ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the most famous person you have personally met?

Creed Bratton

All-American
May 31, 2018
Lex Town
I have never really had an opportunity to meet a lot of famous people. Outside of UK basketball/football players the most famous people I have ever met were Dale Earnhardt Jr and Shaun T (The guy that created the Insanity workout videos). I did pass by Darryl Strawberry on a NYC street once. 🤣

I met Dale Earnhardt in the pits at Charolette in the late 90s.

Met Kid Rock and Big Papi at Derby a few years ago.

Sat with Roger Penske in his finish line suite at the Indy 500 around 2000.

Met Newt Gingrich at a charity fundraiser.

Went to school with Sturgill Simpson and Shaun King.

I met Dale Earnhardt in the pits at Charolette in the late 90s.

Met Kid Rock and Big Papi at Derby a few years ago.

Sat with Roger Penske in his finish line suite at the Indy 500 around 2000.

Met Newt Gingrich at a charity fundraiser.

Went to school with Sturgill Simpson and Shaun King.
The BLM guy?

Reactions: 80 Proof and awf
I fixed it for you

giphy.gif

I meet Charlie Daniels at Kmart where he autographed his cassette tapes covers. Down to earth as could be. Sit down across from him and he talked to me like he knew his whole life. Meet Travis Truitt after a concert. Also down to earth as well.

Reactions: blubo
Michael Jordan. Caddied for him at Valhalla. Like forever ago. He’s a punk bitch with a worse golf game than the media would want you to believe he has.

Caddied for Tubby Smith and Pitino too actually. Pitino was brash, a cheater and didn’t like keeping correct score and Tubby was the best human being ever considering stature at the time.

Met Mohammed Ali as he was sitting in the passenger seat of van at hotel in Louisville around '93 or '94. His wife (were they married?) told me to go on over and talk to him, so I did. He was nice as could be. Signed a parking ticket (his) and gave it to me.

Met....a slew of people.
Actually spent time with, a drink, etc....Paul Warfield, Sam Snead, John Michael Montgomery, Troy Gentry (rip), Dermontti Dawson, Cal, Coach K.....to name a few.

Reactions: awf
Randy Owen and Jeff and Teddy. George Bush the elder. Johnny Unitis. Naomi Judd. Several old retired MLB baseball players, Charles “Red” Barrett.

I used to date a local news anchor for a while. She was marginally famous I guess.

Reactions: awf
A few for me that have been lengthy interactions and not just a quick meeting:

Red Auerbach - my boss at GW was the son of Sam Jones, Celtics HOFer. Red is a GW alum and would be at the Rec Center all the time. Played racquetball with him a couple times.

Sam Jones - played golf with him a few times

Dan O'Brien (decathlete) - he's the only famous person that has approached me. He was hired by Andre Agassi to help promote a new fitness company Agassi owned. I worked at Oregon at the time and we were buying about $250,000 worth of fitness equipment at the time. He approached me at a trade show (he's from Oregon) and wanted me to come over to Agassi's fitness place the next day. Sent the stretch hummer limo for me and everything. Was pretty cool.

Ted Leonsis - owner of the Capitols and Wizards among other things. Very cool guy. We have a mutual friend and when I worked at Penn, his son was going to be a Freshman there. Struck up a conversation and chatted for about 15-20 minutes. Gave me his business card (he was the Vice Chairman of AOL at the time). Ran into him at the airport in Vegas a couple years later. Was surprised he remembered me.

I've met a number of college basketball coaches, announcers, personalities, etc. from my time running the Palestra in Philly. If you ever get a chance, I highly recommend seeing a basketball game there.

Have been fortunate thru my work to have met a fair number of celebrities, mostly in sports, but some in politics and entertainment. And I'll have to say 80-90% of them have been just genuine people and I have tried to keep our meetings as pleasant and personable as possible.

But the one where I was holding back every instinct just to fanboy out was when I got to just kick back and have a few beers with Mike Eruzione at a corporate event.

Such a big fan of the Miracle On Ice team that I wanted to just gush and drown him in questions, and while there was some hockey conversation it was mostly just two guys chilling and chatting.

Not a bad way to spend a hour or two.

Reactions: stereonut
George H. W. Bush when he was VP, at a Republican booster function after the 84 election.

Played golf with J B Holmes once. Was very nice to a chop like me. He was quite a bit longer off the tee, and generally a lot better at golf than I am, best I recall.

Have been fortunate thru my work to have met a fair number of celebrities, mostly in sports, but some in politics and entertainment. And I'll have to say 80-90% of them have been just genuine people and I have tried to keep our meetings as pleasant and personable as possible.
I've met multiple celebrities from working at hotels and the only ones that acted like they were anything special was that band Over the Rhine. They were asses.

The head of security of that same hotel said the only rude celebrity he'd ever met was Tommy Davidson.

Most of the time they just want a key to their room and a place to sleep.

Johnny Knoxville was cool as can be, but his manager was awful.

Reactions: JStaff2187
Lots of Reds. Most of the 1975-76 team. Pitched BP to a lot of the 1981 team.
pitched against Dave Parker in an amateur league in about 1996 or so(1B, F-8, HR, K). Talked to him after, great guy.

Joe Strummer of The Clash in Pontiac Michigan 1981. Had beers with him till about 2 am in hotel bar after a show of The Clash/Eddie Money/The Who. Joe was a very intense guy with strong opinions.

Missed Roger Daltrey by about 5 minutes in a pub in rural England in about 2015-16; apparently I was in the village where he lives and didn’t know it. If you look at my avatar you can imagine how cool that would’ve been for me to meet him him in that setting.

Reactions: It'saDoneDeal
Shook hands with “The Greatest”, Ali. He was awesome.

Tom Selleck (very nice and personable).

Randy Owens, of Alabama, was a very, very nice man, as was Charlie Daniels.

Saw the Queen and Prince Phillip at Keeneland years ago, but they didn’t invite me to their box.

I stood within 10 feet of Bill Clinton back in '92. He glowed. I'm serious. The dude glowed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT