ADVERTISEMENT

Why was Rex Chapman there?

Like him or not, he's a UK legend.
So? He has trashed this program at every turn.

The program that gave him a chance to get his life back on track after his many troubles.

Wished he had attended Louisville. His own words.

And then has the gall to show up to celebrate Mark Pope and this PROGRAM.

He has done more to criticize this program and criticize the fan base more than all other former players combined. Quite the feat.

Rex is like that relative that most of us have/had. He made bad decisions, has had drug issues, did things that are very hard to forgive and forget, yet when you get around him, you remember the good times pre-problems and can’t help but smile at the good memories.

I wish him the best! He has burnt some bridges for sure. I can definitely understand the younger fan base not giving a flip about him.

I seriously wonder why he showed up. Wasn't it just a few weeks ago he said how much he hated his time at UK. Stated that he wished he had gone to Louisville. How UK fans were redneck racists because of who he dated at UK.

Then I see him hamming it up next to Jeff S when Pope stated he and the coaches would be "shepherds".

I don't get it.
i'm sure he'll be back working for Apple soon : ) drugs r bad mmmmmkaaayyyyyy

Because he’s a Kentucky legend. I bet most of you that hate Rex refer to yourselves as “Christians”. Turn the other cheek you hypocrites

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
Dude has been through some stuff none of us will ever understand. He deserves a chance to redeem himself just like any of us. You don’t like his position then debate it, hate it , whatever, but to write off someone for their political views is why everything is on fire right now.
I think people don’t understand that a lot of things are marketing. His publisher could have said ,we want a shock Jock book. Rex is broke. He writes what he’s told to write. What the publisher thinks will sell. Hate sells, bad news sells, doom and gloom sells. Watch some WWE episodes and tell me you think what they say is real. lol. It sells.

Reactions: chroix
IMO Rex is weird. He's comes across that in interviews. I don't know if it's the drugs or that's just who is but he is definitely cringe. I wish he would stay away from the program.

Let’s be real , it is not ok for those people to be racist towards his gf and also treat him the way they did.

But Rex should also say it in a way that doesn’t make it sound like all of UK fandom is like that.

Reactions: catagious
Let’s be real , it is not ok for those people to be racist towards his gf and also treat him the way they did.

But Rex should also say it in a way that doesn’t make it sound like all of UK fandom is like that.

You're right. It's not. But I was there. No one cared! If anything it made him even cooler.

Though I will admit I'm speaking as a guy. White girls might have felt differently. I don't know.

Reactions: Wildcat-in-STL

Let's be really real.....Don't trash the program as a whole and say you wish you had attended Louisville, and then show up at an event that is to honor the new coach and the program.

Pretty simple.....just stay away from the institution you despise. You won't be missed.

Because he is one of UKs greatest and most recognized players. And he supports UK at every opportunity he gets.
A couple of things.

He is not one of the most recognized. Maybe in Kentucky but nationally people do not know him or recognize him.

He absolutely does not support UK every opportunity he gets. Quite the opposite.

Reactions: dezyDeco and catben
Chapman loves the spotlight. I attended his camp many years ago and I can tell you first hand he was confident as he was talented. A leopard can't change his spots.

Drugs can mess up a mind for years but i over the years I have not heard to many good things about him. I hope he gets his life straighten one day.

Rex is like that relative that most of us have/had. He made bad decisions, has had drug issues, did things that are very hard to forgive and forget, yet when you get around him, you remember the good times pre-problems and can’t help but smile at the good memories.

I wish him the best! He has burnt some bridges for sure. I can definitely understand the younger fan base not giving a flip about him.
Drunk Uncle!!!!

A couple of things.

He is not one of the most recognized. Maybe in Kentucky but nationally people do not know him or recognize him.

He absolutely does not support UK every opportunity he gets. Quite the opposite.

The last few months, I've seen him on every media outlet in the country.

And I see his Twitter more visibly than other former players. And he is always talking UK.

His book is largely about UK and his love for UK.

• Haha
FWIW, he tells the same race related stories about the Charlotte Hornets and being told not to have a black GF by the owner. Trolling clicks and attention is all he is now.
Did he really do that? 😂 That’s ridiculous to think an NBA owners would give a crap about who his players went out with.

So from a distance "it made him even cooler" to you. But his actual first hand experience doesn't matter?

I had quite a few fraternity brothers from Owensboro and one knew Rex. They worshipped the guy. Most people on campus did. He was everybody's favorite UK player of all time. Some jokingly called it Rexington. After the Little Brother Game it was crazy. He would have to be a complete narcissist to see only the handful of haters in that sea of adoration.

Reactions: dezyDeco
I seriously wonder why he showed up. Wasn't it just a few weeks ago he said how much he hated his time at UK. Stated that he wished he had gone to Louisville. How UK fans were redneck racists because of who he dated at UK.

Then I see him hamming it up next to Jeff S when Pope stated he and the coaches would be "shepherds".

I don't get it.
I read his book. He doesn’t think that. He enjoyed his time at UK; he grew up a UL fan. Mixed emotions. Not everything is black and white.

That’s because this site doesn’t reflect the overall fan base. If it did, serious eugenics would be in order
I’ll counter that by saying most fans don’t follow Rex’s Twitter page or are even aware of his political leanings. Heck, I’d say that most of BBN doesn’t even know he has a book out and has not seen ANY of those disparaging remarks he made about UK.

They just remember the Rex that was the boy king.

A pathological attention whore like Rex wouldn’t skip such a big attention event.

I knew he’d not only be there, but also be trying to put himself in spots where he’d get as much camera time as possible.

A pathological attention whore like Rex wouldn’t skip such a big attention event.

I knew he’d not only be there, but also be trying to put himself in spots where he’d get as much camera time as possible.
And he needs to sell more books. But he is so narcissistic that he doesn’t realize the things he said about UK and growing up a Cards fan in the book won’t inspire UK fans to buy it.

Reactions: dezyDeco and UK90
I don’t agree that Rex “trashes UK” at every opportunity. He’s harped on the situation with not being able to publicly date a black girl while he was at UK for decades, which combined with knowing the attitudes toward interracial relationships at the time, makes me think it’s probably true.

From personal experience, it was like that back then. I am a little younger than Rex bit not by much. Interracial dating was very taboo in the little Kentucky town I grew up in until at least the late 90s and our population was more racially diverse than a lot of the state at the time. White girls who dated black men or white men who dated black women were often slurred and called something horrible that ended in “lover.” It’s gross, but that’s how it was back then.

Rex also is a well documented attention whore who’s struggled mightily with addiction. His brain is wired to need a dopamine rush, and these days he gets it by spouting hot takes online.

So? He has trashed this program at every turn.

The program that gave him a chance to get his life back on track after his many troubles.

Wished he had attended Louisville. His own words.

And then has the gall to show up to celebrate Mark Pope and this PROGRAM.

He has done more to criticize this program and criticize the fan base more than all other former players combined. Quite the feat.
Including intentional distractions before a title game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT