ADVERTISEMENT

Where Does Allen Fit In?

He might start. Didn't he average 40 a game as a senior. I realize it was not against top competition but thats a lot of scoring. Might have been why Juzang left after he saw him in practice.

He has 4 year remaining of eligibility and will have been out of game action for almost 2 years by next fall. He won't be forced into action before he's ready and can practice against the best talent in the nation.

Then in the 2021-22 season....Jacob Toppin and Allen will both start the year as Red-shirt sophomores with 3 years remaining. The only other times we've had 3rd year player duos returning were (not counting year 1 after BCG) Liggins/Miller & Poythress/Willie.

If he goes in and gets points without having to take to many shots he ll play. Cal has shown with guys like Allen to put them on a short leash when he has studs on the bench. If Allen’s on the floor Boston or Clarke are on the bench

Cal may have to adjust with this team or he might lose it.

He can’t. He has the 2 top 5 guys to appease and brooks. Allen will see freshman quickley like minutes
Well for starters there's going to be Boston & Clarke in front of him. Askew & Mintz both can play off the ball as well. Brooks can play the 3. Then add in Cam'Ron Fletcher who he is competing with for minutes.

I don't see many minutes for him unless he becomes a Doron Lamb or Tony Delk level sniper. I think the best role for him could be a Ravi Moss type shooter for this team. The still have 3 years to compete for a starting spot.

Say we only lose the seniors, Brooks, and 2 projected lottery picks and don't bring in any other recruits (We will)

Jackson
Ware
Fletcher/Toppin
Allen
Askew

That team by itself looks just ok...add in more grad transfers and 5-star guys? Yeah 1-2 may transfer or declare surprisingly...but that's a great base of talent.

I agree I hope he becomes a great player for us.
Sure would be nice to see Cal take a homegrown Kentucky kid and develop him into a lottery pick.
That would be something for our young Kentucky kids to look up to and would be great for our fanbase also I think.

Before his injuries I think this kid had a real chance of getting into the league and playing. Hopefully he's healed 100% and proceed on with his dream.

He's a great Kentucky scorer, but he honestly didn't play anyone based on the high school he went to. I really want to see what he has.

He's a great Kentucky scorer, but he honestly didn't play anyone based on the high school he went to. I really want to see what he has.
Well that is a yes...

But he averaged 40 ppg in the same region as Chris Lofton (SEC POY) & Darius Miller (SEC Champion, NBA 3-pt % leader).

Reactions: BlueSince92
Hell be eased in to the rotation at first. X amount of games. Probably 5-6. Then start expanding his minutes.

He might start. Didn't he average 40 a game as a senior. I realize it was not against top competition but thats a lot of scoring. Might have been why Juzang left after he saw him in practice.
He has zero chance of starting. 6th man would be his absolute ceiling. I think he's about the 8th or 9th guy next year.

Reactions: Cats192
He's played zero minutes of college basketball--and that's such a huge factor. We see guys who are studs in high school who aren't coming off injury struggle to adjust to the college game.

I realize Allen isn't some scrub that's just here because he's a Kentucky boy. Some of you remind us in every single thread. I believe he can be very good. But I also realize he has a lot working against him being a major piece of the puzzle this year.

I suspect he gets spot minutes backing up the SG spot, 8-10 minutes a game.

High school stats just don't matter.

He won't start. We've got Clarke and Boston to play the 2/3.

I honestly forget he’s on the roster when thinking about next year’s lineup. The coaches I’m connected to in KY hoops say he’s the real deal. We’ll see.

Reactions: Bill Withers
The key as to who is gonna get the most playing time will be determined by which guards and forwards can play defense. If they are not capable, then our BIGs will get into foul troubles early. I haven't seen any of our new forwards and guards play; except for Clarke and Boston (both seemed to watch the games on defense) on TV. If the newbies can't guard the other teams front court, they'll be on the bench. Cal is a DEFENSIVE coach!!!

GBB!!!!

The hs stats are ridiculous but I was more impressed with HOW he plays.

Obv he’s tall and can shoot (already lauded as the best shooter on the team last year) but he’s very SAVVY.

He has handle and vision and you can tell is an all around basketball player. Plays with pace and for as laid back as he seems, Is quite assertive and confident as a scorer.

I don’t think his game will be too much affected by the injury. He’s had more than the proper time to heal and his game isn’t based on crazy leaping ability or explosion in the first place.

Idk how many minutes he’ll get this year, but he will definitely help this team and get some buckets.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT