Have or have not contributed?

• No

Votes: 80 89.9%
  • Yes 1 player

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Yes 2+ players

Votes: 4 4.5%

• Total voters
If people don’t buy these players stuff, you can say goodbye to landing the elite recruits. What recruit will wanna go to UK, when their fans choose not to support their players? You’re only hurting the program.

If people don’t buy these players stuff, you can say goodbye to landing the elite recruits. What recruit will wanna go to UK, when their fans choose not to support their players? You’re only hurting the program.
Jesus. Okay then.

Reactions: KFuqua
Don’t bet on it. For what it’s worth, I farm for a living. You want to try to make it doing that? Just jump right in. But I’m not gonna co-sign your notes smartass.
Man I need a co signer for that 200 acres and a John Deere I just bought. I’m going to donate my profits for NIL athletes because they work so hard and deserve it. Now that is being a smart A, smart A

It’s true though. These recruits are going to compare how well players profit at one school compared to the other. I don’t like it much, but that’s where the game is now.
It shouldn’t be up to the individual fans to really drive this NIL money, IMO. That’s ridiculous. If so, and our program falls apart, oh well.

Reactions: KFuqua
You know what memorabilia I have? Kentucky basketball yearbooks. Prints of the 3 championship teams of my lifetime on my office wall (1996, 1998, 2012). I have the "Through the Years" print you see in my avatar. I even have a fluorescent "UK bar light" in my office, I love it. I have a wooden cut out in the shape of the state of Kentucky with a "UK" logo in the middle.

No, I'm not a guy that buys all the player related memorabilia. I won't buy a shirt with a player's name on it, a watch, or whatever else. And no I won't spend 13 dollars to watch the guys do drills or dunk in layup lines. It's not for me. No problem with other guys that do it. It's just not for me.
Yeah that’s nice. I just find it would be a strange stance to take to say I will never buy a UK player created item just because they player would make some money off of it. I’m also not saying people should buy things just because the players could make some money off it. Just that if I saw some item that I found myself interested in I wouldn’t first check and see did a 3rd party make this or is one of those college kids gonna make $4 off it? And then change my decision.

Yeah that’s nice. I just find it would be a strange stance to take to say I will never buy a UK player created item just because they player would make some money off of it. I’m also not saying people should buy things just because the players could make some money off it. Just that if I saw some item that I found myself interested in I wouldn’t first check and see did a 3rd party make this or is one of those college kids gonna make $4 off it? And then change my decision.
Yeah, but that's not what I said. I didn't say I won't buy anything because a player might make some money off it. I said I won't buy anything just for the sole purpose of a player making some money off it. If there is something I want that a player just so happens to make some money off of, fine. But some of the people in this thread are acting like UK is going to fall off the map if we don't go out there and spend all our money just to line these kid's pockets. I won't get on board with that. I'm not buying a $20 shirt just so Tyty Washington gets a little extra money. It's not for me.

Reactions: JwUKFan11
Yeah, but that's not what I said. I didn't say I won't buy anything because a player might make some money off it. I said I won't buy anything just for the sole purpose of a player making some money off it. If there is something I want that a player just so happens to make some money off of, fine. But some of the people in this thread are acting like UK is going to fall off the map if we don't go out there and spend all our money just to line these kid's pockets. I won't get on board with that. I'm not buying a $20 shirt just so Tyty Washington gets a little extra money. It's not for me.
Yeah I wasn’t referring to you. Just clarifying my position and what I was trying to explain.

Reactions: STL_Cat
Not really. I have a few UK shirts but I’ll never buy another. Now when I look thru my closet looking for a shirt to wear I just reject the UK ones.

I will wear my two hoodies tho in the winter.

I would never give money to a player. Why would I do that? If one was in trouble and needed some help then yes, but that is altogether different.
Like new UK golf shirts? Size?

Our fans supported these players by showing up and filling Rupp Arena to watch them play a game for decades. They supported these players by traveling hundreds of miles and buying tickets at opposing arenas for them to hear Go Big Blue chants.

They supported them by traveling hundreds of miles, buying tickets, and paying for hotel rooms so they could have a home environment for the SEC Tournament. They supported them by traveling thousands of miles, buying tickets, and paying for hotel rooms so they could have the home court advantage at the NCAA Tournament.

What did the fans get for it? Players who have a foot out the door before they even stepped foot on campus. Even at the point of not getting drafted and still choosing to leave. Maybe if most stayed 3 or 4 years I could see possibly buying something that helps them, but not with the mercenary system we've embraced to the point of what we got last year.

Throw in the lack of awareness for some to want to change the arena name and supporting organizations that want to destroy this country and they can kiss my financial support goodbye. I am at the point I can just stop spending my money on sports altogether if players choose to go elsewhere to get "support". The last year and a half has shown me that I can do without sports. So if going to games and cheering them on isn't enough then so be it.

By the way, I stopped buying merchandise to support the school years ago when they sold their soul to Nike and the garbage logos they provided.

Our fans supported these players by showing up and filling Rupp Arena to watch them play a game for decades. They supported these players by traveling hundreds of miles and buying tickets at opposing arenas for them to hear Go Big Blue chants.

They supported them by traveling hundreds of miles, buying tickets, and paying for hotel rooms so they could have a home environment for the SEC Tournament. They supported them by traveling thousands of miles, buying tickets, and paying for hotel rooms so they could have the home court advantage at the NCAA Tournament.

What did the fans get for it? Players who have a foot out the door before they even stepped foot on campus. Even at the point of not getting drafted and still choosing to leave. Maybe if most stayed 3 or 4 years I could see possibly buying something that helps them, but not with the mercenary system we've embraced to the point of what we got last year.

Throw in the lack of awareness for some to want to change the arena name and supporting organizations that want to destroy this country and they can kiss my financial support goodbye. I am at the point I can just stop spending my money on sports altogether if players choose to go elsewhere to get "support". The last year and a half has shown me that I can do without sports. So if going to games and cheering them on isn't enough then so be it.

By the way, I stopped buying merchandise to support the school years ago when they sold their soul to Nike and the garbage logos they provided.
Excellent, couldn't of said it better.

Reactions: KyCatFan
It’s true though. These recruits are going to compare how well players profit at one school compared to the other. I don’t like it much, but that’s where the game is now.

Shouldn't be a problem for UK fans, I've ready on here many times we have the best fanbase. All these die hard message board posters that keep saying they're the reason we have a top program, now they have the chance to prove it.

lol. This is hilarious, going to games was for fans entertainment. They didn't do it to support anything, they went for their own enjoyment.

But even if you view it your way, the reward you got was a program that is consistently at the top, has the 2nd most titles ever, where every coach but one has won a title. You seen tremendous talent and entertaining basketball. Plus, it seems you gained pride by your retelling of everything you did to make the program successful.

But yeah, don't do it now when you really could support the players

Reactions: Zissou87
So you think these other fan bases are going to rapidly buy whatever these athletes are pushing just to stick it to Kentucky fans?!? Dude, other fan bases are no different than Kentucky’s fan base when it comes to this stuff

Does repeatedly buying weed off Sahvir Wheeler the last 2 years in Georgia count?

Or are we only talking about buying stuff from players since the NIL rules were formerly in place?

For the record, I hope Wheeler's new weed source in Kentucky has less seeds.

Kentucky fans support their team first and foremost. Players get support indirectly by being a part of the program.

NIL could/can set up a dichotomy between Team and individual players (or University and players). I will always support the team over individuals when it comes to athletic programs.

God help us if recruiting depends on fans buying player's stuff....the truth is boosters and big/small corporations will most likely play the largest role. UK and Lex have enough of those?

Also, if boosters and business' are sending significant cash to players NIL, there is necessarily a reduction in revenue to the University. You can argue the NIL hurts a program....from that point of view.

Reactions: KyCatFan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT