ADVERTISEMENT

Why Wouldn't Sheppard Start?

People have to pump the brakes on Reed. Much like Dillingham, he’s going to have some good games, but we don’t know what he’s going to do against anyone with a pulse.

I want all these guys to kill it, but history says that not all of our freshmen are going to be world beaters.

They won't. He's from KY, his dad is a UK legend, etc.

He will get a pass on bad games while the other players get bashed. We saw it in Canada.

They won't. He's from KY, his dad is a UK legend, etc.

He will get a pass on bad games while the other players get bashed. We saw it in Canada.
Well, if I’m being honest, I have a soft spot for the home grown kids too. I just don’t think we are gonna see the Reed we saw in Canada.

As I watch the Rockets get drubbed by nearly 30 on opening night, due to basically a collection of athlete-first players, severely lacking true basketball ability and IQ.. (something we're familiar with regarding Cal's recent teams)

.. you need at least ONE basketball player on the court at all times. We're probably OK with Reeves.. but it wouldn't hurt to run Dilly at the point with Shep and Reeves on either side of him, for what would be an absolutely lethal combo, IMO.
Wagner is the best player on this team. He will get the most backcourt minutes

Well, if I’m being honest, I have a soft spot for the home grown kids too. I just don’t think we are gonna see the Reed we saw in Canada.

I mean that's fine but you shouldn't evaluate their play any different. Not saying you do but some on here do.

At least Reed is good. The Allenites were nauseating during his time here.

Reactions: Jamal Mercer
Wagner is the best player on this team. He will get the most backcourt minutes
I just don’t see that. Would love to be wrong. Think he’s going to fall short of expectations but obviously hope he doesn’t.

As a team player who sees the floor well and anticipates the next pass and who is a very decent shooter, he’s better than them all. He has the “it” factor in all aspects of the game.
Man, I love Shep and I think he's going to be a great player for us. He is not better AT THIS POINT, than any of the ones I listed. By season's end that may change but to start the season he's coming off the bench. I'd guarantee it.

Who is better? Dude looks confident and has tremendous hustle. Honestly who is it?

Silly poster. Cal doesn't always start the guys who deserve it. It's about recruiting and keeping people happy.

Cal already laid the groundwork to cut into Reed's PT. Saying Reed isn't having to deal with expectations or keeping people happy like some other guys. That's cal saying he has some kids that have to keep people happy, so cal has to keep them happy.

One of the most valuable commodities in a basketball game is time, and Sheppard directs the offense faster than anyone else on the team. I think he's the best PG on the team.

I’ve determined which players are best as well myself. I have the full ranking, and I’m very confident about it. I’m going to wait until just before they play their first game to post it.

• Haha
Reactions: HagginHall1999
I’ve determined which players are best as well myself. I have the full ranking, and I’m very confident about it. I’m going to wait until just before they play their first game to post it.

I am holding my breath starting this very moment and waiting for your post.

It has been nice knowing you man. 24 years has gone by way too fast...

Reed is more of a SG. Can he play point? Sure, but every 2 guard in the country “can” play it but it’s obvious it’s not where he is the best fit. Wagner is without question the best PG on the team.
Agree to disagree; as far as Reed leaning more of a 2 guard. True point IMO

Reactions: G-PIP
Shep > Reeves because he averaged much less than him in Canada and lost to him in the 3 point contest.
Shep> Dillingham because he's much slower and didn't put up 40 points

but he's so much better and deserves a legacy starting spot.

Shep > Reeves because he averaged much less than him in Canada and lost to him in the 3 point contest.
Shep> Dillingham because he's much slower and didn't put up 40 points

but he's so much better and deserves a legacy starting spot.
Is your > meant to be a <. Sounds like it

I was going to wait and see them play first but I feel ranking them now makes more sense

You've reached HagginHall, he is personally unable to return your message right now as his best friend of 24 years waited 2 mins to respond to his previous post and due to old age and a prior smoking habit he's passed out. Fortunately your fairly prompt response spared his life.

Haggin would like you to know ranking players prior to them playing is a Rafters tradition unlike anything other (except the Master on CBS).

15 years ago your sarcasm would have some sting, but Youtube came along. Players are now documented like the Warren Report.

And it would add to the sting if comments like ours were considered Holy Writ and not just barroom chatter.

Agree to disagree; as far as Reed leaning more of a 2 guard. True point IMO
To this point, Shepherd looks like a true combo guard to me. But, I do think his best position to help a team may be at PG. And I think that's certainly his future if he plays at the next level. Being a good shooter is a big advantage at the point; it certainly doesn't disqualify a guy from playing PG, rather than 2G.

But, of course, the biggest factor is how a guy impacts the team from a particular spot. Since he would have the ball in his hands a lot: Can he help the rest of the players be more productive, handle under pressure, get the ball to the right spots, keep everybody engaged, etc. I think this is right up Shepherd's alley. Of course, if another player is also a good PG option and not as good for the team at the 2G spot, then a guy like Shepherd would play the 2G on that team. But I still suspect that PG is Shepherds best position for a college team.

Last edited:
Reactions: UKrazycat2
It will be interesting to see how Cal starts this game. I figure he can go two ways: DJ, Dillingham, Reeves, Edwards and Mitchell or DJ, Reeves, Edwards, Theiro and Mitchell. Either way I don't see Reed starting, I do think you will see Reeves minutes slowly dwindle unless he is just shooting lights out from three especially when the big guys come back.

He won’t start because he’s not a player that had to be begged and promised minutes to commit to KY.

Rob is ahead of him at the moment and so is Reeves. DJ struggled a lot and so did Reed, tbh. He lost his man a bunch off the ball on defense and shot like 2 for 7. I'd actually argue Thiero needs to start based on the exhibition. It's only an exhibition though. Reed will be solid for us whether he's the first or second guy off the bench or starting.

Reed is more of a SG. Can he play point? Sure, but every 2 guard in the country “can” play it but it’s obvious it’s not where he is the best fit. Wagner is without question the best PG on the team.
You know this,how? Nit played a single game against top flite competition. Watch Puke orange vs MSU right now . CCC wants no part of either of these two.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT