ADVERTISEMENT

Will Coach Ratface take on one and done...

Didn't I read on espn that coach rat face had figured out this one and done and had passed Calapari on the recruiting trail ? Wasn't this one of bilis' comments ?
Wonder what happened to those predictions now that ratty k is wanting to do away with it ?
If he had it figured out why would he want to do away with it ?

Reactions: BigKari
He is doing it for Duke's future coach when retires, because he knows that there is no way in hell that the new coach will be able to keep up with UK.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nba/charlotte-hornets/article157676324.html

Anyone else find Coach K's convenient and sudden outspoken dislike of the OAD rule self-serving and disingenuous?

The OAD rule has been around for over 10 years. Duke has only started doing it in earnest in the last 2-3 years. K's first lie in the article above is that they haven't really changed their recruiting that much - they've always tried to sign the best available players, and two, the implication that they have to sign OAD players to compete. Programs like Villanova and UNC have done quite well signing lower 5-stars and 4-stars that fit their system. Duke did fine doing the same with just the occasional OAD for years as well.

The truth is that K started going all in on OADs because he realized what Cal was about to pull off at Kentucky and for Kentucky - especially after the NBA started filling up with UK players. I think the dearth of stars in the NBA who were his former players also started to bother him - especially after his Olympics stint.

I also find it very interesting that so many years after the OAD rule, K is suddenly campaigning so hard against it. Make no mistake, K is very influential and is good friends with NBA Commish Adam Silver. So why is K suddenly so outspoken about the rule?

Is it a sudden deep concern for these young men? Or is it - 1) he's figured out he's not very good at gelling 4-5 superstar freshmen into a great team in one year when he doesn't have Tyus Jones at the helm, 2) he's over 70 and he's tired of the work he has to put in to keep up with Cal, or 3) he's about to retire, and when he does, he knows Cal is going to get another step up on Duke and the rest of college basketball?

K is geyh and a flop artist.

coach-k-pass-out-o_zpsznnmmdas.gif

The school of thought from K and others is get rid of the one and done, Cal would be rendered useless because the all-star talent would go pro. That would be one less coach he has to compete with.

Strange timing. How much does K still have in the tank? The one and done rule change would likely still be 2 years away. K is being his usual self serving jerk. If it doesn't work for him and he doesn't want someone to have an advantage he doesn't.

Reactions: UKCatnNC
News flash - he's ALWAYS had this opinion on OAD...just because he recruits/produces OAD doesn't mean he likes it. Oh, and guess what, Cal has said on numerous occasions he doesn't like the rule either but it is what it is.

Elite coaches will recruit the players that give them the best chance of winning, how long they stay around doesn't matter.

News flash - he's ALWAYS had this opinion on OAD...just because he recruits/produces OAD doesn't mean he likes it. Oh, and guess what, Cal has said on numerous occasions he doesn't like the rule either but it is what it is.

Elite coaches will recruit the players that give them the best chance of winning, how long they stay around doesn't matter.

Didn't hear much complaining from him the past 3 years about the one and done. Complained before he started really going after them...now his superteam flopped and he's again saying one and down rule should be done. Yes, Cal has also been on record saying he doesn't like the one and done but that's been since the beginning. At least he's being genuine.

That's not the point, the point is why is he suddenly pushing so hard against it after all these years? And why is it suddenly such a bad thing for these kids?

All schools offer the lifetime scholarship thing, if Frank Jackson can't develop into an NBA player in the D-league, he can go back to Duke and get a degree and be an accountant or something. If he'd opted to go to a developmental league straight out of high school, he wouldn't have that opportunity.

The OAD rule brought an infusion of talent into college that it needed, and cut down on straight to the NBA failures like Sebastian Telfair.

There's little doubt in my mind that much of the dislike of OAD is because it has been so very successful for one school in particular.

The one and done isn't popular because so many kids act like they are phoning it in down the stretch of their one season. See: Ben Simmons.

He tried OAD and now after some dismal showings trying to replicate Cal.......rather than to admit that he can't build a team with OAD players he now rails against it.

The premise that they should be able to go straight out of high school because their earning window is so small is fair enough.

But then the argument that those who attend colllege should stay 2 years because "they probably needed that level of maturity" is disingenuous.

Doesn't a freshman who blows up in his one season also have a short earning window?

The premise that they should be able to go straight out of high school because their earning window is so small is fair enough.

But then the argument that those who attend colllege should stay 2 years because "they probably needed that level of maturity" is disingenuous.

Doesn't a freshman who blows up in his one season also have a short earning window?

Exactly - OAD is best for the players, period. They get a year to gauge their game against a higher level of competition and determine how ready they are for the league. Maybe they realize they need another year or two to mature or just enjoy playing college basketball - like Miles Bridges or Willie Cauey-Stein.

Regardless, they lock in a free college scholarship for life if basketball doesn't work out.

OAD is only a problem for most because of Cal's dominance, and because their school isn't particularly benefitting.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nba/charlotte-hornets/article157676324.html

I also find it very interesting that so many years after the OAD rule, K is suddenly campaigning so hard against it. Make no mistake, K is very influential and is good friends with NBA Commish Adam Silver. So why is K suddenly so outspoken about the rule?

Some of you all need to read some articles about the OAD issue. K and Adam Silver can cry about it all they want, but they can't change the rule without negotiating it with the Players Associaton (who would rather change the entry age back to 18 than 20).

@ulismyman you certainly need to read some. And come up with a better answer than "because they slurp him". [eyeroll]

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ya...king-stance-nbas-one-done-rule-204634457.html

I agree. If he believes that a player should be allowed to turn pro out of high school because his earnings window is so short, why does he think it's a good idea to force a kid to stay in school if he's good enough to leave after one year.

Reactions: Aike
It's only because he can't manage it and deal with it like Cal can. It's all about him.
He thinks changing it will benefit him and hurt Cal. He doesn't care about the kids or what's best for them.
He got lucky with it a couple of years ago but now he realizes it's not as easy as Cal makes it look. Guy is a complete fraud and narcissist.

Last edited:

Anyone else find Coach K's convenient and sudden outspoken dislike of the OAD rule self-serving and disingenuous?

The OAD rule has been around for over 10 years. Duke has only started doing it in earnest in the last 2-3 years. K's first lie in the article above is that they haven't really changed their recruiting that much - they've always tried to sign the best available players, and two, the implication that they have to sign OAD players to compete. Programs like Villanova and UNC have done quite well signing lower 5-stars and 4-stars that fit their system. Duke did fine doing the same with just the occasional OAD for years as well.

The truth is that K started going all in on OADs because he realized what Cal was about to pull off at Kentucky and for Kentucky - especially after the NBA started filling up with UK players. I think the dearth of stars in the NBA who were his former players also started to bother him - especially after his Olympics stint.

Is it a sudden deep concern for these young men? Or is it - 1) he's figured out he's not very good at gelling 4-5 superstar freshmen into a great team in one year when he doesn't have Tyus Jones at the helm, 2) he's over 70 and he's tired of the work he has to put in to keep up with Cal, or 3) he's about to retire, and when he does, he knows Cal is going to get another step up on Duke and the rest of college basketball?

Why would he like it? He had 3 players go in the top 20 pics, 1 a soph the other 2 OAD. He lost what 8 or 9 games and got beat out in the first weekend of the Tourny...Yet Cal underachieves signing 7 or 8 guys every year. It is not easy to win with freshmen and K doesn't like to lose and then have to start over again. Besides that regardless of what Bilas said, Duke was not wothy of a 1 seed and probably not a 2 seed either. yes they won the ACC tourny, but their overall work was not impressive and you could see they were not a threat to win it all, I say that without my blue tinted glasses also. Ok rant over

Reactions: Blueaz
Changing the rules won't effect Coach Cal. He'll still get the best available 5* talent that plays college basketball.
Yes, and what they don't understand is he will have that 5* talent for two years instead of just 1.

They all say Cal can't coach, but they would find out quickly that giving 5* talent to Cal for a second season will produce even better results for UK.

What other program starts with a brand new team every year? Everyone else has veteran players that know their respective coach's systems, Cal has to teach his team's from scratch every season.

Bring on the 2 year rule....please!

I don't see how anyone who loves college basketball can ever be happy with the One and done situation. There is no consistency, and although some of the very elite talented Freshman can make a difference it really is for most of them an early development stage. Plus, as much as Cal wants or any coach wants, it is hard to see really excellent basketball because of the lack of true team play. I am not saying the games now aren't exciting, but there is sort of a mockery of college athletics in basketball by all this jumping after one year. However, K's suggestions do seem perhaps a bit self-serving and actually won't resolve much of anything. We all have to accept that as long as the NBA is willing to take kids on potential and help them develop it is how things will be. Plus, the outrageous money that is paid in the NBA, which also has become somewhat of a diluted situation with teams, can't be resisted. It is hard to suggest to a family to ignore millions of dollars to become better educated.

Changing the rules won't effect Coach Cal. He'll still get the best available 5* talent that plays college basketball.
Cal was a national threat when he was driving a Camry (UMass) and a Charger (Memphis).

Now that Cal's sporting a Lamborghini, nothing can slow him down!

Reactions: UKrazycat2
Yes, and what they don't understand is he will have that 5* talent for two years instead of just 1.

They all say Cal can't coach, but they would find out quickly that giving 5* talent to Cal for a second season will produce even better results for UK.

What other program starts with a brand new team every year? Everyone else has veteran players that know their respective coach's systems, Cal has to teach his team's from scratch every season.

Bring on the 2 year rule....please!
Nice post. I have gotten so tired of arguing that point with so many my friends and on this board. When the underachieving card is played, they now just get, "whatever, who has been better since 2010"
Someone in my poker group will always bring it up... trying to get me riled up.

Nice post. I have gotten so tired of arguing that point with so many my friends and on this board. When the underachieving card is played, they now just get, "whatever, who has been better since 2010"
Someone in my poker group will always bring it up... trying to get me riled up.

Slide a hot poker under his nutsack. Be a while before anything comes back up.

ADVERTISEMENT