ADVERTISEMENT

Who are your favorite NCAA coaches and why , outside our own here at UK ?

ManitouDan

All-American
Dec 7, 2006
Not meaning the BEST , just coaches you admire the way they do their job.

I've always liked John Belein .. because of his offensive approach and ball/player movement

Frank Martin . Intensity . His toughness is seen in his team sometimes. Seems like a hard nosed honest old school coach . My kinda guy.

I've always liked John Belein .. because of his offensive approach and ball/player movement

Frank Martin . Intensity . His toughness is seen in his team sometimes. Seems like a hard nosed honest old school coach . My kinda guy.

Billy Donovan, he should have been our coach. Rick Barnes, hate Tennessee, but Barnes is an excellent coach. Leonard Hamilton, UK connections, may have had a NCAA winning team this year.

I only admire coaches who receive top 2 seeds every year, never get upset, and make every other final four. And they have to win half of those.

I really liked frank martin when he was at k state, but he seems to have lost a lot of his fire at s car.

Mark Few
Kelly Graves (Oregon women’s coach)
Bruce Pearl

Pearl can coach .. he's a good one , but man I can't his antics and you can tell he has this erection for Ky and doesnt act like the other 30 games on his schedule matter that much. Just pisses me off. He puts on a show for the cameras against us , then acts relatively normal in other games

Reactions: RunninRichie
I should add Dick Fick to my list . Any man that funny should be on the list . I know a former assistant of his , man the stories on that guy.

Reactions: bthaunert
Bob McKillop: I have always been a closet Davidson fan all the way back to the Lefty Drisell days. McKillop is a class act. He has not compromised Davidson values when the move was made from the Southern to the A-10. Class Act.

Leonard Hamilton: Had the chance to get to know Leonard when he was at UK and am good friends with a guy that played with him at UT Martin. Done a great job at Florida State. He would do a great job at UK.

Rick Barnes: Always have liked him and I try to look past the fact that he is now at Tenn. He stood up to Dean Smith and called him out for the fraud he was. That alone makes him a hero in my book.

Bob Huggins: Blue collar guy. Has done a great job bringing WVU basketball back.

Roy Skinner: He was Vanderbilt basketball that I have always admired, in many ways because of him. A gentleman. I look forward to the day they hire another class act to run the Vanderbilt program. They deserve that.

I have never understood the love for Frank Martin. I live here and have been to several USC home games. Martin’s profanity can be heard over the crowd noise. The school has suspended him for his language in the past.
There are those that think he is tough but a grown man screaming profanities at teenagers should not be a part of basketball.

Martin doesn’t win either. The improbable run to the FF in 2017 was the only NCAA tournament appearance in 9 years at USC.

Bob McKillop: I have always been a closet Davidson fan all the way back to the Lefty Drisell days. McKillop is a class act. He has not compromised Davidson values when the move was made from the Southern to the A-10. Class Act.

Leonard Hamilton: Had the chance to get to know Leonard when he was at UK and am good friends with a guy that played with him at UT Martin. Done a great job at Florida State. He would do a great job at UK.

Rick Barnes: Always have liked him and I try to look past the fact that he is now at Tenn. He stood up to Dean Smith and called him out for the fraud he was. That alone makes him a hero in my book.

Bob Huggins: Blue collar guy. Has done a great job bringing WVU basketball back.

Roy Skinner: He was Vanderbilt basketball that I have always admired, in many ways because of him. A gentleman. I look forward to the day they hire another class act to run the Vanderbilt program. They deserve that.
I’m a big Leonard Hamilton fan, but don’t think I’d ever want him at UK. I’m his 32 years of head coaching, he’s made it to the second weekend of the tournament 4 times had to the Elite Eight once. I’ll tell you this though, dude looks younger at 71 then he did when he coached here under Joe B.

Huggy Bear - His Cincy teams were like John Wayne toilet paper.

Nolan Richardson - 40 minutes of hell was fun to watch.

Back when uofL had competition from Marquette.........I watched Buzz Williams amass a better conference record in the big east than uofL.

That same year Buzz would not platoon but substituted at a record pace throughout every game. For some reason he does not do that anymore...

Probably an unpopular choice but I always liked Rick Stansbury (so). His teams always play hard and he has won everywhere.

Last edited:
I’m a big Leonard Hamilton fan, but don’t think I’d ever want him at UK. I’m his 32 years of head coaching, he’s made it to the second weekend of the tournament 4 times had to the Elite Eight once. I’ll tell you this though, dude looks younger at 71 then he did when he coached here under Joe B.
Yes he does look younger now than he did many years ago. You base Leonard's advancement in the NCAA to what he would have done in Lexington. Leonard is a very good recruiter and has a great eye for talent. If he had ever had the resources of UK, he would have won big time. Think about all the talent he brought here during his time here as the #1 recruiter in college basketball.

Reactions: BradleyCrawford08

K , BK and RW.

Brad Stevens at Butler ( I lived 1 hour east of east of Indy and grew up around Howard Kids). He would be on a short list of people I'd hope UK would call if Cal left today but thats not to say he would ever leave the NBA.

Bob Huggins
Bruce Pearl
Jay Wright

Honorable mention for Tom Crean, I'll always respect what he did to IU for the UK fans [roll]

I honestly cannot ignore rick pitino. for all his shortcomings, and there are beaucoup, he did win a National Championship for UK, and subsequently, took one away from u6. :) .

Reactions: HagginHall1999
Steve Fisher

Is promoted to head coach just before the NCAA Tournament. And wins it with a 3 seeded team.
Takes the Fab 5 to two straight championship games.
Goes to San Diego State and builds a nice little program out of nothing.

Jay Wright: Love the style of play and gets extra points for beating UNCheat in the title game.

Leonard Hamilton: Not the best tournament coach but still has solid teams every year that can contend in the ACC with Duke, Louisville, and UNC.

Bob Huggins: His defense is killer and has built a good, solid program at WVU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT