ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the most famous person you have personally met?

Joe Strummer of The Clash in Pontiac Michigan 1981. Had beers with him till about 2 am in hotel bar after a show of The Clash/Eddie Money/The Who. Joe was a very intense guy with strong opinions.

Missed Roger Daltrey by about 5 minutes in a pub in rural England in about 2015-16; apparently I was in the village where he lives and didn’t know it. If you look at my avatar you can imagine how cool that would’ve been for me to meet him him in that setting.

Either would be awesome

Avatar is Quadrophenia I assume?

I have got to meet a few famous people. The most fun was in 1970 while a student at UK I worked at McAdams and Morford Drug Store in lexington, across from Court House on Main and Upper. A friend of the druggist and owner, George Lucas, was Colonel Sanders. A couple of times he came in at closing before he and wife went out for evening with owner and his wife. The Colonel was a talker. He liked to joke around, and he must have been a sailor. He had quite a prolific profane vocabulary. He was funny and very likable. He had a twinkle in his eyes, and he wore the clothes you saw in ads. Interesting personality.

Right now in the news Rudy Giuliani lol.
woody harrelson
Johnny depp
Barack Obama
Hosni mubarak
William shatner
Lots of other people through the years. These guys though I smoked a joint with, shook hands or got into an argument with. I let you figure who’s who.

I’m exempting musicians and athletes bc they wouldn’t make the list. Never met an Ali or jordan or a Brady.

Right now in the news Rudy Giuliani lol.
woody harrelson
Johnny depp
Barack Obama
Hosni mubarak
William shatner
Lots of other people through the years. These guys though I smoked a joint with, shook hands or got into an argument with. I let you figure who’s who.

I’m exempting musicians and athletes bc they wouldn’t make the list. Never met an Ali or jordan or a Brady.
I've met Woody and Shatner. Actually toked up with Woody.

I've met Woody and Shatner. Actually toked up with Woody.
I kicked it with woody for days in college when he was filming the people vs Larry flint. Rode in a limo with him to Memphis and back to Oxford. Don’t need to tell you how that went. I have a buddy who works in Hollywood always introduce me to people. Once spent two nights in the lead singer of tools house Maynard.

shatner was a road rage incident where he thought he could double park my ass at a horse show at the Red mile of all places. My life has never been short on crazy experiences.

Giuliani I met at the Cincinnatian hotel when he was running for president. Sean hannity was there too. He’s a puss weak ass. Giuliani a homophobe. When we took the pic he made the woman I was with stand between us instead of him in the middle. That was a massive scandalous weekend too.
I have stories out the wazoo. Lots of stories

A few...

Arnold Palmer during summer 1980. Service call for a car rental company. Rental needed a jump. I was so star-struck, I connected the jumper cables incorrectly. He swapped the cables and said, "that's how ya do it young man", then laughed. Heh.

Others....

Vince Vaughn and Al Franken in Iraq, 2005
General and former SoS Colin Powell
George Foreman via ex-GF's mom during late-90s. What a down-to-earth personality. He's truly an awesome gent.
Ernie Shavers twice, once at a Krystal in north FL off I-75.
Several more....

A few...

Arnold Palmer during summer 1980. Service call for a car rental company. Rental needed a jump. I was so star-struck, I connected the jumper cables incorrectly. He swapped the cables and said, "that's how ya do it young man", then laughed. Heh.

Others....

Vince Vaughn and Al Franken in Iraq, 2005
General and former SoS Colin Powell
George Foreman via ex-GF's mom during late-90s. What a down-to-earth personality. He's truly an awesome gent.
Ernie Shavers twice, once at a Krystal in north FL off I-75.
Several more....
My biz partner met Vince in Iraq too. I gained more respect for him when I saw that he did that stuff.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Jay Bilas - was the featured speaker at a banquet one of the teams I worked with hosted
Andy Katz - one of the colleges I worked at had a game on ESPN, my seat was right beside him on press row
Chris Herren - Had a speaking engagement at a college I worked at and he hung around afterwards to chat with people
Corey Alexander - was a coach at a college I used to work at
Dom Starsia (former UVA Lacrosse coach if you don't follow the sport) - Had lunch with him and a few other folks one day
Friends with two of the winningest coaches in college lacrosse history - Steve Koudelka and Ray Rostan. They are basically household names in the sport.

Used to play basketball with the now retired local news sports guy. He's kind of a legend around these parts.

Last edited:
Pat Day

I spent a couple of hours with him at a men's church function a few years back.

He's extremely nice and humble.
I sat next to him on a flight to Louisville. He talked to me the entire time. He is nice, and a great story teller.

I also sat next to Jordin Sparks on a flight. We talked the entire time; she banged out a couple of margaritas. I had no idea who she was. She then started volunteering info about Idol. I said, "cool, you were on American Idol. What place did you get?" She laughs and then said, "I won". Cool chick, but she liked the attention of being famous.

Reactions: bigdaddy741
I sat next to him on a flight to Louisville. He talked to me the entire time. He is nice, and a great story teller.

I also sat next to Jordin Sparks on a flight. We talked the entire time; she banged out a couple of margaritas. I had no idea who she was. She then started volunteering info about Idol. I said, "cool, you were on American Idol. What place did you get?" She laughs and then said, "I won". Cool chick, but she liked the attention of being famous.
Were you struck by how facially beautiful she was and did you drop any hints that you might be willing to overlook her heftiness for a quick Jean Claude Van Damme in the bathroom?

Well she passed away from cancer 17 years ago so.....

tenor.gif

I sat next to baseball player Victor Martinez last year on a plane flight . Nice guy, talked a lot. He was in town for the horse sales. I think he said he bought 5 or something. We had masks on so I couldn’t hardly see his face. I didnt realize who he was at first, but noticed him looking at million dollar horses. He didn’t look like he had much money the way he was dressed. The other people he was with were dressed like they were rich (you know those people you can just tell they are loaded). So I thought well that’s nice, they brought the poor guy with them. Well, turns out no they actually brought the rich guy named Victor with them 😁. I looked up his earnings later and he was in an article listing some of the worst contracts for the teams/best for the player. From the article: Martinez's contract -- a four-year, $68 million extension signed after his brilliant 2014 season and just a month before his 36th birthday -- might go down as one of the worst in modern baseball history when judged by production.

When I was 13yrs old a neighbor took me to a Dismiss House Derby dinner......I met Peter Graves.......
Mike Tyson came to see my pigeons one time while he was in Louisville for the National Young Bird Show.........
I've played music at festivals with The Nickle Creek Girls, Lou Reid, Micheal Cleveland and Quickfire, Allison Krauss when she was maybe 15yrs old, and Peter Rowan........back years ago the artist would wander the campgrounds at festivals playing music all hours of the night.....I have played with many more.........it's hard to keep up with the names.......we went to at least five or six festivals over the summer months.......I have sat in jam sessions with many who were kids who rose to the top.....
In 1968 a month after I started to work for KFC in Louisville, KY.....the Colonel filmed a commercial at our location which I think was the first store in Louisville.......he used a bunch of cuss words and was short on patience......he was a little man.........

Last edited:
Outside of a Kentucky board most of the people I met wouldnt mean a whole lot, but on here people know the names

Worked at a tire store in college in Lexington and the owner became pretty well known in UK athletics that he would give them pretty good deals:

met
Sam Bowie
Rex Chapman
Marc Logan
Frank Minnefield- drove him to his work site when he dropped his car off and gave me a bunch of autographed cards
Dermontti Dawson- was a huge Steelers fan and he retired back in Lexington. Just a super nice guy
Tony Delk
Kenny Walker
Ron Mercer
Rob Locke
Derron Feldhaus
Melvin Turpin

non UK
Randy Owens
Kip Winger
Jerry Reed- super laid back and funny.
John Michael Montgomery - used to "visit" one of my girlfriends room mates from his Austin City Saloon days
John Conlee

Met Bud from Flipper when I was a kid, have home movie of him playing pool during a family vacation.

Also as a kid, rode an elevator with both Karen Valentine and Rosie Grier in Atlanta.

Have met a few NBAers through our friendship, or Dad's more likely, with Kevin Grevey. George Gervin being my favorite.

Back in my FF days, both Tony Dorsett and Ron Springs came to our store in Austin. Also met TD at a Cowboys Cafe near their practice facility.

Didn't meet but saw Charles Bronson film a scene for Death Wish 2 on a LA vacation. Was an extra for Honeysuckle Rose, so saw Willie, Dyan and Amy fairly up close.

Reactions: awf
Ran into Ron Jeremy at a strip club in New Orleans. My bud got a picture with him. I passed as I didn’t want to explain to my wife who he was or where I was.

Reactions: awf
Were you struck by how facially beautiful she was and did you drop any hints that you might be willing to overlook her heftiness for a quick Jean Claude Van Damme in the bathroom?
Have you been in an airplane restroom? Doubt she could belt one out on herself, much less have help doing it.

• Haha
Reactions: awf and Lord Z
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT