ADVERTISEMENT

Why doest Kentucky get the best players in the state

52T

Oct 26, 2023
Reed Shepherd recently became the highest UK draft pick ever from the state. There were five I think higher from other schools. One other from UK in the top ten. Why don't we sign the best players in the state.

Not every kid grows up a UK fan, some want to go out of state to do their own thing, and sometimes UK doesn’t see a fit. This is the case for every school and the “homegrown player.”

But we consistently don't get our best players. I don't think we have done a good job recruiting them

But we consistently don't get our best players. I don't think we have done a good job recruiting them
Some of that might be due to the previous staff and their priorities, I think we’ve seen a shift in that with the new staff. You’re not going land them all though.

FYI- I don’t know if you’re on the dark mode setting, but your text is white and doesn’t show on the regular mode at all.

Likely because this state doesn’t produce a ton of high D1 basketball prospects year over year. A lot of years our Mr. Basketball is a 2-3 star prospect with offers mostly from midmajors.

I’m all for taking Kentucky kids who can play at this level but am opposed to offering scholarships based solely on someone being from Kentucky.

?????

It only matters if they are good enough to play here. There's not much point in offering the best kid in the state if he'll never play anything but mop up minutes.

Reed Shepherd recently became the highest UK draft pick ever from the state. There were five I think higher from other schools. One other from UK in the top ten. Why don't we sign the best players in the state.
What players are you referencing?

Sheppard, Perry, and Trent Noah.

Leading for Malachi Moreno.

Jasper Johnson is being recruited hard by Pope-was told not all of his staff think Jasper is as good as other guards they could land but Pope's going all in and that is all that matters.

At this time when Nate Oats was hired by Alabama, many questioned it. Hell several here think he's not a great coach and that's with the most success in the history of Alabama Basketball. Now he's favored right now to land Mikel Brown, Jasper Johnson, and AJ Dybantsa (Preston Murphy on Oats Staff has deep ties to Dybantsa) The point being, let the HC coach the team and if he succeeds, recruiting will fall into place.

In the NIL era, many things can change over the course of months, but as of today-that's how things are looking.

Reactions: chroix and WeWant9
Wes unseld. Selvey. Darrell Griffith clem Haskins Melvin turpin were the draft choices. Plenty of others. Butch Beard. Rose. Allan houston. Lost way more than we got
52T, my friend, nobody can read what you post. The letters & characters you are typing appear to be white, and since they are on a white background the words cannot be seen. I'm sure you've got good points, and personally I want to read them, but it's not possible unless you figure out how to fix your problem - maybe change the font (I'm not sure), but others on here could definitely give you good advice to fix the issue.

Reactions: CELTICAT
Some of that might be due to the previous staff and their priorities, I think we’ve seen a shift in that with the new staff. You’re not going land them all though.

FYI- I don’t know if you’re on the dark mode setting, but your text is white and doesn’t show on the regular mode at all.
Thanks I thought it was just me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT