ADVERTISEMENT

Who stays?

Most of the class departing was always going to happen under Calipari. In some ways, we're lucky in the new NIL/transfer free portal era because a new hire could bring in their recruits from another school. In the older era, we'd be gutted and the new coach would be looking at a 2-3 year rebuild.

Next year could be pretty rough. We might be looking at the NIT.

Might be a very bare year.. but I'm fine with it. Honestly wouldn't mind taking a lot of time to get this right.
We need a home run hire period. I personally wouldn’t even mind someone like McDermott as I think he’s a good coach who could be elevated at a job like UK, keep guys like a Tommy Lloyd under consideration especially if our top options say no. I say we start with Hurley and make him a huge offer, if he won’t leave then we have to go all out on Oats. Start there.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
Most of the class departing was always going to happen under Calipari. In some ways, we're lucky in the new NIL/transfer free portal era because a new hire could bring in their recruits from another school. In the older era, we'd be gutted and the new coach would be looking at a 2-3 year rebuild.

Next year could be pretty rough. We might be looking at the NIT.
Definitely could be, it will be interesting seeing if anyone sticks with the school over Cal but I doubt it these days.

I predict Hart, Burks, maybe Reed, possibly Bradshaw, if enough NIL offered possibly Theiro.

Who leaves ark? How many spots does cal have? Who is replacing him? All of this factors into who returns

I also wouldn't be so sure they all leave until they see who we hire, and I REALLY wouldn't be so sure they follow Cal to a great storied program like UK to go play in Arkansas.

My guess here is that some of the recruits will look at their 2nd option as opposed to following a coach who is tettering on disaster, starting the wrong lineups, giving preferential treatment, sucking in general, etc.

Like if you're Boogie Fland.. are you REALLY sure you want to follow Cal, who basically just got run out of town? How many people following Michael Scott when he left Dunder Mifflin?

If we get Oats, Hurley, or Drew, obviously they're bringing some of their guys with.

Plus, we have 30 to 60 days to hit the portal, and there will be massive playing time. We'll struggle next year because whatever coach comes here will have to work quickly, but year 2 should see a significant increase in overall wins.

I'm expecting a bubble team next year, possibly NIT, and I'm fine with that.

If we get Oats, Hurley, or Drew, obviously they're bringing some of their guys with.

Plus, we have 30 to 60 days to hit the portal, and there will be massive playing time. We'll struggle next year because whatever coach comes here will have to work quickly, but year 2 should see a significant increase in overall wins.

Every single transfer player, if they have half a brain, just heard "new coach at UK?", and will likely have some interest.

Were going to be able to pick almost anyone. It will be no different than the UK womens coach imo: a fresh start at a very good program (or top program for the mens), almost everyone will be in play to come here.

This is Kentucky...I expect a national title next season lol

Reactions: wildcat_nation28
Losing the 6 freshman will be a positive, the new coach will bring players in, Drew would bring VJ, in the portal era you can rebuild in one year.

• Sad
Reactions: shodaman
Just my intuitional guesses

Stay
Perry = 80%
-
Reed = 100% Dependent on next coach
Big Z = 50%, dependent on next coach
Theiro = 50%, dependent on next coach

Everyone else is going to Arkansas, Draft or Transferring

I know for a fact DJ Wagner is 100% going to be a razorback next year if he doesn't go to the draft.

Delusional...A) none of those coaches are coming to UK and B) what player wants to line up and play for this place that eats their own

There's a reason louisville ended up with a Coach from a mid major program

Just my intuitional guesses

Stay
Perry = 80%
-
Reed = 100% Dependent on next coach
Big Z = 50%, dependent on next coach
Theiro = 50%, dependent on next coach

Everyone else is going to Arkansas, Draft or Transferring

I know for a fact DJ Wagner is 100% going to be a razorback next year if he doesn't go to the draft.
I have a VERY hard time believing Z will be a Wildcat now. That is fine, just saying.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
I also wouldn't be so sure they all leave until they see who we hire, and I REALLY wouldn't be so sure they follow Cal to a great storied program like UK to go play in Arkansas.

My guess here is that some of the recruits will look at their 2nd option as opposed to following a coach who is tettering on disaster, starting the wrong lineups, giving preferential treatment, sucking in general, etc.

Like if you're Boogie Fland.. are you REALLY sure you want to follow Cal, who basically just got run out of town? How many people following Michael Scott when he left Dunder Mifflin?
I agree with that. I don't think Arkansas is inviting as Kentucky in my opinion. I think their second choice school will be the destination.

If we by some miracle pull Hurley, I think some may be scared of his intensity. I have watched his practice tendencies, I like how he handles the team and the atmosphere but some as you well know will be scared to come into that environment.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I agree with that. I don't think Arkansas is inviting as Kentucky in my opinion. I think their second choice school will be the destination.

If we by some miracle pull Hurley, I think some may be scared of his intensity. I have watched his practice tendencies, I like how he handles the team and the atmosphere but some as you well know will be scared to come into that environment.

Yeah, and I know guys followed Cal from Memphis to UK, but that sort of made sense.

It seems that in today's game, when coaches move on, especially if fired or in this case "taking a lower job", the recruits will just look towards who their runner up school was.

Hurley is interesting in that regards. If he's winning, then you take his antics. His intensity, his constant bickering with officials, other coaches, fans, etc.. but if he's NOT winning, that gets old quick.

Keep a few guys if we can, then fill the roster with transfers. Build a team of transfers of veterans who mess well, then go. Start recruiting your own team.
Yeah, and I know guys followed Cal from Memphis to UK, but that sort of made sense.

It seems that in today's game, when coaches move on, especially if fired or in this case "taking a lower job", the recruits will just look towards who their runner up school was.

Hurley is interesting in that regards. If he's winning, then you take his antics. His intensity, his constant bickering with officials, other coaches, fans, etc.. but if he's NOT winning, that gets old quick.

Returning players - Reed Sheppard, Joey Hart, and Jordan Burks
Recruiting class - Travis Perry

I think everyone else transfers or goes pro. Many will go to Arkansas.

Returning players - Reed Sheppard, Joey Hart, and Jordan Burks
Recruiting class - Travis Perry

I think everyone else transfers or goes pro. Many will go to Arkansas.
Get Mashburn, Blackmon, the kid from Milwaukee and three others to fill the roster. Try to maintain one or two more incoming freshmen.

We will retain Perry.

If Sheppard returns to college it will be at UK (but I figure he is gone).

Luckily this is the portal era and the new coach will be able to assemble a new roster quickly in the portal.

So he will have a team of college veterans, but they will be new to UK.

I could see the new guy getting Thiero to stay, maybe, since he was leaving Cal anyway. Might make sense for him to stay.

McNeely is still out there as a 5-star burger boy recruit as well.

Jasper Johnson is a reclass possibility.

Best case scenario, get Shep and Thiero back, add McNeely and Johnson, and hit the portal hard and get some guys like Storr, Omoruyi, and Blackmon. I figure some bigger fish will jump into the portal before it closes.

And if Mitch hires from the college ranks, the new coach will bring some of his guys with him.

It’s likely going to be a down year, but I expected that before Cal left. LOL!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT