ADVERTISEMENT

Who has done less?

Oldbluefart

Sophomore
Mar 23, 2014
Louisville, KY
BBN; let’s forget about our feelings towards Coach Cal and his time at UK for a moment.
I ask this; what coach has done less or underachieved with the best talent/team in sports?

Reactions: NociHTTP
He did have two titles and 11 F4’s
PZIGuHn.jpeg

Cal and K are about as close to tied as you can get. To not win the title the year they had Barrett, Zion and Reddish was an absolute letdown. Not 2015 UK bad, but pretty terrible.

And K is 10 times the in game coach Cal is.

Cal and K are about as close to tied as you can get. To not win the title the year they had Barrett, Zion and Reddish was an absolute letdown. Not 2015 UK bad, but pretty terrible.

Yeah but that whole 5 championships thing gets in the way of them being tied

Reactions: BradleyCrawford08
Dean Smith most assuredly did not do LESS than Cal with the talent they had at their disposal, although there's certainly an argument to be made. But there's a lot of difference between one title and two. If Cal had found a way to win two, he would probably still be here.

13 final fours and 5 titles? LMAO!!

I was thinking about this once I heard Cal was leaving. He holds up the number of NBA players he coached at UK as some sort of badge of honor (like he had anything to do with AD, Cousins, Wall, et al becoming NBA players) when, in actuality, it became a pretty damning admission that he was a below average coach. Give any reasonably competent coach the amount and quality of talent Cal recruited (give him props for that) and 'coached' and I think you would see the same or better results. Certainly, the last 5 years have not been bereft of NBA-level talent and the results were underwhelming, at best.

My first thought was Dean Smith, also. The numbers certainly suggest he did better than Cal. But, several of those years they got bounced before the FF, UNC was a #1 seed if not THE #1 seed. Plus, having the talent he had for 2-4 years made sustained success easier, imo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT