ADVERTISEMENT

Who would you pick as the best player to ever play at Kentucky

DI as 1a and AD as 1b. but can’t pick a favorite player. Way too many over the years to pick just one.

Based on college career: Kenny Walker
Based on what he will/might accomplish in the league: KAT

Edit: based on when I started watching in 1981
KAT has not / will not accomplish near as much as AD in the NBA. AD is known as both a offensive and defensive star. KAT hasn't accomplished anything in the NBA. Big KAT fan, but he got abused in a series that he was suppose to dominate with PJ Washington guarding him.

Hagan gotta be up there close.

1. A sophomore backup on Kentucky’s 1951 national champions, Cliff Hagan came into his own as a junior. He averaged 21.6 and 24 points per game in his last two seasons, with the latter average (a Wildcats record at the time) tying for third-best in school history.
    At 6’4”, Hagan was a center for Kentucky, averaging 13.4 rebounds per game for his career.
    Hagan put up impressive numbers in the NBA as well, averaging 20 points or better in four straight seasons and double-digit rebounds in three. A six-time All-Star and one-time NBA champ, Hagan spent the great majority of his Hall of Fame career with the Hawks.

If AD won an NBA championship he’d be the most decorated for sure.

He technically won one in 2020.

Derek Anderson, Antoine Walker, Nazr Mohammed, Rick Robey and Cliff Hagan all won NCAAT titles and NBA world championships as well.

Best all around player skill-wise was Mashburn. Most impactful player I’ve seen has been Anthony Davis. He’s easily the best defensive player we’ve ever had and took advantage of teams not being able to defend the auto-lob.

Tyler Ulis
John Wall
Anthony Davis
Jamal Mashburn
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
Jamal Murray
Kenny Walker
Derek Anderson

Back in the late 60s, I was interested in ... other things .. the way you do, so I don't think I saw a basketball game from UK-Texas Western to 1974 or so. One of my former roommates in 74 got preposterously good tickets those last few years at Memorial so I'd tag along. As a result, I have no experience of Issel beyond his press reports. But, hey, +50 years is +50 years. You try remembering.

I think Tyler Ulis is the most talented player I ever saw play more than once. The rest in that list are about in order though after you get past Mashburn, the distinctions are a little fuzzy.

I've got a little mental asterisk beside Murray and SGA. I first noticed both in HS All Star games. SGA was at one of the last of the Derby games and he absolutely toyed with the competition. I announced to the empty room around me that he was fantastic and would be a star. Murray was at some international HS game where he'd hit those bit-of-English tricky shots that UK players rarely do. I wondered to the same empty room why UK never seems to get players like that.

Reactions: BlueTick2
He technically won one in 2020.

Derek Anderson, Antoine Walker, Nazr Mohammed, Rick Robey and Cliff Hagan all won NCAAT titles and NBA world championships as well.

Best all around player skill-wise was Mashburn. Most impactful player I’ve seen has been Anthony Davis. He’s easily the best defensive player we’ve ever had and took advantage of teams not being able to defend the auto-lob.
True

I would vote Davis. The impact he had and hardware he won is just unmatched. He will also be in the Hall of Fame.

Answering these questions honestly...

Did he have the best statistical career ever at UK?
°No.. That would be Issel.

Best single season?
°Yes. NPOY, DPOY, NCAAT.

Would he have had best career over 3-4 years?
°Yes. His Freshman numbers multiplied by 3 years...1700+ pts, 1250+rebs, 550+ blocks, 150 assists, 150 steals...He would have translated to Top 10 pts, #1 rebounds and blocks, Top 15 steals.

The best small forward at Kentucky was Jamal Mashburn.
The best power forward at Kentucky was Jamal Mashburn.

I bet 1968 Dan Issel would be a great contributor if you teleported him to 2024.
1992 Jamal Mashburn would lead this team in points and rebounds today. And 3rd in assists.

The best small forward at Kentucky was Jamal Mashburn.
The best power forward at Kentucky was Jamal Mashburn.

I bet 1968 Dan Issel would be a great contributor if you teleported him to 2024.
1992 Jamal Mashburn would lead this team in points and rebounds today. And 3rd in assists.
Big Dan was made for the modern game; he was one of the original stretch bigs(maybe even the first?).
Strong enough to muscle guys in the post on offense and defense and get the job done on the boards
and with a beautiful shooting stroke.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT