ADVERTISEMENT

Which coaches were/are the best & worst winners and losers?

bigbluelou

All-SEC
Apr 13, 2011
You know what I'm talking about, but in general:
Good winners - humble in victory, gives other team credit, praises his team's/players' effort, patient with the media, talks about how fortunate he is to ______, etc.Gracious losers - give winners credit, don't throw own team under the bus, talk about areas the winners were better and areas his team needs to improve, may call out particular players/plays to give credit, etc.Bad winners - brag about how great his team is, may say margin could've been even bigger if______, finds ways to bash some of his own players, in extreme cases may badmouth losing team, coach or players, etc.Bad losers - blame everyone but himself, including any combination of his own players, officiating, assistance coaches, bad luck, etc. Gives very little, if any credit to the winners. Is brusque, surly and/or condescending with the media, talks about how *he* is doing everything he can but others just won't conform, may storm out of press conferences or even refuse to attend, etc.
Which coaches come to mind for any of the above? Do you have any glaring examples? I have a few in my mind but don't want to influence any others' opinions.

Worst loser - Rick Pitino, hands down. He embarrasses himself and lOOieville on a regular basis, which, by the way, is awesome.

Wisconsin's Coach was pretty bitter last year when Ky beat them. I would put him in the sore loser column.

Hopefully,Mike Anderson will be the king of butt-hurt after tomorrow!
Absolutely can't stand that racist!

Call me crazy, but I think Coach K is usually pretty gracious after a loss. Throw Tom Izzo and Bruce Pearl into that group too.

This post was edited on 3/14 11:40 PM by bigblue@msu

I wish people would get over Tom Izzo being Mr nice guy..... Not true.... He goes about it in a subtle way, but he never gives some teams credit, it's always his team losing, not the other team winning....

Originally posted by bigblue@msu:
Call me crazy, but I think Coach K is usually pretty gracious after a loss. Throw Tom Izzo and Bruce Pearl into that group too.

Absolutely. Quality guys

Best when it comes to the Cats ... Bruce Pearl. He always has nice things to say about UK. Also, I like Donovan ... he seems to be a straight shutter.

Anderson is a total butt ... as is Calhoun, B. Knight, and Pitino. Butthurt central.

Originally posted by bigblue@msu:

To start with - I hate dUKe, but Coach K has always been classy - to the media. He keeps up their image that way. I will always remember him helping Richie Farmer up of the floor after the Leatnner (Whom we all still hate). He also said a ton of great things about our guys instantly in the on court interview, even before he talked about his team.

Biggest sore loser is not even a contest - Pitino. His rants, excuses and throwing players under the bus is becoming legendary!!

Who really gives a rats ass?

On any given day if you lose your mood may be pretty bad so i think Its only fair to not judge too harshly here.

Originally posted by musrat59:

Seems like about everyone agrees on Anderson as do I.
He takes after his mentor Nolan. After he lost to us one year, that's when he went on his insane rant about how he was going to bring in tanks.

after Izzo's comments about not getting recruits recruits because he won't cheat, including Tyler Ulis I hope we play Michigan St and beat them by 50+.

Originally posted by OOOOOOO:

Wisconsin's Coach was pretty bitter last year when Ky beat them. I would put him in the sore loser column.
Imagine being Bo Ryan... 1st final four ever, pretty decent chance at a title. Kentucky's underachieving band of McD AA's comes in and wins on a buzzer beater for the 4th game in a row. Austin Jackson's shot goes halfway down at the buzzer. Hard to IMMEDIATELY be Mr. 'Tolly ho, good sport'. I get mad if a friend sinks a putt to beat me, let alone a chance at a title.

My vote is Pitino. Crean is a great loser because he's had tons of practice. He's just a bad winner, also because he doesn't have much practice.

Originally posted by tank2009:

On any given day if you lose your mood may be pretty bad so i think Its only fair to not judge too harshly here.
You're sadly mistaken when its a "given day" when it comes to jerks like Anderson, Pitino and Crean. Sorry.

Originally posted by tank2009:

At the time I'm posting this, there have been 667 occurrences of people "giving a rat's ass". But thanks you for your insightful contribution.

Also, Thad Matta was extremely gracious and complimentary of UK after our win in 2011.

Originally posted by bigbluelou:
Also, Thad Matta was extremely gracious and complimentary of UK after our win in 2011.
I was just about to post this... plus Thad Matta seems to really irritate Clappy which makes him even better in my book!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT