ADVERTISEMENT

Why is UL ranked ahead of UK?

Rockfly78

Senior
Nov 20, 2014
I have not paid any attention off season happenings. All I know is Kentucky gets up in that ass every single Thanksgiving. Did UL just do really well in the portal this off season or did they make some sort of change or something? I imagine they are still living off of that nice record against weak opponents last year. How does UK measure up against what the AP is calling the number 26 team in the country this season?

Reactions: Ky grandpa
My guess is at some point there's a conference bias over actual quality. Writers get tired of SEC teams - 9 in top 25 - so they pick 3rd/4th/5th best in other conferences. There's only 3 ACC in T25. Only 7 from B1G with 18 schools. 5 from B12.

It is especially absurd as UK is the home team and has a solid roster coming back...at least on defense and TE/WR on offense....truly silly to match them over UK in polls.

It is especially absurd as UK is the home team and has a solid roster coming back...at least on defense and TE/WR on offense....truly silly to match them over UK in polls.
I think most fans would expect the Cards to have the better record when viewing the teams' opponents. They will likely be ranked higher when we meet.

If our defense isn't banged up, I really like our chances. Deone will be the best player on the field and the Cards clearly demonstrated last year that they cannot block him. UK will add one more to the current streak. Hope Cards are top 5 when we beat them.

Because they
I have not paid any attention off season happenings. All I know is Kentucky gets up in that ass every single Thanksgiving. Did UL just do really well in the portal this off season or did they make some sort of change or something? I imagine they are still living off of that nice record against weak opponents last year. How does UK measure up against what the AP is calling the number 26 team in the country this season?
Because they don’t base it of one game, heck Louisville beat 3 of the teams ranked ahead of them last year. My guess is at this point in the year they think Louisville will end up with w better record than UK when all is said and done.

Because they

Because they don’t base it of one game, heck Louisville beat 3 of the teams ranked ahead of them last year. My guess is at this point in the year they think Louisville will end up with w better record than UK when all is said and done.
Flip the schedule and UofL wouldn't g ave a winning record and UK would have 9 or 10 wins.

Because playing in the ACC gets you an extra 2-3 wins a year if you are decent so their teams are typically overrated. A proper top 25 would have 20 SEC/Big 10 teams, everybody knows that, but you can’t do it that way for whatever reason.

The media is going to hype them up, the fans buy in to it, playoff talk starts happening, this board gets overloaded by cocky UL fans, then a middle pack SEC team overwhelms them pushing their fans over the edge. Can’t remember the UL dude that talked shit on here all of last season and totally lost it on here when we beat them for our 5th straight. Think he was banned but he’s the type that buys into these rankings like many others and can’t handle it when they’re exposed. I hope they’re top 10 when we meet because beating up on those ACC teams isn’t going to prepare them for what’s coming.

Easy to explain, people think UL will have a better record than us because UL plays in the ACC. We have a MUCH tougher schedule. Teams are ranked on Wins not talent. They think UL will have more wins in 2024 than UK. The folks ranking teams probably don't know or care that UL is on our schedule.

The media is going to hype them up, the fans buy in to it, playoff talk starts happening, this board gets overloaded by cocky UL fans, then a middle pack SEC team overwhelms them pushing their fans over the edge. Can’t remember the UL dude that talked shit on here all of last season and totally lost it on here when we beat them for our 5th straight. Think he was banned but he’s the type that buys into these rankings like many others and can’t handle it when they’re exposed. I hope they’re top 10 when we meet because beating up on those ACC teams isn’t going to prepare them for what’s coming.
Yep…the last 2 times they have had highly ranked teams with dreams of a major bowl (2016 & 2023), a mediocre Kentucky team rolled into Papa John’s and beat them.

Easy to explain, people think UL will have a better record than us because UL plays in the ACC. We have a MUCH tougher schedule. Teams are ranked on Wins not talent. They think UL will have more wins in 2024 than UK. The folks ranking teams probably don't know or care that UL is on our schedule.
Then why do sec teams with more losses get a higher final regular season playoff seed then 1 loss teams from pac10, Big12 or Acc?

Uk has won the UL game 6 of last 7 times…and many of those have been blood baths for Uk. Yo has had I’d argue 3 disappointing seasons going into UL snd whooped them even when a poor season was behind them

Why we’d not be favored when we bring back a ton more is beyond reason

They get the benefit of playing in the ACC. They’re relying on a broken QB, 30+ mediocre transfers, terrible recruiting classes. We’re better at every position and deeper. The media are in love with Brohm and their record against the easiest schedule last season. They would have been 5-7 with our last years schedule and not even mentioned with our schedule this season.

It’s simple.
Teams are not ranked by who they think are the best teams in the entire country.
Teams are ranked pre season on how likely it is with their schedule they will be successful.
Kentuckys schedule is ranked in the top ten in difficulty. They will be underdogs in probably 6 games and predicted to lose those games.
Louisvilles schedule is the easiest power 5 schedule in the entire country by PFF. They will be underdogs in 2 of their games all year and projected to win the rest.
That puts Kentuckys projected record at 7-5
Louisvilles at 10-2.
That’s how Louisville is ranked higher.
We are a better team but we play a tragically harder schedule. Almost criminally harder.

My guess is at this point in the year they think Louisville will end up with w better record than UK when all is said and done.
Well, of course they will. Kentucky will host #1 Georgia, then at #4 Texas, at #6 Ole Miss and at #15 Tennessee. We also have to go to Florida. South Carolina at home will not be easy at all. Auburn will be tough, I don't know if the Cats can hang with them.

This could be a 6-6 season or 5-7.

It’s simple.
Teams are not ranked by who they think are the best teams in the entire country.
Teams are ranked pre season on how likely it is with their schedule they will be successful.
Kentuckys schedule is ranked in the top ten in difficulty. They will be underdogs in probably 6 games and predicted to lose those games.
Louisvilles schedule is the easiest power 5 schedule in the entire country by PFF. They will be underdogs in 2 of their games all year and projected to win the rest.
That puts Kentuckys projected record at 7-5
Louisvilles at 10-2.
That’s how Louisville is ranked higher.
We are a better team but we play a tragically harder schedule. Almost criminally harder.
So why is this pre season top 10 all Big 10, SEC teams with 1 ACC and then stupid Notre Dame if final regular season will for sure have some of those teams with worse win/loss records than some of the Pac 10, Big 12 and then those team like Boise St, Cincy, etc that will go undefeated in much weaker conference?

Your logic as to why UL is favored as they'll final regular season record vs. UK surely doesn't hold to other top notch teams. It is silly just based upon the teams to favor UL over UK in the final game. UK has dominated this game for a long stretch. Secondly, Brohm with his new coaching is great and all....but again he's all offense with some spotty defense (just like he was at Purdue)...and finally, UK brings back just about the entire defense, a good WR core, solid TE room and pieces of the Oline back.

UL on the other hand loses QB, RB, best WR, 4 Oline and 5 defensive starters (1 of which was NFL draft in secondary).

UK is the home team.

I get UL is transfer focus....but again that strategy has yet to prove you can build a great team. (Maybe supplement your roster but not major overhaul year after year).

So if people want to rationalize UL to be favored...there is no logic to why for just the 1 game between UK/UL at end of season.

1Georgia (46)1,532
2Ohio State (15)1,490
3Oregon (1)1,403
4Texas1,386
5Alabama1,260
6Ole Miss1,189
7Notre Dame1,122
8Penn State1,060
9Michigan995
10Florida State971

So why is this pre season top 10 all Big 10, SEC teams with 1 ACC and then stupid Notre Dame if final regular season will for sure have some of those teams with worse win/loss records than some of the Pac 10, Big 12 and then those team like Boise St, Cincy, etc that will go undefeated in much weaker conference?

Your logic as to why UL is favored as they'll final regular season record vs. UK surely doesn't hold to other top notch teams. It is silly just based upon the teams to favor UL over UK in the final game. UK has dominated this game for a long stretch. Secondly, Brohm with his new coaching is great and all....but again he's all offense with some spotty defense (just like he was at Purdue)...and finally, UK brings back just about the entire defense, a good WR core, solid TE room and pieces of the Oline back.

UL on the other hand loses QB, RB, best WR, 4 Oline and 5 defensive starters (1 of which was NFL draft in secondary).

UK is the home team.

I get UL is transfer focus....but again that strategy has yet to prove you can build a great team. (Maybe supplement your roster but not major overhaul year after year).

So if people want to rationalize UL to be favored...there is no logic to why for just the 1 game between UK/UL at end of season.

1Georgia (46)1,532
2Ohio State (15)1,490
3Oregon (1)1,403
4Texas1,386
5Alabama1,260
6Ole Miss1,189
7Notre Dame1,122
8Penn State1,060
9Michigan995
10Florida State971
You don’t have to convince me brother. I firmly believe UK is the better team. Favored vs Ranked is two separate animals tho. Ranked is by media dumbass that see wins vs terrible opponents and vote for that team.
Favored is the line in Vegas by professionals trained to make money.
Still, Somehow, Vegas continues every year to favor them as well. I have made a fortune the last 6 years so I’m not complaining but, has Vegas ever been as wrong about any other team??
My guess is Vegas isn’t losing money by favoring them. Everyone in the country sees 10-2 as their record. 7-5 as ours and loads up on the Cards.
Everyone in Ky hammers that line evening out the money bet around the Country.
It’s a win, Win for the hillbillies.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT