ADVERTISEMENT

Who’s the next Klutch player we are recruiting?

@ralphdaltonfan - I always appreciate your insight. I have no inside info, and you have much better sources.

Do you think Klutch influences playing time after a player arrives on campus? Is Cal chained to pleasing Kluch to the detriment of the team or other players?

Was the USC noise mainly LeBron trying to influence some high school players to team up with Bronny?

TIA
Josh Hairston working for Klutch is a problem. He's the former Duke player and a real influential guy there. LeBron lets Paul run things and helps when possible but he's far more interested in the NBA side of things-as you've seen with the crazy Laker roster chaos each and every year post NBA Championship season.

I think Klutch likes to control clients-not the coaches. For instance look at the crap that Nick Smith Jr pulled at Arkansas last year. Lively flirted with it at Duke but they got a message across to him kind of how things have worked with Bradshaw this year. So what better way to control your client then have them attend schools closer to the Agency?

My friend and others know a lot more about this stuff but if you follow things...it's not that hard to put 2 and 2 together and with Dybantsa a lot leads me to think he's a Klutch guy--Clarke was a big influence on his life and he was Klutch client, they wanted Bradshaw at Prolific Prep--he left East Coast for Prolific and why anyone would be interested in USC's basketball program is beyond comprehension. Their Coach is trash. Their program sucks.

Aside from Klutch, I think it's harder than ever to be a coach in CBB/CFB right now. For everyone. Saw Josh Pate mention that several other big name College coaches are about done with things as currently operating. It's a sport where player development is far more important for individual/team success and guys are just running if they don't get to play right away and that's absurd.

Basketball...one guy has a great game and wants more NIL $. Teams tampering....it's just getting worse each day and there are no rules.

Reactions: bballcat4
I think Klutch likes to control clients-not the coaches.
Thanks for info.

Agents controlling players/clients and not coaches was what I thought.

I have never thought Cal was cowtailing to Klutch. He’s always given top recruits time to grow, then reduced minutes late in season if it was needed to help the team. (If there was another player to take those mins!)

There are things I wished Cal did differently, but I don’t know where people create this narrative that he’s giving minutes to specific players to make an agent happy. Cal’s handled outside noise pretty well. It used to be the local entourage or AAU leeches looking for a quick payday. Now, players have agents.

I agree that many coaches have exited and others will soon follow (basketball & football) because of the current climate.

Again, thanks for giving us a glimpse into the under workings of college basketball!

Thanks for info.

Agents controlling players/clients and not coaches was what I thought.

I have never thought Cal was cowtailing to Klutch. He’s always given top recruits time to grow, then reduced minutes late in season if it was needed to help the team. (If there was another player to take those mins!)

There are things I wished Cal did differently, but I don’t know where people create this narrative that he’s giving minutes to specific players to make an agent happy. Cal’s handled outside noise pretty well. It used to be the local entourage or AAU leeches looking for a quick payday. Now, players have agents.

I agree that many coaches have exited and others will soon follow (basketball & football) because of the current climate.

Again, thanks for giving us a glimpse into the under workings of college basketball!
Cal's about as good as it gets when it comes to dealing with this aspect. He doesn't push guys to his friends/allows them to go the route they signed up for before choosing a school. It's why he's able to get guys who are affiliated with other Shoe Sponsors for instance because he won't interfere in someone's deal and can be trusted to not interfere. For example, John Thompson SR basically cut his son's nuts with Jeff Green as he was set to sign with Joel Bell who was affiliated with DC Assault (Adidas top program in DMV and one of their top overall) and the kickback goes to them--ironically a drug lord Curtis Malone who didn't feel it was enough to exploit the DC community by poisoning them-especially Michael Beasley's Mom-but also had to profit off him as an athlete so he basically abused/robbed him in different ways. That being said--Beasley was set to go to GTown and replace Green on the '08 team and Thompson pushed Green to Falk which Thompson like Dean Smith at Carolina--got compensated for acting on behalf of Falk as a "runner" albeit in much more formal title. End of day it 's where the $ maker/$ gets funneled and Assault got pissed and took that connection from JT3 and that pretty much ended his time among the elite.

Meddling goes on at all levels and many coaches/staff members act as runners/sway players to sign with someone. Cal doesn't do this. He's benefited from that and continues to do so-but that doesn't mean he doesn't have to deal with parents/camps worried about FGA's, playing time, etc...like ALL coaches at the top level are dealing with and would've loved to hear what he and Coach K talked about before going on record for the Podcast. I'm sure they were sharing stories of what nutjobs they deal with and what each have done in response to those situations. Now you get to add gambling issues that while they happened--it's much more the norm and really what are people going to say when you have gambling sponsoring the games/networks broadcasting and Vegas which was seen as "Hell" for optic reasons being embraced to the point they want to have Final Fours there in future along with National Championship FB games, we're seeing Super Bowl there and the "inseason NBA" Finals being there as well. MLB is next up and NHL there already. At some point can't pretend to be shocked players are gambling and punisih them-they are so hypocritical.

Reactions: YardCat
Basic premise of what I was told is just watch/enjoy the games and try to forget the things that are happening outside of that. Used to be a lot easier to do that, but as fan of the sport, I hate what CBB has become from where it was. Used to be about the players on the court and coaches control that aspect. Players control the off the court stuff and while I'm all for them getting compensated for true use of NIL, this has been exploited to be something that wasn't intended.

Await the next step of unionizing which will really be a mistake for the players if you ask me, but I argued with a former ND/NFL football player about this over dinner a year ago. Brought up if they form a union, then they become independent contractors and they'll lose $ in long run. Players had it better when the under the table $ came to them tax free. When you read about tax evasion with Pro athletes for instance-they pay their taxes--it's just they have awful/misguided reps who don't realize you have to file for taxes in each state you play. Now if you are the Big Ten for instance--you just added CA/WA/OR to NJ, MD, IL and MN which is not good for anyone financially (know that living up here). SEC is smart by staying in the South for their expansion. So when I'm trying to sell NIL and see all this $ that Big Ten is making from CBS/NBC Peacock/FOX--I then see my wages being cut because I had to fly to play a 2 game trip to CA for UCLA/USC trips and file taxes there--no thanks. Right now all is good for Big Ten players and await to see the financial advisors who hear from players about how much is getting cut from taxes. Hell Kobe Bryant used to mention how annoyed he was being a Laker and seeing what he got after taxes from his Player contract--it was a significant cut which is why the Buss family always tries to make sure their best guys are pushed into business success post playing days. Look at Magic/Shaq for instance.

It'll be interesting to see what NCAA does with the Boutte/LSU gambling charges.
Will be interested to see how Boutte bet. We know he bet LSU games and by his play that season, I'd say he wasn't always betting on the Tigers to win or cover. LOL

Between this and hearing of him tag teaming an off the field LSU Staff member with a position coach....there was a lot going on there. Let's just say it wasn't shocking that he couldn't get the 2nd foot down against Philly in season opener which sums up his last 2 yrs on/off the field.

I thought that organization was going under? At least according to Matt Jones.
Transition phase. They are going to have to give up agency once they own an NBA team (which is Lebron/Paul's next step). Ironically the franchise they are rumored to be getting is going to be in Las Vegas.

Reactions: gharding07
Klutch is our friend. They are the modern version of WWW.

He was good for us too.

I don’t get the whine anyway.

We are the best team in the country. We have the best coach in the country.

And not even playing our best yet.

The CHC has been defeated.

Good day!!

Wtf are you blabbering on about. You sound like a preprogrammed robot, results be damned.

I want Kentucky to build a basketball version of NFL's Wonderlic Test... And have it specifically be designed to figure out who is a true basketball player, and who is just an AAU Youtube star. You fail the test, even as a top recruit, we look elsewhere.

Some of these guys are just SO off the mark from playing college basketball, that we really need to start sniffing out which guys can actually play the game at this level.
Terry Bradshaw, Dan Marino, Lamar Jackson, and Jim Kelly all had poor Wonderlic scores and legends like Blaine Gabbert, Drew Henson, Akili Smith, and Carson Wentz absolutely killed it.

The league no longer uses it from my understanding.

I love data, I don't care for excluding any and everything else though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT