ADVERTISEMENT

Who's the Punt Returner?

Boz

Blue Chip Prospect
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I doubt Barion Brown is the full time PR. Stoops MO is to have a safe returner who can fair catch the ball. My guess is Farrier fits this role. Thoughts?

Reactions: JrandoUK
I would actually say having better receivers like Maclin and Farrier on the roster makes it more likely BB returns punts and kicks. Thus far, he's demonstrated greater relative value in that role than as a receiver. If doing so should put him out of commission for a while, you've still got several strong enough receivers you can play. BB is one of our best weapons as a return man and should be utilized as such.

I would actually say having better receivers like Maclin and Farrier on the roster makes it more likely BB returns punts and kicks. Thus far, he's demonstrated greater relative value in that role than as a receiver. If doing so should put him out of commission for a while, you've still got several strong enough receivers you can play. BB is one of our best weapons as a return man and should be utilized as such.
Great point Mozzie.

I see this situation similar to the way Lynn Bowden was used. Have a safe guy back there but if you need a play to be made BB is back there to make one.

Reactions: JPFisher
I read somewhere it's Farrier. It's usually the guy coaches feel comfortable can catch the punt consistently ..not necessarily the best at making people miss

Big difference between punt returns and kick offs IMO. Barion is a kick off guy, can catch it safely out of traffic and find his lane and explode. Punt returners are different animals and much harder. Have to be able to make good decisions to catch, fair catch or get away and when catching have to have great hands and no fear. Then after the catch its not about speed but elusiveness most of the time.
Not sure Barion fits all that as much as others would in a box.

From the depth chart released earlier today:

Kickoff Return
7 Barion Brown, 6-1, 182, Jr-2L, Nashville, Tenn. (Pearl-Cohn)
0 Demie Sumo-Karngbaye, 6-0, 210, Sr-1L, Willingboro, N.J. (NC State/Willingboro)

Punt Return
9 Ja’Mori Maclin, 5-11, 190, Jr-Tr, Kirkwood, Mo. (North Texas/Missouri/Kirkwood) or 7 Barion Brown, 6-1, 182, Jr-2L, Nashville, Tenn. (Pearl-Cohn)
6 Dane Key, 6-3, 210, Jr-2L, Lexington, Ky. (Frederick Douglass)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT