ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the most famous person you have personally met?

Were you struck by how facially beautiful she was and did you drop any hints that you might be willing to overlook her heftiness for a quick Jean Claude Van Damme in the bathroom?

As I said I had no idea who she was, but when she was going through security I definitely noticed her. At the time (probably 4 years ago), she was not that hefty. I assume the camera adds 20 lbs. She wasn't thin, but she wasn't overweight. My flight was from Grand Rapids to Detroit - so 30 min in the air - but we were stuck on the ground for like 30 min. She drank 2 margaritas during that time; I think one more and we would have made it happen!

Lots of Reds. Most of the 1975-76 team. Pitched BP to a lot of the 1981 team.
pitched against Dave Parker in an amateur league in about 1996 or so(1B, F-8, HR, K). Talked to him after, great guy.

Joe Strummer of The Clash in Pontiac Michigan 1981. Had beers with him till about 2 am in hotel bar after a show of The Clash/Eddie Money/The Who. Joe was a very intense guy with strong opinions.

Missed Roger Daltrey by about 5 minutes in a pub in rural England in about 2015-16; apparently I was in the village where he lives and didn’t know it. If you look at my avatar you can imagine how cool that would’ve been for me to meet him him in that setting.
Actually one more to add, can’t believe I forgot it-

I got to know Aaron The Hawk” Pryor, former undisputed world champion and one of the best and most exciting boxers of all time. This was after his career. Cool dude, kinda messed up by then though From all the coke and blows to the head. He’d gladly take 3 to land 1 good one. Loved being called Champ.

Reactions: awf
Shook Bill Clinton’s hand once at a rally for Hillary when she was running against Obama. He stopped and talked to my step-daughter, at the time, for a minute or so.

In college I got high with Bruce Hornsby in his tour bus. He was/is a chill dude.

One of my drunk ass buddies asked him to bust out his mandolin and play Mandolin “Wind.” Bruce looked at him with a really serious face and asked him, “Do I look like Rod f**king Stewart?”

Then he did bust it out and jam to some licks from Mandolin Rain. And some random hippie with a banjo who had shown up joined in. Good times.

When I was 13yrs old a neighbor took me to a Dismiss House Derby dinner......I met Peter Graves.......
Mike Tyson came to see my pigeons one time while he was in Louisville for the National Young Bird Show.........
I've played music at festivals with The Nickle Creek Girls, Lou Reid, Micheal Cleveland and Quickfire, Allison Krauss when she was maybe 15yrs old, and Peter Rowan........back years ago the artist would wander the campgrounds at festivals playing music all hours of the night.....I have played with many more.........it's hard to keep up with the names.......we went to at least five or six festivals over the summer months.......I have sat in jam sessions with many who were kids who rose to the top.....
In 1968 a month after I started to work for KFC in Louisville, KY.....the Colonel filmed a commercial at our location which I think was the first store in Louisville.......he used a bunch of cuss words and was short on patience......he was a little man.........
Did you get to talk to Lou?

Did you get to talk to Lou?
Not much past the cordials and calling my song.......I remember his voice singing the song Cry Cry Darlin.......you could hear his harmony blasting across the field......it was June 94 or 95 at the festival over at KY Horse Park.....back then the real music was out in the camping in the rough area....him and his buddy a mandolin player came over to our jam session and played and sang for a coupe of hours......he didn't play but a couple of songs but he sang on every one......it was right after they brought out their Carolina CD.....

Reactions: 80 Proof
Met Mohammed Ali as he was sitting in the passenger seat of van at hotel in Louisville around '93 or '94. His wife (were they married?) told me to go on over and talk to him, so I did. He was nice as could be. Signed a parking ticket (his) and gave it to me.
Met Ali when he fought Doug Ford in Freedom Hall circa 1967-68. Also met Angelo Dundee at the same time. In fact, our pictures were in the Herald Leader. Still have the picture. Met Lyndon Johnson in high school. When I lived in Nevada met many stars who performed their. Prince, Sade, Tina Turner, and many bands including the Eagles, the Doobie Brothers, and AC/DC. Many more just to lazy to write. Had diner with Jack Nicklaus at the old Cliff Hagins Steak House on Winchester Rd. and played catch with Bear Bryant who was a friend of my grandfather and Happy Chandler. Pretty full life I guess.

Met Ali when he fought Doug Ford in Freedom Hall circa 1967-68. Also met Angelo Dundee at the same time. In fact, our pictures were in the Herald Leader. Still have the picture. Met Lyndon Johnson in high school. When I lived in Nevada met many stars who performed their. Prince, Sade, Tina Turner, and many bands including the Eagles, the Doobie Brothers, and AC/DC. Many more just to lazy to write. Had diner with Jack Nicklaus at the old Cliff Hagins Steak House on Winchester Rd. and played catch with Bear Bryant who was a friend of my grandfather and Happy Chandler. Pretty full life I guess.

You win! Impressive list.

What was the Shat like?
Years ago my wife was a waitress at Executive Inn over by the fairgrounds......she me a lot of people while working there.......she says that Shatner was the biggest dick she ever met or served.......
Greg Page at Kentucky Golden Gloves. I was not in his weight class, …. thank you Jesus.
When I remodeled the Odd Fellows building across from the Pendinnis club we had to hand dig the hole for the elevator shaft that we were putting in the building......I don't remember the outfit but we hired two temps to dig and wheel the dirt/sand out of the building.......Greg Page was one of the workers......he told us he was doing it to keep in shape......one hell of a nice guy.......he was such a hard worker I told him he had a job with us if he wanted it it..he didn't......this was probably 1986/87.....we renovated that building twice.....the had a fire a couple of years after the first remodel.......the second remodel we put a steel skeleton in the building along with the elevator......now they are trying to tear it down....

Reactions: Bill - Shy Cat
I met the Clintons at a democratic party pool party fundraiser in DC in 2009. Bill was drunk and told me how much he loves KY, Hillary was an ice queen to everyone.

I met Madonna, had front row VIP tickets to her show in Miami in 2006. It was amazing meeting her afterward. Shaq was there he was cool. I asked her for a picture and she said absolutely not, the pleasure of meeting me is enough. I was so drunk I said omg I love you bitch she hugged me and said I know baby lol.

Reactions: chroix and awf
I've never met William Shatner but I know two people who have.

They both thought he was an arrogant, awful person which seems to jive with what people here are saying.

I've never heard anything good about him.

Reactions: 80 Proof and awf
In college I got high with Bruce Hornsby in his tour bus. He was/is a chill dude.

One of my drunk ass buddies asked him to bust out his mandolin and play Mandolin “Wind.” Bruce looked at him with a really serious face and asked him, “Do I look like Rod f**king Stewart?”

Then he did bust it out and jam to some licks from Mandolin Rain. And some random hippie with a banjo who had shown up joined in. Good times.
and what is wrong with a random hippie with a 5-string banjo.........asking for a guy I know...........

Tim Tebow met him at a fundraiser. Very genuine guy.

Trisha Yearwood. Got drunk with her backstage with her husband. Very nice and humble people.

Shania Twain Briefly spoke to her after a concert.

Mick Fleetwood Hung out with him after a show for quite a while. Very cool guy.

John Cena Worked out with him at the gym with several other wrestlers when they were in Louisville. (I'm friends with a wrestler from this area and occasionally workout with him. ) All of the guys were nice.

All of these guys were very nice and personable.

Tim Tebow met him at a fundraiser. Very genuine guy.

Trisha Yearwood. Got drunk with her backstage with her husband. Very nice and humble people.

Shania Twain Briefly spoke to her after a concert.

Mick Fleetwood Hung out with him after a show for quite a while. Very cool guy.

John Cena Worked out with him at the gym with several other wrestlers when they were in Louisville. (I'm friends with a wrestler from this area and occasionally workout with him. ) All of the guys were nice.

All of these guys were very nice and personable.
I assume that was Trisha's ex-husband now or you would've included his name.

Met many NY Yankees...
Anthony Bordain
Muhammad Ali

Sat next to Julie Haggerty on a flight from Cincy to Newark. She wouldn’t leave me alone. That voice on an airplane was surreal.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Met many NY Yankees...
Anthony Bordain
Muhammad Ali

Sat next to Julie Haggerty on a flight from Cincy to Newark. She wouldn’t leave me alone. That voice on an airplane was surreal.
The bumps you feel are asteroids SMASHING into the hull of the ship. We're also flying without navigation and are just a tad of course.
What is a tad.
In space terms it's about a half a million miles.
Are you telling us everything?
No, we're also out of coffee.

BEDLAM!!!!!

Airplane 2 was every bit as good as the original.

Not much past the cordials and calling my song.......I remember his voice singing the song Cry Cry Darlin.......you could hear his harmony blasting across the field......it was June 94 or 95 at the festival over at KY Horse Park.....back then the real music was out in the camping in the rough area....him and his buddy a mandolin player came over to our jam session and played and sang for a coupe of hours......he didn't play but a couple of songs but he sang on every one......it was right after they brought out their Carolina CD.....
To be completely honest, I had no idea who Lou Reid is. I just assumed that you misspelled Lou Reed.

Obviously you're a bluegrass fan. Have you ever been to ROMP in Owensboro?

Reactions: WildcatFan1982
Adolph Rupp. He approached me for directions to Coach Carlisle’s office at Lafayette when he was recruiting Billy Ray Lickert. I have also met Coach Hall and Tubby Smith when they were at UK.

Met Minnie Pearl at book signing and got to talk several minutes. She was very nice.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson on a numer of occasions, very nice guy
Ali, he used to hang out downtown Lou at the Galleria and sign stuff and witness to his faith, I worked downtown for a good while
Ricky Skaggs
Ashley Judd
Tubby Smith
Tayshuan Prince
Greg Page
Rand Paul
Mitch McConnell
Travis Ford
Pete Rose
Patrick Dempsey
Rajon Rondo
David Allen Cole
Walter McCartey

I forgot a few:

Jim Bunning
Dave Cowens
Marlin Perkins

Oh yea, I pumped gas with The Big O once.

Met Will Ferrell and the drummer of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers several times.

But never at the same time.

🤨
tenor.gif

Pat Day in a brief conversation. Very nice man. Larry Bird in passing when he visited a friend at the hospital where I work.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT