ADVERTISEMENT

Why is UK's run D so poor?

mrschwump

All-American
Nov 4, 2006
We've cussed and discussed UK's QB situation to death. To me another dire situation is UK's run D. Two straight games UK's given up 100+ yards to 2 of opponent's backs. Teams are averaging 5 yards a pop on the ground. We all knew the D would be sorely tested his year but this is worse than we thought. Good backs, plus UGA's massive OL and great runners are on the horizon.

The DL was thought to be a strength and indeed Taylor's playing well but the others seem to be dragging. I think a lot of the problem with stopping the run is with UK's LBs. Still wonder if Paschal isn't getting worn down. Wright's made a few plays and is going to be really good but right now needs strength. Oats, J Davis and Square are actually undersized for SEC LBs. Daniel gets sucked in to too many plays and gets out of position. Watson was challenged by Stoops to perform at a higher level pre-SCAR and made a few nice plays has been a disappointment. Maybe XP will eventually. White(Outside) and Sumrall(inside) are the coaches, they need to pick it up because their guys are getting trampled. Then there's UK's slap and tickle tackling technique. What say you?

Anyway, if we don't start seeing significant improvement from the UK D re opponent's running game the UK QB situation isn't going to really matter.

First thing that comes to my mind is maybe Matt House was a much larger loss than I'd initially anticipated. I don't know enough schematically to flesh that out any further. :)
I agree with this BUT, after the first game this year I posted a thread that said our guys on the line (BOTH LINES) looked FAT. Out of shape fat and DIDNT look ANYTHING like last years lines. I don’t think we picked up size vs. last year that was good growth. Looked more like excess pizza growth. That has to SLOW us down in run defense, hence the SIGNIFICANT drop in performance.

We don't have West and Edwards crashing down on the run. We don't have Johnson and Beatty getting off blocks and sealing the edge. We don't have Jordan Jones to run around like a wild man at 100 mph. We don't have Josh to scare the living crap out of the offense every play.

We don't have West and Edwards crashing down on the run. We don't have Johnson and Beatty getting off blocks and sealing the edge. We don't have Jordan Jones to run around like a wild man at 100 mph. We don't have Josh to scare the living crap out of the offense every play.
Re Jones, Rowland mentioned yesterday the guy had over 300 tackles in his career. Knew it was a lot, didn't realize it was that many.

We have big boys up front but they aren’t generating much explosion or penetration and moving the LOS.

First contact can’t consistently be by your LBs. If a RB has a 5-10 yard head start (including space in the backfield) before they get to the 2nd level (LBs coming up to meet them 1-2 yds last the LOS) then there are going to be a lot of missed tackles and falling forward for 3-5 yards. It’s the same thing that made Benny so impactful last year.

Watched the SC/KY game and announcers in the first quarter were talking about the UK DL with their hands on hips, bent over like they were already gassed at it was the first quarter. Sometimes added weight isn't good weight and mixed with a lack of conditioning can make DL ineffective.

We have a very undisciplined "mike" LB who while being undisciplined is also a step slow. I believe Echols and Corker are two of our top tacklers, which isn't good.

Reactions: merrimanm
One thing that I noticed on Saturday was that McCall got blown up at least twice in a row. He basically just stood straight up and then got driven back 3-4 yards. There was no penetration and there was not even a holding his ground. When this happens, it basically resets the LOS and makes it much easier for the run game to get positive yards right up the gut.

We've cussed and discussed UK's QB situation to death. To me another dire situation is UK's run D. Two straight games UK's given up 100+ yards to 2 of opponent's backs. Teams are averaging 5 yards a pop on the ground. We all knew the D would be sorely tested his year but this is worse than we thought. Good backs, plus UGA's massive OL and great runners are on the horizon.

The DL was thought to be a strength and indeed Taylor's playing well but the others seem to be dragging. I think a lot of the problem with stopping the run is with UK's LBs. Still wonder if Paschal isn't getting worn down. Wright's made a few plays and is going to be really good but right now needs strength. Oats, J Davis and Square are actually undersized for SEC LBs. Daniel gets sucked in to too many plays and gets out of position. Watson was challenged by Stoops to perform at a higher level pre-SCAR and made a few nice plays has been a disappointment. Maybe XP will eventually. White(Outside) and Sumrall(inside) are the coaches, they need to pick it up because their guys are getting trampled. Then there's UK's slap and tickle tackling technique. What say you?

Anyway, if we don't start seeing significant improvement from the UK D re opponent's running game the UK QB situation isn't going to really matter.
I think a big part of it is overpersuit. (This coming from a guy "me" that preaches agressiveness is always best". But I watched it the other day looking for why we werent doing a better job and it looked like our LBs were alwasy trying to rush up into a hole to get a tackle for a loss and most of the time just getting stuck on a block with no vision or ability to free themselve to make a tackle as the RB goes by. Getting stuck on blocks is the number one nemesis for any defender IMO.

So maybe a little more patience and hang back before pursuit on run plays then explode to the tackle instead of getting stuck on block with nothing to do but stick an arm out that is just run through. LB's and safeties have to be making most of these tackles and they have to keep their arms and feet free to move and make them.

I'll take 10 two to three yard stops all day vs. 2 tackles for a loss and 8 7 yard stops

Reactions: mrschwump
Because it was hot in Starkville. That’s the best excuse I’ve heard.

We lost to much to maintain what we had, line and linebackers are not as good, cold hard facts. I think we can do better than what we are doing though. Like zcats said West and Edwards were great run stoppers at their positions and that is sorely missed.

Reactions: merrimanm
Our linebackers are the main problem. We have one good LBer in Square, then we have an inconsistent, yet talented one in Oats. Then we have one that just isn't very good in Kash. Then, Boogie, who had to have a heart to heart with the coach for lack of effort. When coaches have to coach effort and attitude, then that is when you have issues.

Last edited:

tackling might be improved.

Our linebackers are the main problem. We have one good LBer on Square, then we have an inconsistent, yet talented one in Oats. Then we have one that just isn't very good in Kash. Then Boogie who had to have a heart to heart with the coach for lack of effort. When coaches have to coach effort and attitude, then ylthat is when you have issues.
Agree, I think the main culprit is LB too. As I mentioned, Square, Oats and J Davis are undersized to defend SEC running games. Just have to hope they can improve thru technique and conditioning. Kind of surprised we haven't seen any of last year's strong LB class signees.

Agree, I think the main culprit is LB too. As I mentioned, Square, Oats and J Davis are undersized to defend SEC running games. Just have to hope they can improve thru technique and conditioning. Kind of surprised we haven't seen any of last year's strong LB class signees.
The good news is all the guys you just named are still very young. They will add strength as they go along and will continue to get better.

We have a very undisciplined "mike" LB who while being undisciplined is also a step slow. I believe Echols and Corker are two of our top tacklers, which isn't good.
Why? West and Edwards were two of our 4 top tacklers last year. It was Allen 88, West 86, some undisciplined slow guy 84, and Edwards with 82 tackles. See DB's are supposed to tackle, even for a top 10 defense.

Well, there's that ...

Re Jones, Rowland mentioned yesterday the guy had over 300 tackles in his career. Knew it was a lot, didn't realize it was that many.
Jordan Jones was a very underrated contributor last year
Before his cast, our defense was top five in the country

Reactions: mrschwump
Our Dline gets blatantly held every play and it hasn’t been called but 1-2 times.

It’s as simple as inexperienced players on the edge and in the alleys and being on the field way to much. If the offense was helping em out any at all our d’s numbers would be much better.

This is the biggest reason, however, our LB's are also not taking the right angles, not getting off of blocks or just not wrapping up. For the past 2 seasons, we had Edwards and West to clean up, now we have inexperienced replacements.

I am baffled at how Kash, Boogie, Oats and even Square at times have looked so bad trying to tackle.

Our LBs are not too small. LBs are normally much smaller today than they were 10 years ago. Our LB size is actually the trend now. Also we need to point out that they were excellent at defending the run and tackling until the 4th quarter against Florida. The past two games the defense played with a noticeable lack of energy. That will make you a bad tackler and overall poor in run defense.

It has also been pointed out accurately that our secondary is not as good in run support this year as it has been in the past. We had big corners that beat run blocks on the edge. Our safeties were excellent in run support. Now we have small corners that do get blocked. We also don't have Edwards, West or even Robinson. Our LBs are not forced to make solo tackles instead of having help.

Last year the Cats were #51 nationally in run defense giving up 152 YPG. Right now they are #90 BUT giving up only 171 YPG. That is only 19 YPG more than what most believed was an excellent run defense.

Anyway, the EZ games for everyone are pretty much over. Stats over the next 4 or 5 games will be much more telling.

Peace

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT