ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the GOAT for Kentucky Basketball?

Jun 2, 2023
Would love to hear everyone’s choices and the reason why.

I’m going with AD just because he took college basketball by storm, was probably one of the greatest defensive players of all time in college basketball, and won a title with the 2012 team… I’m sure a lot of people will not choose AD but that’s mine.

Reactions: rivercatinfl
Historically it’s gotta be Issel.

I don’t like to compare eras because of the different rules and who was allowed to play (no freshmen until ‘72 + whites only until the late 1960s vs. 4 years of eligibility and no color barrier)

I’d rank Issel the GOAT of the pre-modern era and Mashburn the GOAT of the modern era.

I'll throw in Ralph Beard if we are talking about who was the best at their time compared in their era for personal and team accomplishments:

4 time 1st team all SEC
4 time all SEC Tournament
3 time consensus 1st team all american
2 time national champion
1 time NIT champion
1 time NIT runner-up
Overall record of 130-10
SEC record of 39-0
Olympic gold medal

I'm going for Ralph Beard if we are talking about who was the best at their time compared in their era...and honestly, it's not even close for personal and team accomplishments:

4 time 1st team all SEC
2 time national champion
1 time NIT champion
1 time NIT runner-up
Overall record of 130-10
SEC record of 39-0
Olympic gold medal

This is probably the correct answer when you factor in both individual and team success.

AD probably had the greatest one season in modern history at least.

Mash and issel were amazing but they didn't win a national title.

Reactions: bthaunert
I'm going for Ralph Beard if we are talking about who was the best at their time compared in their era...and honestly, it's not even close for personal and team accomplishments:

4 time 1st team all SEC
2 time national champion
1 time NIT champion
1 time NIT runner-up
Overall record of 130-10
SEC record of 39-0
Olympic gold medal
He was my 2nd choice behind Issel

This is probably the correct answer when you factor in both individual and team success.

AD probably had the greatest one season in modern history at least.

Mash and issel were amazing but they didn't win a national title.
It hurts Mash's legacy just a *little* that he didn't win a title here, but if you were old enough to watch where we came from and how he (along with Pitino) resurrected our program from the ashes to lead us to that heartbreaker against Duke in the Elite Eight, and then ultimately back to the Final Four just a few short years after coming off a devastating probation there's a little grace there for not actually winning the title. Also, in my lifetime I've just never seen someone have a better career at UK spanning multiple seasons. Like I said, no doubt best single season AD. Best career for me, Mashburn. Again I'm talking my lifetime.

Last edited:
Since the post doesn’t specify greatest player, I’m going with Pat Riley. He’s been a basketball legend at every level and at one point was a great ambassador for the program.

Of the players I've seen, the pool is Walker, Mashburn, Davis, Wall, and Ulis. So, strictly from their college play, I'd say Tyler Ulis.

It always amazes me that in these conversations the one name that never gets brought up is Keith Bogans. He is the 4th leading scorer all time, SEC All Freshman team, All SEC as a Sophomore, SEC POY as a Sr, 2nd or 3rd team All American according to 4 different outlets as a Sr, drafted in the 2nd round and went on to play for 13 years in the NBA. Is the the GOAT? Maybe not but he deserves to be in the conversation.

Not the GOAT. But the "Lamb".
Doron Lamb.

Xss4sh4.jpg

I mean, the best player to ever play here was Davis. NPOTY, won a title, played for team USA.

Again if it's all about stats it's clearly Issel.

People on here are always bitching about national titles and final fours though so figured team success would play a factor in the holistic conversation.

Reactions: bfawns
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT