, which had a historically weak freshmen class. Defensive teams dominated that year and the games were almost unwatchable.

Reactions: uky8unc5
Changing the rules won't effect Coach Cal. He'll still get the best available 5* talent that plays college basketball.
In Calipari's own words, "Kentucky eats 1st". The way some people talk, it sounds like they believe Calipari invented OAD. LOL! Truth is that OAD is a result of the NBA owners' contract with the players association. Their rule says a player can't enter the NBA draft until he reaches the threshold age. That's why they play college ball for a year. Because many of the best high school players want to play for Calipari, Calipari is signing a lot of players who get to the NBA as early as possible. But even if the NBA rule changed, many of the best available players would still want to play for Calipari, and Kentucky would still eat 1st.

Reactions: UKrazycat2
If you want to do what is best for the player, allow him to go thru the draft before deciding. (Baseball Rule)
Even consider that after every year of college play.
If you are a college coach and can't handle that, just
recruit lesser talent and develop it. Many programs
have been very successful doing just that.

If you want to do what is best for the player, allow him to go thru the draft before deciding. (Baseball Rule)
Even consider that after every year of college play.
If you are a college coach and can't handle that, just
recruit lesser talent and develop it. Many programs
have been very successful doing just that.
The NBA rule isn't about what's best for college players, and it never will be. The rules for the NBA draft are stipulated in the agreement between NBA owners and the NBA players' association, so it will always be about what's best for NBA owners and NBA players.

The NBA rule isn't about what's best for college players, and it never will be. The rules for the NBA draft are stipulated in the agreement between NBA owners and the NBA players' association, so it will always be about what's best for NBA owners and NBA players.

That's why I started my post with "IF".

Didn't hear much complaining from him the past 3 years about the one and done. Complained before he started really going after them...now his superteam flopped and he's again saying one and down rule should be done. Yes, Cal has also been on record saying he doesn't like the one and done but that's been since the beginning. At least he's being genuine.

Actually he's been complaining consistently, but what is the point of continuous complaining if nothing is going to change? Someone asked a question, he answered.

And the players union who is controlled by agents is still the driving force behind one and done and would prefer none and done. So they can get the players making money so they can make money. Truth is if I am a player I would want a better situation look at all the 19 year old talent that will be taking roster spots somebody has to make room for them. So I'd want to keep the kids in college as long as I could.

Surprisingly they want to give the college/high school players the same chance that they had. Agents are self-serving of course as you would expect. But the rank and file don't want to exclude the younger players by age or year in school.

He won a title in 2015 with 2 arguably 3-4 better teams on the other side of bracket.

Kentucky
Arizona
Notre Dame (who had owned Duke)

Surprisingly they want to give the college/high school players the same chance that they had. Agents are self-serving of course as you would expect. But the rank and file don't want to exclude the younger players by age or year in school.
I was just joking mostly about the not wanting the competition. Gonna be honest though. If you ask a NBA players opinion they probably say straight out of hs or one and done I do not think it's an important enough issue to the average player to hardly think about. Of course Agents are good at getting players fired up. Lol! The players should be on the same page as the league and want an age limit improve the product increase revenue more money for everybody.

He won a title in 2015 with 2 arguably 3-4 better teams on the other side of bracket.

Kentucky
Arizona
Notre Dame (who had owned Duke)
The funny thing about that is. In 15 if there was no one and done. Okafor Jones and Winslow most likely go pro right out of HS. They were demed most pro ready number one player at their position. Outside chance Kat and Lyle's do most likely they come to school. Especially Kat who's father wanted him to play for Cal. So Duke probably doesn't even sniff a final four that year if one and done didn't exist.

Uh, harping on it means you are preoccupied. Former Duke players support Krzyzewski in the media just like former UK players support Calipari. UK fans have no reason to be jealous of Krzyzewski. It just looks silly. Our basketball program is better than theirs.

No, it doesn't. Commenting on one subject does not impact one's ability or proclivity to comment on other subjects. Cracks me up how many people comment on this board about us being obsessed with Duke, or KU, or UNCheat, or UL. We are great multi-taskers if we are obsessed about so many things. Commenting on this also doesn't make us "jealous".

Reactions: poppycat
Actually he's been complaining consistently, but what is the point of continuous complaining if nothing is going to change? Someone asked a question, he answered.

No he hasn't. He is suddenly very vocal and active in campaigning for change and in the ear of his good friend Adam Silver. I'm sure it's just a coincidence that this sudden up-tick in speaking out against OADs came after a disappointing season with what was supposed to be an incredible recruiting class, after one of his star recruits (Jackson) made him look bad by departing unexpectedly and suggesting he was misused, after he ceded some of his recruiting advantage as Olympics coach, and after he missed on a couple of recruits this year because his health (surgery last Spring and this Winter) prevented him from keeping up with Cal.

No he hasn't. He is suddenly very vocal and active in campaigning for change and in the ear of his good friend Adam Silver. I'm sure it's just a coincidence that this sudden up-tick in speaking out against OADs came after a disappointing season with what was supposed to be an incredible recruiting class, after one of his star recruits (Jackson) made him look bad by departing unexpectedly and suggesting he was misused, after he ceded some of his recruiting advantage as Olympics coach, and after he missed on a couple of recruits this year because his health (surgery last Spring and this Winter) prevented him from keeping up with Cal.
Beat that drum, Cat Ballou! Only a Dookie could be deaf to the truth you're playing.

Except now Coach K is on the outside looking in on team USA and is estimating that Cal will now have an uptick in recruiting.

That's not the point, the point is why is he suddenly pushing so hard against it after all these years? And why is it suddenly such a bad thing for these kids?
All schools offer the lifetime scholarship thing, if Frank Jackson can't develop into an NBA player in the D-league, he can go back to Duke and get a degree and be an accountant or something. If he'd opted to go to a developmental league straight out of high school, he wouldn't have that opportunity.

The OAD rule brought an infusion of talent into college that it needed, and cut down on straight to the NBA failures like Sebastian Telfair.

There's little doubt in my mind that much of the dislike of OAD is because it has been so very successful for one school in particular.[/QUOT

UK also has a fine accounting program. The difference is, former UK players will actually come back to get that degree.

Nice post. I have gotten so tired of arguing that point with so many my friends and on this board. When the underachieving card is played, they now just get, "whatever, who has been better since 2010"
Someone in my poker group will always bring it up... trying to get me riled up.
Yeah, I know Cal is a heck of a coach, but it's damn near impossible to win it all with freshmen laden team's, hence the reason no other coaches are jumping into the one and done pool. Self dips a foot in, K dips a toe in, but Cal dives in and has to rebuild every year.
I wish we could retain more players, that's been my complaint so if this new rule actually comes to fruition I'll be a big fan of it because UK will be dominant every year.

Reactions: Blueaz
Yeah, I know Cal is a heck of a coach, but it's damn near impossible to win it all with freshmen laden team's, hence the reason no other coaches are jumping into the one and done pool. Self dips a foot in, K dips a toe in, but Cal dives in and has to rebuild every year.
I wish we could retain more players, that's been my complaint so if this new rule actually comes to fruition I'll be a big fan of it because UK will be dominant every year.
Ya mean, MORE dominant... :)

Last edited:
Reactions: kyjeff1 and Poetax
News flash - he's ALWAYS had this opinion on OAD...just because he recruits/produces OAD doesn't mean he likes it. Oh, and guess what, Cal has said on numerous occasions he doesn't like the rule either but it is what it is.

Elite coaches will recruit the players that give them the best chance of winning, how long they stay around doesn't matter.

It didn't bother him when he was coaching the US teams and having the advantage of coaching kids that he could sign, did he? Plus Cal has said the same thing since year 1 but the Fake News media would never give him any credit.

Yeah those coaches hate final fours, they would rather lose in the first round with experienced teams.

Reactions: kyjeff1
His 2015 title is just as much on returning talent as it is on 1AD... Not to mention a gift-wrapped region.. Kentucky had to play a team in the Elite8 that beat Duke twice..Kind of tells you everything you need to know about how that tournament was setup.

His 2015 title is just as much on returning talent as it is on 1AD... Not to mention a gift-wrapped region.. Kentucky had to play a team in the Elite8 that beat Duke twice..Kind of tells you everything you need to know about how that tournament was setup.

I am still bitter about how that tourney was set up.

The four best teams were UK, Wisconsin, Duke, and Zona. Three of the four were on the same side of the bracket. Funny how Duke was by themselves on the other side. I guess that is the benefit of being the number one overall seed, except they weren't suppose to be the number one overall seed.

Would have loved to see it seeded right. Then Duke plays Wisconsin in the Final Four. UK plays Zona or some surprise team like Michigan St. in the other semifinal. So a Duke team would play a fresh Wisconsin team and have to fight for a spot in the title game. UK has a tough game as well, but wins most likely. UK vs. Duke for an epic title game.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I think that ND win took a lot out of Kentucky. I know they had another week before the Wisconsin match-up.. but that game had a weird feeling. It almost felt like we lost the tournament even though we won that game. I had a bad feeling after.. during the week.. and during the entire Wisconsin game. I went into a sports bar to watch it, and I had this feeling I was going to walk out of there with a Kentucky loss.

It's all relative, 5-8 of the top available players will be in Cal's recruiting class until he retires.

If most now OAD's decide to go pro out of high school, that would mean more 2/3/4/year players at UK.Likely, would not be room to add that many each class. If the top 15 hs players by pass college, how many OAD's are left? If you're signing 5, likely 4 and maybe all 5 would return for another year. Even if Cal signs 3/5 of the top 20 that's left, it's likely most would be 3/4 year players........and that is OK (fine)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT