ADVERTISEMENT

Why not Austin MacGinnis?

maysvilleky

All-American
Aug 13, 2003
Some kickers have been absolutely atrocious this year yet MacGuinnis is still available. I don’t get it. It seems teams either suffer with what they got or try to retread a has been kicker. Is there questions about AM’s leg strength?

He said on a KSR Football podcast that being a kicker int he NFL is really political and about existing relationships. Basically a team will sign a guy who's been cut by 5 teams before giving a new guy a shot. Getting in is harder than staying.

Another reason not to watch them. might watch a minute or two if a UK player is playing. Liked Denver when they had three players, think it's none now.

Austin is an all-time UK great......that doesn't mean that he was great nationally.

2017 - Austin was ranked 45th for FG%
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2017-kicking.html

2016 - Ranked 22nd
2015 - Ranged 54th

Then consider this:
-There are 32 teams in the NFL. And most only carry 1 kicker.

-And kickers can have really long careers.
https://oklahoman.com/article/3706375/nfl-kickers-careers-can-last-much-longer-than-average-players

-There are ~130 college football teams. And this doesn't include kickers from the Canadian league, Arena football, other sports. Basically, there a bunch of candidates every year for very few jobs.

-"More than half of the 32 NFL teams have a kicker age 30 or older."

-
Austin's career collegiate FG% is 79.7%. That would be good enough for 61st.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/fg_perc_career.htm

-Also the average NFL kicker yields a higher percentage from distance as they routinely kick >50 yds.

Now, this DOES NOT mean that Austin can't make it. He's getting looked at and is getting try outs. He just needs to keep going and hope for the best.

Yeah, I don’t know about the politics angle.
I think there's some truth to it. For some odd reason, Cody Parkey continues bounce around the league. I think Austin might eventually get there. He's working out with the Cowboys right now with a couple of other guys. None of them won't be signed yet, but the Boys have Maher on a VERY short leash right now.

Each team only keeps one kicker, so it is a highly competitive position, especially considering that kickers can play into their 40s before retiring. What happens is that these teams get comfortable and begin to trust a kicker, and even if he struggles and is cut then others that know that guy will continue to give him a shot over a new name because they already know and trust that guy. So, breaking into it is extremely hard. You just have to keep going to tryouts until you break through.

Austin is an all-time UK great......that doesn't mean that he was great nationally.

2017 - Austin was ranked 45th for FG%
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2017-kicking.html

2016 - Ranked 22nd
2015 - Ranged 54th

Then consider this:
-There are 32 teams in the NFL. And most only carry 1 kicker.

-And kickers can have really long careers.
https://oklahoman.com/article/3706375/nfl-kickers-careers-can-last-much-longer-than-average-players

-There are ~130 college football teams. And this doesn't include kickers from the Canadian league, Arena football, other sports. Basically, there a bunch of candidates every year for very few jobs.

-"More than half of the 32 NFL teams have a kicker age 30 or older."

-
Austin's career collegiate FG% is 79.7%. That would be good enough for 61st.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/fg_perc_career.htm

-Also the average NFL kicker yields a higher percentage from distance as they routinely kick >50 yds.

Now, this DOES NOT mean that Austin can't make it. He's getting looked at and is getting try outs. He just needs to keep going and hope for the best.
Read he's working out for the Cowboys this week.

Reactions: BlueRaider22
Lacks the leg strength but is very accurate <50 yards as we all know. Kickers are a dime a dozen.

I would guess leg strength is the biggest issue. Remember he would be kick off as well and I know I'm getting old but I don't remember him getting it to the endzone on a regular basis. Also most of the big time kickers have the leg on a good day to hit a 60 yarder. Love Big Mac though never worried about him making the kick when he played at UK. He was as good as money in pressure situations.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Worked out for the Cowboys this week. Cowboys kicker just missed a field goal. Apparently, Math is hard for the Cowboys...

Reactions: sluggercatfan
I'm a Colts fan and I'd try just about anybody at kicker at this point. Love Vinateri and hes easily the all time best kicker but hes done.

I think there's some truth to it. For some odd reason, Cody Parkey continues bounce around the league. I think Austin might eventually get there. He's working out with the Cowboys right now with a couple of other guys. None of them won't be signed yet, but the Boys have Maher on a VERY short leash right now.

Politics? Sounds like a 7th grade mother after her son has been cut from the team

It is a hard industry to get your foot in the door. How many failed coaches keep popping back up at other places? That goes for both college and pro. All these guys know each other and a phone call can go a long way in getting a job.

He sucks at Kickoffs is what I am hearing. He can't drive the ball off the Tee and put it in ENDZONE for touchbacks is why he isn't getting an NFL contract. NFL teams are not wanting to have to pay 2 kickers for 2 different jobs.

It is a hard industry to get your foot in the door. How many failed coaches keep popping back up at other places? That goes for both college and pro. All these guys know each other and a phone call can go a long way in getting a job.
If I am the coach I am going to get the best guy who can help me win. I mean my job is on the line

He sucks at Kickoffs is what I am hearing. He can't drive the ball off the Tee and put it in ENDZONE for touchbacks is why he isn't getting an NFL contract. NFL teams are not wanting to have to pay 2 kickers for 2 different jobs.
Don't remember him having that problem at UK.

Last edited:
Don't render him having that problem at UK.

Unfortunately, the statistics say your memory is off. His Senior season he was 97th in kickoff distance and 42.25% touchback percent. Top kickers have a 70-85 touchback percent. As an underclassman his touchback % was 32-37

Hate to hear this is holding him back, but it's legit. I wonder if that can be corrected? If not, maybe a team that has a punter who can kickoff

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT