ADVERTISEMENT

Who has the best look? Ranking SEC uniforms

Those are absolutely terrible rankings. And I absolutely agree that Kentucky is towards the bottom.

LSUs uniforms are ugh. Any SEC ranking that doesnt have Tennessee's dead last I cant take seriously. Mizzous are also horrendous.

Auburn probably has the best uniforms. Ole Miss powder blues are great. Georgia and Alabamas also very solid. Arkansas and Mississippi State are meh. Vandys are fine. Florida and South Carolina are fine. Tennessee at #3 though....that must be some great reefer in the Rivals analysts lounge room.

Like solid color uniforms instead of the corny looked checkerboards. Have always been fond of the mascot on the helmet. Any way of having a cool looking Wildcat on the helmets as a change up from time to time?

Reactions: ok-cats-computer
It’s all subjective, so here’s my ranking w/o peeking:

(1) Auburn: a clean and classy look, home and away!
(2) LSU: I like the colors, and traditional look;
(3) Florida; good use of the three colors;
(4) Georgia: the best use of red in the country;
(5) Kentucky: Blue at home, head to toe, and Citrus Bowl road whites!
(6) Bama: Well, they’ve been a winner in those throw back unis!
(7) USCe, just barely top half; a poor man’s Auburn knockoff!;
(8) Vandy: the black-and-gold is better than many;
(9) Miss State: only this high for their white road unis . . . Star Wars Troopers! Home unis suck! (See A@M, below);
(10) Arkansas; they beat out the rest of the worst just because they have a hog;
(11) Ole Miss: some of their combos just look cheap and like little league;
(12) Texas A & M: Maroon don’t shine!
(13) Mizzou: Mustard and black sucks. When they joined the SEC, they said, “Thank God for UT.”
(14) UT, how could anyone finish lower than Mizzou? It took real effort!

Its all subjective, other than Tennessee.

Auburn
Georgia
Ole Miss
Alabama
Florida
South Carolina
Vanderbilt
Kentucky
Mississippi State
LSU
Texas A&M
Arkansas
Missouri
Tennessee

Reactions: The-Hack
To many dark red unis in sec , black and gold unis underated, missouri, vandy, app st, southern miss, have some nice unis, in my opinion

Wishing there was a purple uni'd team in the SEC. Purple is such a good looking color.
LSU has broken out the purple unis from time to time. But they are seen as having a stench of "bad luck".....much like the Cowboys refusing to wear blue.

Can remember back in the late 90s / early 00"s we made LSU wear the purples here....and they lost.

DiNardo was furious and played into the mythology by in part blaming the uniforms.

Reactions: KentuckyTexan
LSU has broken out the purple unis from time to time. But they are seen as having a stench of "bad luck".....much like the Cowboys refusing to wear blue.

Can remember back in the late 90s / early 00"s we made LSU wear the purples here....and they lost.

DiNardo was furious and played into the mythology by in part blaming the uniforms.
I think LSU brought them out against Vandy this past year. I honestly never even think about them having purple tops. I only think of them having the white tops with the BRIGHT gold bottoms.

I truly LOVED, the unis that Northwestern brought out against us in the Music city bowl game in '17. The purple with black trim was such a nice look.

Those with two colors besides white have better options, less bland. UK does well with limited choices but has had to introduce added colors - charcoal, chrome - to make much headway.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
UT, Mizzouri, Vandy all belong at the bottom. I would certainly put UK in the upper 1/3 or higher.

The only thing I do not like about our uniform, and many others, is KENTUCKY spelled out in small letter across the front. It looks weak. The UK at the neckline is sufficent although I prefer a block K. But just a matter of choice or taste for me.

Our colors are nice and the uniform is clean. No one has better helmets than our Cats.

Arkansas has the perfect shade of red. They are 1. The simpler uniforms go to the top. Only Auburn joins the group. Not that simple is better, but the SEC really doesn't execute well.

Kentucky checkerboard put them middle of the pack. We need to use the blue/blue checkerboard design from our endzones

Missouri, Vandy, Florida, South Carolina at the bottom.

I'm just glad we went back to the McFadden-era uniforms. Like them much better than the ones we wore under Bielema. Not sure why he says it would be nice for us to mix it up a bit when we've had several different combinations with different coaching staffs in the last decade lol.

D_DV18VU0AERM6C.jpg

usa_today_10433812.jpg

Reactions: CatGotMyTongue
I don't argue much with the rankings. LSU does have great uniforms and helmets when they wear their white jerseys (which is most of the time). I think Mizzou is too high...ugly combo and their block M looks like a Michigan copy. UK traditional uniforms are great, but I can't quibble with where they are in these rankings. SHould probably be above Mizzou, Arky, Miss state, South Carolina, and Mizzou but below the rest.

Tennessee road uniforms are great as long as they don't have the black trim around the numbers (then they look like halloween). I know as UK fans, we hate orange, but it stands out and is synonymous with Tennessee.

I have always thought that Florida's home unis are hideous. Their road white jerseys and orange pants are cool, but the home unis are near bottom of the list.

I don't argue much with the rankings. LSU does have great uniforms and helmets when they wear their white jerseys (which is most of the time). I think Mizzou is too high...ugly combo and their block M looks like a Michigan copy. UK traditional uniforms are great, but I can't quibble with where they are in these rankings. SHould probably be above Mizzou, Arky, Miss state, South Carolina, and Mizzou but below the rest.

Tennessee road uniforms are great as long as they don't have the black trim around the numbers (then they look like halloween). I know as UK fans, we hate orange, but it stands out and is synonymous with Tennessee.

I have always thought that Florida's home unis are hideous. Their road white jerseys and orange pants are cool, but the home unis are near bottom of the list.

Orange isn't bad, but UT orange is awful, it looks washed out, like someone put too much Clorox in the wash, or the get their uniforms from Clemson when they start to fade. I like AU's uniforms better than LSU, I just think it's a neat clean look. I like UK's all blue with chrome helmet blue mask. I think it hurts UK having so many different looks instead of home and away., but UK and the fans like it, the rest doesn't matter.

I kind of agree with you about Florida’s home. Orange over blue over white is just too much. Their O/W/B roads look a lot better. I also agree with the article... I actually love their white helmets. The script “gators” is iconic, and it works on the white imo

Reactions: STUCKNBIG10
I'm just glad we went back to the McFadden-era uniforms.

I ranked Arkansas pretty low, but on my one trip to Fayetteville, I was amazed by the Hog stuff on shirts, bumper stickers, caps, etc. The Hog jumping through the “A”, etc., etc.

Left me with hog envy, and I farm cattle!!

I love Arkansas’ full embrace of being a relatively rural, land-grant Southern school! You can’t get anymore redneck than calling the Hogs!!

I fully realize that I'm alone in this opinion, but LSU's uniforms are the most god-awful ugly things I've ever seen. They're the pimp suits of college football uniforms.

Reactions: Deeeefense
half the time I can't tell the numbers or names for the white script on orange unis. Just the worst w/o even hating on orange.

seriously? the attractiveness of a uniform is purely in the eye of the beholder. That's like trying to be a judge in a beauty contest.

Reactions: Poetax
seriously? the attractiveness of a uniform is purely in the eye of the beholder. That's like trying to be a judge in a beauty contest.

Yeah, agreed. I think most would say the “classic” SEC uniforms — Alabama, LSU, Florida, Auburn, Tennessee, Georgia, Ole Miss — stand above in some order, but all subjective.

Of the new school ones, I love Vanderbilt’s with the naval iconography.

I’d put ours last because I think they’re pretty awful, but that horse is dead. We’re doomed to walk the earth in checkerboards ... and no Power K.

Yeah, agreed. I think most would say the “classic” SEC uniforms — Alabama, LSU, Florida, Auburn, Tennessee, Georgia, Ole Miss — stand above in some order, but all subjective.

Of the new school ones, I love Vanderbilt’s with the naval iconography.

I’d put ours last because I think they’re pretty awful, but that horse is dead. We’re doomed to walk the earth in checkerboards ... and no Power K.

I think most of the players much prefer the new look like Kentucky has.

Orange isn't bad, but UT orange is awful, it looks washed out, like someone put too much Clorox in the wash, or the get their uniforms from Clemson when they start to fade. I like AU's uniforms better than LSU, I just think it's a neat clean look. I like UK's all blue with chrome helmet blue mask. I think it hurts UK having so many different looks instead of home and away., but UK and the fans like it, the rest doesn't matter.

I disagree on UT. I much prefer their orange to the ugly poop orange of Texas.

I agree with you on Auburn. They have great classic uniforms, and I think their home and away unis are great (compared to other schools like LSU and Florida whose road uniforms are far better than their home duds).

UK has great colors, but this checkerboard stuff is really offputting. I'm cool with chrome helmets and alternative unis like gray and black (we're UK, it's OK to break from tradition b/c our tradition is not great), but the checkerboard is a big negative with our fanbase.

I'm just glad we went back to the McFadden-era uniforms. Like them much better than the ones we wore under Bielema. Not sure why he says it would be nice for us to mix it up a bit when we've had several different combinations with different coaching staffs in the last decade lol.

D_DV18VU0AERM6C.jpg

usa_today_10433812.jpg
Loving the shiny helmets. Ark has cool unis

This article was ridiculous. Some unis praised for being 'traditional' and others trashed for being 'too traditional'. I mean, if Bama was a perennial 4-8 team, would this author think their unis are good? I mean, they haven't changed in about a million years. I like tradition and I prefer the Bamas, OSU, MI, Auburn, etc. over the mix-and-match Oregon or other teams that incorporate colors that are not school colors. However, you can't like Bama's traditional unis and dislike AR traditional unis for the same damn reason.

It's like saying I like Margot Robbie because she's blond but dislike Blake Lively because she's blond.

I ranked Arkansas pretty low, but on my one trip to Fayetteville, I was amazed by the Hog stuff on shirts, bumper stickers, caps, etc. The Hog jumping through the “A”, etc., etc.

Left me with hog envy, and I farm cattle!!

I love Arkansas’ full embrace of being a relatively rural, land-grant Southern school! You can’t get anymore redneck than calling the Hogs!!

Haha yeah it's getting less rural every year as Northwest Arkansas will have 600,000 people soon but Arkansas as a whole is very rural. One reason why we play games in Little Rock still so it's easier for the small town folk from east and southern Arkansas to get to games.

Our problem at times with having to recruit out of state so much is recruits picture just a barn and field so getting them to visit sometimes is the hard part but once they get here it's more than they were imagining. I'm sure having to recruit virtually right now makes it harder too.

I disagree on UT. I much prefer their orange to the ugly poop orange of Texas.

I agree with you on Auburn. They have great classic uniforms, and I think their home and away unis are great (compared to other schools like LSU and Florida whose road uniforms are far better than their home duds).

UK has great colors, but this checkerboard stuff is really offputting. I'm cool with chrome helmets and alternative unis like gray and black (we're UK, it's OK to break from tradition b/c our tradition is not great), but the checkerboard is a big negative with our fanbase.

I think the Texas orange is guy too. I guess in just like the deep rich colors like Clemson's orange, UGA's red and UK's blue. But you know what, that's why they make different shades of them, some people just like ugly colors, ;).

it's more than they were imagining.

We parked just off the Interstate in '07, walked maybe a mile uphill (slightly as I recall), and passed a lot of state-of-the-art athletic facilities, several named "Walton," . . . apparently there is a Walton family who did well in Arkansas. I walked away with the feeling UK needed to do some catching up in overall athletic facilities, and we have largely done so. And somewhat like the "strip" of facilities up that hill, we have used land near our stadium and concentrated some of the facilities a bit more than they once were.

Reactions: CatGotMyTongue
Haha yeah it's getting less rural every year as Northwest Arkansas will have 600,000 people soon

That sounds like Kentucky's Urban triangle; in my part of the State we joke about where "the Yankees begin." In 1960, it was the Ohio River; in 1980, Dry Ridge; in 2000, the Kentucky River . . . . at this rate I'll be a damn Yankee by 2024!

ADVERTISEMENT