ADVERTISEMENT

Why are effeminate short-shorts making a comeback?

It doesn’t actually make sense to have only two choices for pant length. I buy pants every winter and trim a couple millimeters off of them every day so they are long in the winter, knee length in the spring, and in the summer the pockets stick out from under the fabric. Maximum comfort all year long.

Oh except in the fall when I don’t wear pants.

First these young fellas start wearing women's slippers on draft night.

Next, every college team is rocking out to short-shorts that we used to mock back in the post-80s decade.

Bring back the Fab Five baggy shorts. This is just too much. I know we're in an androgynous society now, but this is embarrassing. Bring back the long shorts.

1440_201810022009.jpg
Grandma bloomers. Everyone one of those guys soak their dentures and drink their laxative when going to bed.

Reactions: Zissou87
I gotta say this. Basketball was supposed to be played in the short short type of uniform. Not until Michigan, did we have to endure some sort of massive disruption of fashion. And because they were relatively good, we couldn't say much. But, WILT didn't play in long shorts, Jordan didn't play in long shorts, you wouldn't expect a swimmer to jump in the pool with long shorts because it looks cool. So, as Rue McLanahan would say, "oh who cares?"

Reactions: UKrazycat2

Next, every college team is rocking out to short-shorts that we used to mock back in the post-80s decade.

Bring back the Fab Five baggy shorts. This is just too much. I know we're in an androgynous society now, but this is embarrassing. Bring back the long shorts.

1440_201810022009.jpg
The long ones are just plain awful. Yuk.

1440_201810022009.jpg
The worst look in history! The baggy ones that is.

Just pick a regular, middle of the road length like it was for the longest time between the F5 and the reoccurrence of shorty shorts. Both of those extremes look pretty dumb, IMO. ...also, the new shorty shorts aren't nearly as bad as the 80s ones, in most cases.

You guys should look up some old pictures of players back in the late 60's. :)

I’m old enough to remember when the Michigan Fab Five debuted those knee-length baggy shorts, most fans were shocked at that look too. They also claimed they were effeminate because they looked like players were wearing a skirt.
Wasn't Arkansas wearing the baggy shorts (like Rick64 said) prior to the Fab Five? I can't remember who did that first?

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Wasn't Arkansas wearing the baggy shorts (like Rick64 said) prior to the Fab Five? I can't remember who did that first?
The trend toward baggier shorts actually began a couple years before the Fab Five. The first college team that I recall getting noticed for it was that 89 Illinois final four team (aka “The Flying Illini”).

But the Fab Five carried the trend to a whole new exaggerated level with the shorts hanging way down below the knee. Which is why they’re the team most associated with it. But, contrary to popular belief, there were other teams doing it before them.

Last edited:
I think they started it then the Fab Five popularized it and got credit.

Americans have been in love with prison culture for a long time. There’s actually a social science behind it. Tattoos, baggy clothes, rap, etc.

started because of the need to be “cool” and look more gangster.

Some People don’t like this, but it’s true. I was guilty of it in high school in the early 2,000’s. White boys would load up on Echo brand ( when it was seen as a white snowboarder look) and baggy jeans. We were generation Eminem.

As I’ve gotten older I think it all is immature and stupid. I still shutter when I see a prominent figure from my group who’s now older with a neck kiss tattoo and dragons down his arms. What the living f.

Im watching a basketball game not a mother loving fashion show. Wear what they want as long as it doesn't get them hurt.

1440_201810022009.jpg
Everything in fashion is a cycle. To the kids today the 90s was 30 years ago, it’s old.

1440_201810022009.jpg
Such a 🤡🤡🤡 post.

I’ll be sagging well into my 70s and 80s. And I’ll be playing Twisted Metal in the nursing home while drinking gin and juice with some fly ass bitches. #millenialforlife

I always liked wearing short shorts when i played because i have a big johnson. The cheerleaders used to be mesmerized

Why exactly do you think short shorts are effeminate? It's an article of clothing and was the predominate sports wear for basketball for way more years than longer shorts were.
Simple question: would you wear shorts like this in public today?

9f870ebb55366fdc231b3dee3a70d121.jpg

• Haha
You avoided my question entirely. Nice try though. If you can't articulate it then maybe you should reconsider your reasoning.
I just did articulate it with a question. Socratic method. Would you wear those shorts in public? Would you consider them masculine?

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Everyone was wearing shit that looked like it was two sizes too big.

Don't forget the JNCO jeans
J186D2-CONVICT-DRK_0005_JNCO_LS_DAY1_-811.jpg
In the late 50's my uncle got out of the US Navy......he gave my mom four pair of bell bottoms........I wore those damn things to school.......first off it was a private school and the only kids who wore denim pants were the poor kids........also being 10 yrs early on bell bottoms wasn't easy either......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT