ADVERTISEMENT

Why Recruit Karter Knox

Edwards will not be back. No way. Isn’t happening. I’ve seen this movie too many times before. We all know how it ends.

My scenario (adding Knox and either Johnson or Peterson) is the most likely to happen.

It is possible Onyenso returns, though. If he does, I think Burks could bolt. There’s not enough minutes in the frontcourt for both.

Quaintance/Thiero/Onyenso/Cyril will be our 4-5 rotation.

Sheppard/Johnson or Peterson/Knox/Fland/Richmond will be our 1-3 rotation.

That’s the 9-man rotation.
Your scenario is most likely to happen only if Edwards is okay with being a second round pick, which is what he currently is at best.

Yes, we've seen this one end many times over, but keep in mind that Andrew Harrison was a top 5ish guy and he came back because of his second round pick status. It's happened before. Maybe Edwards is hell-bent on going like Boston was though.

We'll see, but let's keep in mind we've never seen a complete freefall from a top 5 guy before outside of Boston. At least Andrew Harrison was competent as a frosh. Edwards offers next to nothing at this point.

Don’t understand the hate here. The kid is a consensus top 15 recruit. He is a decent shooter. His 3 point stats are actually better than Dilligham’s at OTE. See below. Watched him multiple times and really like his game

Last edited:
Reactions: shodaman
Your scenario is most likely to happen only if Edwards is okay with being a second round pick, which is what he currently is at best.

Yes, we've seen this one end many times over, but keep in mind that Andrew Harrison was a top 5ish guy and he came back because of his second round pick status. It's happened before. Maybe Edwards is hell-bent on going like Boston was though.

We'll see, but let's keep in mind we've never seen a complete freefall from a top 5 guy before outside of Boston. At least Andrew Harrison was competent as a frosh. Edwards offers next to nothing at this point.
I would be fine having Edwards back, but it’s highly unlikely.

If Cal gets a Knox commit after the visit, it probably means Edwards is gone. Not enough room for both.

I'll bet my next month's salary that Edwards is not at UK next season.

Knox will be a nice piece. As others have said, he's not "the guy" to lead a team, especially as a freshman. But you need depth and he's a consensus top 15 guy. For most teams, he would be the crown jewel of their recruiting class. At UK, people are suggesting Cal should pass on him.

Reactions: gharding07
Ideally we get Peterson as the transcendent reclass, and Johnson stays with his current class.

The issue with this is the age thing. Peterson is 1/17/07, 6 months older than Quaintance, but 6 months younger than Fland. He would have to stay in college two years also, I believe.

Jasper Johnson is actually older than Fland - 3/25/06, so he should be senior this year. I see his re-classifying as much more likely than Peterson, no matter what they say in the media.

The issue with this is the age thing. Peterson is 1/17/07, 6 months older than Quaintance, but 6 months younger than Fland. He would have to stay in college two years also, I believe.

Jasper Johnson is actually older than Fland - 3/25/06, so he should be senior this year. I see his re-classifying as much more likely than Peterson, no matter what they say in the media.
That’s a good point. Johnson is a prime candidate to reclass because of his age. He’s older than most of the ‘24 class.

Reactions: true blue1
Im surprised no one has mention the possibility of Big Z coming back....I would not be surprised at all...Only reason I would think this wouldnt happen is because of NIL for foreign student
I just posted a thread about it.

I think he'll be back. We'll have an elite frontcourt next year if he returns.

Ivisic returns next season and we could have one very crowded frontcourt.

We could have Quaintance, Cyril, Burks, Thiero, Onyenso, and Ivisic at the 4-5 spots.

Burks probably sees the writing on the wall, and transfers.

Thiero probably ends up playing a lot at SF, depending on who we have on the wing.

Quaintance at the 4 mostly.

Onyenso at the 5.

Ivisic playing both the 4 and 5.

Cyril plays the rest of the minutes.

Nice problem to have, if you can convince those guys there are enough minutes.

This is exactly right. Fland and Perry can shoot. I think Jasper Johnson re-classifies too and he is an elite shooter. Plus Sheppard may come back, but if not, I bet Calipari gets a transfer shooter like Grady or Reeves.
I think the only way shep doesn't come back next year is if he's not a top 5 or if we win 9. I think he has a big chance of coming back next year. That will vastly help our shooting too. If Edwards wasn't dumb, he could pull a Terrance Jones and come back. He can work on his skills and be a beast like what he was supposed to be this year.

Reactions: westerncat
Knox has made it as clear (or even clearer) as Cason Wallace did that he’s only playing one year somewhere before entering the draft. But as long as you have the available scholarships (need to have a couple for the best CBB pieces you can add for one year – i.e., the transfer portal), you’re not promising him minutes, and he won’t be a chemistry issue due to playing behind a top portal 2G/SF, then why not take him?

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Knox has made it as clear (or even clearer) as Cason Wallace did that he’s only playing one year somewhere before entering the draft. But as long as you have the available scholarships (need to have a couple for the best CBB pieces you can add for one year – i.e., the transfer portal), you’re not promising him minutes, and he won’t be a chemistry issue due to playing behind a top portal 2G/SF, then why not take him?
What I fear is Cal using the team to get him to the pro's in one year.

What I fear is Cal using the team to get him to the pro's in one year.
I would sure hope not.

In regard to potential (“talent”), I think Knox and Richmond are two of the best looking SFs coming out of high school. But I don’t believe either is a good enough option to start at SF for UK next season. (Maybe at Memphis, Arizona St., or USC; but not at a blue-blood basketball program expecting to compete for a title). But between the two, I like Richmond better as a SF recruit for a couple of reasons. First, I think he’s a multi-year player and therefore there’s a much better chance UK gets the benefit of that maturity and skill honing development, and that won’t happen with Knox. Secondly, I think Richmond will be fine as a freshman playing behind a top transfer portal SF.

I might even put Fland above Knox in that scenario. Fland gives me Tyrese Maxey vibes.

Ideally, Fland is our third guard next season.
Agreed.

And if that’s the case, Cal could go 3 guards with Sheppard, Fland, and Johnson (or Peterson or portal player) together.

Can Quaintance shoot? Because don’t forget this year is special because: Big Z, Mitchell, Bradshaw, Wagner, Sheppard, Dillingham, Reeves are all YES! Edwards is a borderline but you have to guard him on the perimeter so I’ll give him a yes too. The only two no’s are Thiero & Ugo.

Can Quaintance shoot? Because don’t forget this year is special because: Big Z, Mitchell, Bradshaw, Wagner, Sheppard, Dillingham, Reeves are all YES! Edwards is a borderline but you have to guard him on the perimeter so I’ll give him a yes too. The only two no’s are Thiero & Ugo.
Quaintance has some perimeter skills. Probably more skilled than Bradshaw and maybe Edwards.

Quaintance has some perimeter skills. Probably more skilled than Bradshaw and maybe Edwards.
Thanks for the info! That makes me feel better. I think we lose: Dilly, Wagner, Reeves, Mitchell, Edwards, Big Z and Ugo.

That means we already have the “non-shooters” of: Thiero, Somto, and Richmond on the roster. I understand the trepidation of adding Knox with the current shooting statistics. Especially is he is a PF because Thiero keeps improving more and more and likely gets the SF/PF spot next year with Quaintance.

I think that will be the case:

1. Sheppard
2. A legit SG (Johnson, Peterson, or Portal)
3. Quaintance
4. Thiero
5. Knox
Don't forget about Perry. I saw both he and Fland play several games at the City of Palms classic. Perry is unflappable, always plays under control, is a dead eye shooter and the smartest player I saw during the tournament. He will be an excellent replacement for Reed who I think is going to the NBA. Fland reminds me of Dilly with his quickness and speed. Both of them will play at least 25 minutes each next year. If we have guards that can keep those two on the bench then the NCAA should go ahead and mail us the championship Trophy. I also like Knox based on the videos I've seen. He is a tough kid who looks like a linebacker and is not afraid to mix it up. We need some Robey/Phillips, James Lee and Migloire type players rather than so many beanpole/zipper types we've had in the last few years. Just my humble opinion!

• Love
Knox's last 7 games:

27/65 from three. That's 42% from the three line.

He's now shooting 34% from three on the season and 44% from the field.

For comparison, Aaron Harrison shot 34% from three as a high school senior.

I'm not sure I see an issue here. We will land Knox if/when Edwards leaves for the NBA this spring.

Last edited:
Reactions: shaudyshaud
If Cal wants Knox here then I hope Knox comes here. And that is the only hold up. If Cal says come on down then Knox is a Wildcat.

Knox's last 7 games:

27/65 from three. That's 42% from the three line.

He's now shooting 34% from three on the season and 44% from the field.

For comparison, Aaron Harrison shot 34% from three as a high school senior.

I'm not sure I see an issue here. We will land Knox if/when Edwards leaves for the NBA this spring.

Likewise his soph and junior year 3pt shooting was fine as was his numbers from EYBL. Everyone just ignored my post from earlier.

Don't forget about Perry. I saw both he and Fland play several games at the City of Palms classic. Perry is unflappable, always plays under control, is a dead eye shooter and the smartest player I saw during the tournament. He will be an excellent replacement for Reed who I think is going to the NBA. Fland reminds me of Dilly with his quickness and speed. Both of them will play at least 25 minutes each next year. If we have guards that can keep those two on the bench then the NCAA should go ahead and mail us the championship Trophy. I also like Knox based on the videos I've seen. He is a tough kid who looks like a linebacker and is not afraid to mix it up. We need some Robey/Phillips, James Lee and Migloire type players rather than so many beanpole/zipper types we've had in the last few years. Just my humble opinion!
I feel many on this board are overlooking Perry just like they did Sheppard.

I just can’t see Perry being another Sheppard. Two in a row from Kentucky? Underrated and college ready from the word go?

What’s the old adage about lightning not striking the same place twice?

Color me skeptical.

I hope I am wrong, but I don’t see him being Shep 2.0.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT