ADVERTISEMENT

Who’s Going to Gator, and What’s Your Story?

The-Hack

All-American
Oct 1, 2016
I’m headed with the usual posse.

I’ve missed only one bowl—the Taxslayer, Covid (2020), Gator, since attending my first bowl in 1993, the Peach.

Are you headed for your 10th Bowl—-your first?

Do you live nearby in Florida? I’m guessing that 10% of my home county has immediate relatives somewhere in Florida.

I think this will be my 14th Bowl trip . . . 7 before Stoops and 7 since.

I’ve missed only one bowl—the Taxslayer, Covid (2020), Gator, since attending my first bowl in 1993, the Peach.

Do you live nearby in Florida? I’m guessing that 10% of my home county has immediate relatives somewhere in Florida.

9 In my group. Got tickets today and staying at the Marriott on yhe Beach 28th-2nd. BLUE!!

I was at the Peach when we beat North Carolina. Attended the Outback when we lost to Penn State. Saw both of Gator Bowls, the Mayo Bowl and both Citrus Bowls. Will be headed up to Jacksonville from Central Florida to see my third Gator Bowl. So, this will be my 8th bowl game.

Go Big Blue!

Will be headed up to Jacksonville from Central Florida to see my third Gator Bowl. So, this will be my 8th bowl game.
Cool.

I sat next to a family of native Floridians decked out in a Blue at the last Citrus Bowl. Older folks were from Kentucky, but the youngsters “dreamed” of attending a game at Kroger.

I thought it was ironic: I had spent decades of wishing UK was playing in a Florida Bowl on January 1st, against a ranked opponent, . . . . and these folks hankered to come North.

I have some extended family and friends in Jax, lived there from ‘88-93 when I was stationed at the Sub Base in Kings Bay, GA which is just across the border on I-95. Hope to meet my son there who’s stationed in Pensacola but not sure if he can make it. Went two Gator Bowls while I was there but also got to see a #1 ranked FSU team open and lose their season in the Gator against an undersized Brett Farve led So Miss team. Drove to Atlanta that same year for the Peach Bowl against Clemson and the heart breaker after Marty Moore’s interception and subsequent fumble at the 20 at the end of the game which gave Clemson a TD and the win. Also saw us play the Tigers in the MC. Great memories.

Last edited:
I have some extended family and friends in Jax, lived there from ‘88-93 when I was stationed at the Sub Base in Kings Bay, GA which is just across the border on I-95. Hope to meet my son there who’s stationed in Pensacola but not sure if he can make it. Went two Gator Bowls while I was there but also got to see a #1 ranked FSU team open and lose their season in the Gator against an undersized Brett Farve led So Miss team. Drove to Atlanta that same year for the Peach Bowl against Clemson and the heart breaker after Marty Moore’s interception and subsequent fumble at the 20 at the end of the game which gave Clemson a TD and the win. Also saw us play the Tigers in the MC. Great memories.
Was at that Peach Bowl, as well. Just a killer play ... going from screaming like crazy to sadness in seconds. Still remember it clearly, unfortunately. Besides that play, it was an exciting game.

Reactions: bluecoon1
We had one year where players that were very important sat out

Those acting like half the team sits out every year are drama queens or have amnesia.

Reactions: JDHoss
Going. Got txs today off Ticketmaster as UK has sold out their allotment.
Staying south of Jax. Want to visit St Augustine.

Reactions: The-Hack
Unfortunately I’ll not be able to attend, but I’ll definitely be watching, jumping and raising my blood pressure. Haha. 100% looking for a win here and that’s with their best players or their second strings. Cats - 34, Tigers - 20!

FYI
Gator Bowl Pep Rallies 5-7pm
Bands and cheerleaders from each school will be at the Seawalk Pavilion on Jacksonville Beach for the official TaxSlayer Gator Bowl Pep Rally. Join the Wildcat Marching Band along with Wildcat, the dance team and cheerleaders for the UK pep rally beginning at 6:15 p.m. EST. No ticket is required

UK Alumni Association Pregame Party
9 - 11 a.m. EST
Intuition Ale Works

We are thinking about. Quick drive for us from SC. It’s our anniversary and I have been instructed that if we go it can’t be all about football.

Was happily attending that game, as well. Beautiful day and even better outcome. Heck of a game!
Yeah, that whole 7 minute drive with two fourth down conversions, some freaky runs by Bowden, a freaky catch by Ali on 4th down, and the last pitch to Ali from Bowden with 13 seconds to go.

Yeah, nice memories.

My arse was squoze tight on that last extra point, then the fumble recovery made it look like a bigger win!

• Love
Reactions: JasonRDunn
FYI
Bands and cheerleaders from each school will be at the Seawalk Pavilion on Jacksonville Beach for the official TaxSlayer Gator Bowl Pep Rally. Join the Wildcat Marching Band along with Wildcat, the dance team and cheerleaders for the UK pep rally beginning at 6:15 p.m. EST. No ticket is required

9 - 11 a.m. EST
Intuition Ale Works
Who in the hell picked a place named Intuition ale works for a pregame ??

Who in the hell picked a place named Intuition ale works for a pregame ??
I would prefer “Imaginative Liquor Lobby,” but it’s the Gator Bowl, not the Sugar, so we have to settle for this.

At least we avoided the Mayo bath for Stoops in Charlotte!

Last edited:
FYI

9 - 11 a.m. EST
Intuition Ale Works

Can't make it to our bowl game this year because I have to attend my younger cousin's wedding. I am happy for her but it's killing me to miss the game. I think we can beat Clemson if we play smart and execute the game plan like we did in Louisville.

I think we can beat Clemson if we play smart and execute the game plan like we did in Louisville.
Had you shown me the Louisville highlights, pre-season, I would have predicted our passing game would break all U K records.

The passing and receiving was crisp, even when heavily contested.

I hope we see that in Jacksonville!

Sure hope so

I saw where Stoops told Coen at halftime of the ul game to “ let it all go” in the 2nd half.

Not sure how to interpret that statement? Did it mean Mark was bowing out of the offense? We looked much better.

Also heard Coen say it was tough to utilize the tight ends and subs with only 55 plays per game. Does that mean he wanted to play faster?

Also heard A&M was talking to Liam and he had a serious sit down with Stoops. Out of that meeting did Liam get complete control of the offense?

Sure hope so

I saw where Stoops told Coen at halftime of the ul game to “ let it all go” in the 2nd half.

Not sure how to interpret that statement? Did it mean Mark was bowing out of the offense? We looked much better.

Also heard Coen say it was tough to utilize the tight ends and subs with only 55 plays per game. Does that mean he wanted to play faster?

Also heard A&M was talking to Liam and he had a serious sit down with Stoops. Out of that meeting did Liam get complete control of the offense?

Stoops is the head coach of the team. Coen works for him. Stop trying to create divisions that do not exist.

Reactions: JC-3
Looks like those going will have a lot of room to stretch out. So many thousands of tickets for sale on Ticketmaster. Last year was one of the worst attended MCB games ever. Won't be surprised if the same happens with the Gator Bowl. The combination of a bad economy, both teams having disappointing seasons, not knowing if all the players on both teams will play, and the shine is wearing off of just making a bowl game will contribute to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kybluedude
I’ll assume that is a “not going,” response.

We’ll have 20K there.
Nope. I have more important things to spend my money on these days. I'm sure not going to contribute to what has become of college athletics anymore. I gave up on the paid pros year ago and headed for the same with college. I haven't been to a game with a paid ticket in about 5 years. I'll only attend games if someone gave me a free ticket. I stopped buying merchandise and told others not to buy it for me a few years ago as well. I'm just barely hanging on at this point. It's hard to totally give something completely up when it's like an addiction, but I'm getting there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT