ADVERTISEMENT

When did you start the clock on your "fan-dom"?

bigbluelou

All-SEC
Apr 13, 2011
Not, "How old are you?" or "What's the first game you can remember?"

When you say, "I've been a fan since XXXX," what year/date do you give, and why?

For me, I remember the 1975 UK/IU game but I honestly didn't realize the magnitude of the game, UK basketball, or BBN. I kind of meandered through life as a young boy until the 1978 title game with Duke. That's when I was hooked officially and can honestly say that was the day I came into my own as a fan.

So...March 27, 1978

This post was edited on 1/16 4:36 PM by bigbluelou

late 50s listening to games on the radio becoming fans of people like Dickie Parsons, Ted Deeken, Cotton Nash and countless others. You had to imagine what the action looked like.

Dad was a fan since 70s. I didn't really understand what I was supporting until my family drove up from NC to watch the championship game in '96. I understood how much it meant to people when I was driving the roads toll of Lexington by UK. A lady (300 lbs+) ran out of her house down the porch stairs. It appears her pants were not fully on which lead to them falling down to her ankles and her tumbling down only to get up and waddle to the edge of the street. She didn't miss a beat lol.

March 28, 1992.

I was actually raised as a UofL fan. My dad went to UofL and tried to raise his kids as UofL fans. I can remember as a kid doodling pictures with the cardinal bird. But I never really watched any games and as I got older I tried to watch games, but just got bored with it.

As UK took Duke to the wire in 1992 I realized I was cheering harder for UK than I ever had for UofL. When Laettner finally broke my heart I realized I felt more pain over that loss than I had ever felt over UofL losing. From that day forward I have been a diehard UK fan.

I am from Northwest Tennessee about 45 minutes from South Fulton Kentucky.My dads family are all from Mayfield, Kentucky. I was brought up UK since birth. If I had to put a date on when I became what I am today, I would say the mid 90's being the towel boys with my sister at the girls Kentucky games and going to the father son camps by Pitino and the 90's players. I was between 8-11. That, and maybe earlier with the Travis Ford/Mashburn days but I was really young.. So that would be my story.

This post was edited on 1/16 4:59 PM by .S&C.

My family were transplants. I didn't catch on to UK bball until I went to college in 1974. I had an IU roommate and a UK fan for friends. The first game I recall watching was the 75 semi-final. After that, I was hooked.

9/16/69! 😎

Honestly, I can't ever remember not being a diehard UK fan. I remember wiping my socks for free throws in jr league basketball so if I had to give a date I'd say the Macy era.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

The blue/white game was in Owensboro back in 1991. My mom took my brother and I.

After the game they let us on the floor to get autographs. That was it

Since I was born in '83. Always watched games with dad, even when I was too young to know what was going on. I remember cold nights at Commonwealth watching us play Vandy and LSU.

I started listening and keeping score of games with my mother during the 1970 season. I have vague memories of the years 1970-74, but I was very small and the whole Kentucky Basketball thing hadn't coalesced for me yet. The 74-75 season is the first I can really remember. As it progressed, I kept going to another level with regard to my interest. Like many, I'm sure, it was the historic win over Indiana in the tournament which catapulted me into Big Blue fanaticism, and I've been there ever since.

From a sociological standpoint, my (extended) family is revelatory with regard to Kentucky Basketball. My father's side is more urban, mostly professionals, many of which attended schools out of state. Despite that, virtually all of them are huge UK fans- including one doctor who went to Indiana and attended medical school at UofL. He's a UK season ticket holder.
laugh.r191677.gif

My mother's family is almost the exact opposite: rural, blue collar, and not as educated. The only thing they have in common with my father's side? They're all- I mean every one of them- UK fans.

Such is life in the BBN!

Originally posted by gossie21:
March 28, 1992.

I was actually raised as a UofL fan. My dad went to UofL and tried to raise his kids as UofL fans. I can remember as a kid doodling pictures with the cardinal bird. But I never really watched any games and as I got older I tried to watch games, but just got bored with it.

As UK took Duke to the wire in 1992 I realized I was cheering harder for UK than I ever had for UofL. When Laettner finally broke my heart I realized I felt more pain over that loss than I had ever felt over UofL losing. From that day forward I have been a diehard UK fan.
Ditto, this.

I have the vaguest memories of the 96 team. For the honest, insane "every game is who I am for that day" fan....the 98 tournament run.

I was lucky enough to have my earliest memories be the end and meat of our 90s dynasty and my time as a student be the Cal era. Let's just ignore what is in between.

Originally posted by bigbluelou:

For me, I remember the 1975 UK/IU game but I honestly didn't realize the magnitude of the game, UK basketball, or BBN. I kind of meandered through life as a young boy until the 1978 title game with Duke. That's when I was hooked officially and can honestly say that was the day I came into my own as a fan.

So...March 27, 1978
Sorta' the same story. My dad (RIP, man I wish he was still around for this year's team) was your classic guy who listened to every game on the radio (even when games were televised) with Cawood calling.

The '78 title game my parents invited over several other couples who had children around my age. Of course, the adults were screaming and getting into the game while myself and the other kids played in my room. I was nine years old. I finally went down to watch the second half with the adults to figure out why everybody was so excited... leaving the other kids behind to play in my room.

That's when I got it ! I felt the passion and excitement as I watched Goose go on the loose ! Been hooked every since.

A few years later, Dad bought me a copy of the first Cat's Pause for the '80-'81 season for $2.00. Every year for Christmas he continued to buy me one and I started reading, learning about UK history. By age 12, I could discuss UK knowledge with him while we listened to every game and he reminisced about Rupp's teams with me. While attending UK for undergrad and graduate school, he came up and saw several games with me. Great memories !!!

EDIT: Dad passed away five years ago, but I still buy Cat's Pause in honor of him (I have every one published). But, this year's 35th edition was a little more pricey that the first one he bought me-- $15.95

This post was edited on 1/16 8:09 PM by tbone.ky

Originally posted by warrior_SW:
I have the vaguest memories of the 96 team. For the honest, insane "every game is who I am for that day" fan....the 98 tournament run.

I was lucky enough to have my earliest memories be the end and meat of our 90s dynasty and my time as a student be the Cal era. Let's just ignore what is in between.
Basically me.

I was an occasional fan in the late 60's to early 70's but after watching the UK/IU game in 1975 I was hooked.

December 1964, UKIT, we beat West Virginia in the first game. They were highly ranked early but ended the season 15-10, I died with every loss even back then. I was in jr high.

I have been a fan since Mashburn's junior year . I watched the UL game with my dad and just got into from there. I remember seeing the Lattener crap happen the year before but i still wasn't hooked til the next year . Hated Michigan for a long time due to the loss in the Final 4 .

'64-'65 season. I was 11 yrs old and just got a radio for Christmas. A friend told me to listen to the Cats on the Hazard station. The rest is history.

Fan since the 80's. Born and raised a wildcat but probably '93 was when I really started following UK basketball full time. I remember watching the 92 game but I don't remember hurting then like it does now. Of course I was only 11. In 93, I started cutting out newspaper clippings and taping them to my bedroom door. UK attire became my entire wardrobe and it was devastating for a Cats loss.

Early 60's when I was old enough to know what it was all about. Mother raised me on it.

January 1969, when conference play began. Started listening to Cawood with my Dad, who was listening long before that date.. He taught me how to make a scorecard in a notebook and how to use Street & Smith's to get the opposing teams lineups. Popcorn, Coca-cola, and Cawood on the radio.

For me it was 1971 when I was in the first grade. Ronnie Lyons was legend in my hometown of Maysville (Mason County) and we all gathered around the TV to watch him play in black and white. Been hooked ever since.

Wooden's last game when UCLA beat us in the finals. Its the earliest I can remember really caring about it, although I remember earlier years somewhat.

Guys, I love hearing these stories. Thanks so much for sharing...and keep 'em coming.
smile.r191677.gif

The late fall of 1965. I was 8. Listened to Cawood on the radio in a dimly lit room while my dad sipped bourbon and smoked cigarettes. Fairly common story for us who grew up in rural Kentucky. In my case my dad knew Cawoods' family pretty well. And that was Rupp's Runts. By the time they lost the title game the next March I was hooked. For life.

Well I can't say I've been a fan as long as most of you, but I became a fan in 2008 when I decided that I was going to attend UK. I'm from Virginia, grew up a Tech fan. My first game after deciding UK was where I wanted to go was the Vanderbilt game where we lost by about forty. I don't think I finished that game. My first game after committing was the tornado game, and the first UK game I saw in person was the Miami game in 2008. Not exactly the best introduction but I learned to love it.

I became a fan the night Christian Laettner hit "the shot." I put down a nintendo game, turned on the tv and thought, "Oh hey! The place where I'm from is on tv!" And then, a little later, I was like, "Oh hey! My heart just got ripped out of my chest after that shot!"

And I've watched every game since, because my heart cares.

Late 70's I must have been about 5 at the time. Dad, Mom and I were at McAlpins at Lexington Mall shopping. Dad spotted Levon Williams and Freddie Cowen shopping. Dad gave me a pen and a piece of paper and sent me over to get their autograph. Guess he figured I would get a big kick out of it... I went directly over and tugged on one or the others pant leg and told them my daddy wanted their autograph. Apparently they thought that was pretty funny...and I ended up with a great memory of Dad..

I don't remember exactly how old I was but I remember Claud Sullivan calling a game on the radio with Cotton Nash.I believe it was 1957 and I was about 11 years old.
This post was edited on 1/17 12:45 AM by sillcat

Technically since birth because I'm a child of UK alums who are season ticket holders in football and basketball and my first complete sentence was "U of L go to hell," (Thanks pops). My earliest UK memory was about 1984. I was 3. My mom and dad were infatuated with the 84 FF team and I remember I got to see that team play at Rupp with my dad. Don't know who we played or if we won but I had ice cream. From 84-88 I kinda paid attention but still didn't become emotionally invested because I was too busy doing kid stuff.

Probation shook our household to the core. Parents got excited when Rick was hired and dad just so happened to inherit two more season tickets and we went to every home game in support of Pitino's Bombinos. That hooked me in and by the time we started rolling under Pitino I was a diehard, take every loss personally kind of young fan. I was fortunate enough to see us cut down the nets in 96 and 98 in person (and to see us get so close in 97). And haven't missed a game either in person, watching on TV, online or listening on radio since the 1989-1990 season.

I have enjoyed reading this thread and it got me wondering exactly when my memory of UK started - listening to Cawood. I found that UK games were one of my earliest memories. I went to Mr. Scott's UKBB site, bigbluehistory.net, went through the rosters looking at the seniors and a name jumped out at me, Jim LeMaster. I can almost hear Cawood's voice now.

I invested in 71, when a local boy made the team. I have never been able to go to many games but have rarely missed, watching or listening to both bb and fb.

The '78 title game against Duke. I wasn't blessed to be born a Kentuckian and my family didn't follow basketball. I found UK on my own. I've bled blue ever since.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT