ADVERTISEMENT

Who is UK’s biggest rival?

Who is UK’s biggest rival

• Total voters
It has to be UaVel. The more interesting question is who is our biggest SEC rival. Hard to say.
EweTee and it’s not even close.

UF when Donovan was there but it’s kinda fallen by the way side.

And I know technically UofSmell is our “rival” but they are definitely a RINO.

In BB...IMO...It used to be IU but that went away.

During that time some chucklehead state employee forced UK to play UofL <=== [laughing]. So we're stuck with that mess. I have to admit that was fun for a while but now it's a bit boring.

So...UK's biggest rival? Hard to say.

Reactions: Backer cutter
In terms of the SEC...
1. In the 70's it was UT and Ray Mears (Grunfeld/King). Alabama was a close second and was pretty good in the early 80's as well.
2. LSU had their moments but flamed out after Shaq & Brown.
3. Arkansas was a huge rival in the mid 90's with Nolan and his good teams.
4. Florida has been consistently good and has been arguably the biggest rival during the Calipari era.

Alabama is 3rd in all time win % in the SEC...62%, top 40 nationally.
I guess it's safe to say we've had rivals by committee in the SEC.

In terms of the SEC...
1. In the 70's it was UT and Ray Mears (Grunfeld/King). Alabama was a close second and was pretty good in the early 80's as well.
2. LSU had their moments but flamed out after Shaq & Brown.
3. Arkansas was a huge rival in the mid 90's with Nolan and his good teams.
4. Florida has been consistently good and has been arguably the biggest rival during the Calipari era.

Alabama is 3rd in all time win % in the SEC...62%, top 40 nationally.
I guess it's safe to say we've had rivals by committee in the SEC.
Fond memory of Pitino's early years. First season eligible for post season play. A beautiful Sunday afternoon and UK destroyed bama 80-54 in the SEC Title game. Threes were falling like rain.

It was a wonderful day.

#1 Indiana - it’s been almost a decade, however when it comes to fan passion and prestige Indiana was the only school that came close to Kentucky for a long time. UNC and Dook fans do not have the passion for basketball that BBN and
Hoosiers fans do.

#2 Louisville - Little brother. I hate to lose to them more than anything. They’re the fanbase that always gloats after a win. A fanbase of yellow journalists always trying to find the next scandal to bring down UK; the irony os sweet. The only program in state that has won titles. I can’t put them #1 we beat them more than not.

#3 Tennessee - I HATE losing to the vile oranges. Vols fans are as trashy as IU fans without the history. Behind UL because they are football fans first snd only care about basketball when they’re good and/or playing UK.

#4 UNC - The only program that is the closest to equaling UK in history and success today. Third because fans lack the passion of BBN. Did not have the bitterness of UK-IU or UK-UL until UNC was caught cheating.

Last edited:
Reactions: UK90 and kyjeff1
It should be Indiana, uNC, duke or… anyone not named Louisville.

UofL is a disgusting dumpster fire that can’t stay out of trouble and the only time they can beat us, is when we are really down. We are now beating them 9 out of 10 times on the court and the football games look like a Power 5 team beating up on little kids.

If I'm UK, I distance myself from them immediately.

In BB...IMO...It used to be IU but that went away.

During that time some chucklehead state employee forced UK to play UofL <=== [laughing]. So we're stuck with that mess. I have to admit that was fun for a while but now it's a bit boring.

So...UK's biggest rival? Hard to say.
Nothing has compared to the IU-UK rivalry of the 70’s for me. That’s what a rivalry is all about. UK-UL , for awhile during Crums best years, after the dream game, were pretty good, not so much anymore. The Pitino-Richardson games were a blast, but didn’t last long enough to be a true rivalry. I would have to say, overall it’s Tennessee. Most probably don’t remember or weren’t born to remember Tennessee heyday of Grunfield and King, but it was an intense rivalry, and older fans still get torn up thinking about it.

Reactions: *CatinIL*
Nothing has compared to the IU-UK rivalry of the 70’s for me. That’s what a rivalry is all about. UK-UL , for awhile during Crums best years, after the dream game, were pretty good, not so much anymore. The Pitino-Richardson games were a blast, but didn’t last long enough to be a true rivalry. I would have to say, overall it’s Tennessee. Most probably don’t remember or weren’t born to remember Tennessee heyday of Grunfield and King, but it was an intense rivalry, and older fans still get torn up thinking about it.
Those were some brutal games.

Reactions: Backer cutter
Top - UofL. Will always be UK's top rival. Instate trumps everything.
Current - Duke. Been Duke and UK for a while. We'll see post-K era.
Other - Tennessee. Historic and regional. Also, both major sports are now competitive.

EDIT; I grew up in, and live in, Indiana. Not even Hoosier fans act like UK and IU are that big a rivalry. If they do have the courage to speak up about it, it's just pure jealousy and hate. Most times they just kinda tuck their tales and stay pretty quiet. So, I don't consider that much of a rivalry. ...currently anyway.

Reactions: chroix
I voted Louisville. Tn, Florida and unc also come to mind. Unc has a big advantage head to head on uk and we need to close that gap.

Louisville. It’s the one that pisses me off the most when we lose and makes me happiest when we win.

It means the most to the most people.

It's Louisville, as depressing as that is. We deserve better.

Our SEC rival is "the rest of the SEC". They only care when they play us. It's hard to even determine who the clear cut overall #2 SEC program is. I'd say Florida but it's not obvious. Honestly Arkansas deserves it more, their fanbase seems to actually care about basketball.

Right now it's UT and Duke. I am 27 years old so I don't really remember the IU-UK rivalry, other than the loss in 2016 and in 2012.

Duke is our number 1. We owe them a ton of ass whoopins to come. The two best programs of all time.

DUKE PUKE DUKE

I feel sorry for L-ville
Bill Self recruits less 5 stars and gets more out of them
Indiana is past history
NC has had coaching changes and I don't know who to hate anymore

but DUKE HAD A PROFESSIONAL SHOE SALESMAN LIVING IN A MANSION WITH 5 CARS AND ACTS LIKE A PREPPIE MOTHER THERESA AND MAKES ME TYPE IN CAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!WITH EXCLAMATION MARKS!!!!!!!!!!! I MEAN THEY ACT LIKE THEY ARE A FRICKING GIFT TO COLLEGE BASKETBALL!

Other: The NCAAT selection, seeding and placement committee.
For a Blue Blood that has paid its dues more than any other the Cats get screwed more often than any other and get constantly placed in the toughest regions on Selection Sunday while being hosed on our seed line as well.

Its tough to be King.

Last edited:
It’s Louisville and it’s not even close. People seem to forget how heated and competitive the rivalry was less than a decade ago. Before Mack, it’s was the only rivalry that topped the Duke and UNC rivalry, IMO.

The only other team that we play yearly and could be considered a rivalry is UT and maybe Auburn. If Oats stays at Alabama, a yearly rivalry could come from them too!

It's Louisville and always will be Louisville. Doesn't matter how good or bad either program is. The fanbases despise each other and sometimes so do the coaches. The two schools are positioned just a few miles from each other and both are usually good.
It never gets old beating UofL and I don't care if it's in lawn darts or tic-tac-toe. For years we had to listen to the bird-brain fans jeer and mock UK for not playing UofL It took an act of the State Legislature to make it happen. For the most part we've beat their brains in on the basketball court and have pulled ahead on the gridiron. Great! I hope they never win another game they play, against anyone! They've gotten what they deserve for poking the bear.

Reactions: KFuqua
For me, for many years, it was Indiana.

But they suck now. So I'm happy to say for me, at least, it's gotta be OTIS.

In the SEC ?

The Vols. Just beat the Vols. Badly. Really badly. Every time.

I liked the post about The ncaa tournament selection committee ... they come in third. lol

Louisville is not UK’s real rival. They are a mid major pretending to be a major and they mean absolutely nothing lol. It’s purely media driven.

Small fan base, mid major history, nationally irrelevant. I get the poll, most people are from that immediate area. But Louisville just isn’t big enough to matter. Tennessee is the main UK rival. Same conference, bordering state, large fan base, goes back waaaaaaaaaay further than Louisville.

Today many UK fans around Lexington will say Louisville because of proximity and the media. But it’s not. Never has been never will be.

Reactions: Emarc
And the 19 that picked Duke shows you, throw the whole poll in the trash lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT