ADVERTISEMENT

What's your thoughts on the Final Four in men's basketball becoming double elimination?

Because you couldn’t fill out your bracket before the tourney. That’s one of the best parts of the tourney for the majority of the people out there.

That's a good point.

We had to have UK playing 1 seed Wisconsin while Duke got 5 seed Michigan state in 2015 due to Bubba and Betty casuals bracket.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
For years, at an old job, we had a large (200 person) NCAA-T pool that was started and ran by Statisticians. And in that pool you would only pick games one weekend at a time. It actually kept the interest throughout.
My wife never watches basketball, yet she fills out a bracket every year.

If you make it too complicated, the average fan (ones who only pay attention in March) won’t bother.

It won’t matter to me and you, the diehards, but my wife isn’t going to take the time to fill out a bracket every week of the tourney. She wants to fill out one bracket in about 5 minutes and then watch the games and hope she gets lucky.

And guess what, she won her office pool once.

I think that is the draw of March Madness, you don’t have to know anything, you can be a casual fan and still have a shot. And you don’t have to think much about it.

You complicate it, and people will lose interest.

• Love
Reactions: KFuqua
That's a good point.

We had to have UK playing 1 seed Wisconsin while Duke got 5 seed Michigan state in 2015 due to Bubba and Betty casuals bracket.
College basketball fans are going to watch it no matter what.

But Bubba and Betty are watching because of their bracket.

Those extra eyes in March are what pay the bills.

My wife never watches basketball, yet she fills out a bracket every year.

If you make it too complicated, the average fan (ones who only pay attention in March) won’t bother.

It won’t matter to me and you, the diehards, but my wife isn’t going to take the time to fill out a bracket every week of the tourney. She wants to fill out one bracket in about 5 minutes and then watch the games and hope she gets lucky.

And guess what, she won her office pool once.

I think that is the draw of March Madness, you don’t have to know anything, you can be a casual fan and still have a shot. And you don’t have to think much about it.

You complicate it, and people will lose interest.
Agreed; my wife is the same way. She may watch a Kentucky game with me sometimes, but she has no interest in college basketball other than that. But, she loves to fill out her bracket and then watch the tournament.

Not the entire tournament but once it reaches the Final Four. Then it becomes double elimination for the Final Four teams.
I'm not saying that I would be in favor of this. Being the traditionalist that I am, personally I would be against it. If the Final Four was double elimination it would help ensure that the best team would win the tournament more times than not. What would have a double elimination Final Four format have done for our 2015 team?
Not me, perfect the way it is if they will quit adding teams

Not the entire tournament but once it reaches the Final Four. Then it becomes double elimination for the Final Four teams.
I'm not saying that I would be in favor of this. Being the traditionalist that I am, personally I would be against it. If the Final Four was double elimination it would help ensure that the best team would win the tournament more times than not. What would have a double elimination Final Four format have done for our 2015 team?
Too many games played already with a 64 (soon to be 72 or 76 ) team format. But if they cut it back to 32 then I’d be all for double-elimination.

The ncaat is the greatest just as it is. Why do so many want to keep changing it? Smh

• Love
I like it. Games would have to be on consecutive days though. Otherwise, it would drag on too long.

I wish people would stop trying to improve a perfect event.

Also we as fans need to understand the ultimate outcome is not solely indicative of success.
This is how I know eventually we're going to lose the KHSAA Sweet 16 Tournament to the class system. Bureacrats and ideologues will kill it off.

Nothing can be left alone. Everyone is convinced they know better and they're geniuses and their vision will achieve perfection.

Forget the double elimination, get back to having the final four held in actual basketball gyms where they play games throughout the year. These makeshift courts placed in the middle of football fields for the 3 most important games of the year alter the results of the game IMO. Is there another sport that changes up the total makeup of the venue for the championship games? Just utter stupidity!!!!! At least they make money though!!!!

It could be 8x elimination if Higgins and the other Cal hating referees are still officiating our games. UCONN was gifted that title.

The NCAA would never go for it, but I'd love a model like the NCAA baseball tournament where you have the top 16 seeds hosting a small regional and then you get a best-of-3 super regional, and then you get the double elimination CWS that produces a best-of-three title game.

Gives teams a second chance once they get in and puts a priority on being a top seed. But the NCAA loves having the tournament games in these huge arenas that screw with sight lines so it won't happen.

Before anything else - LEAVE IT ALONE

If it has to be changed:

Regular Season #1 and #2 for the Big 4 (SEC, Big 10, Big 12, ACC)

Tournament Champs or #3 regular season from them as well.

Other 4 teams are the highest rated teams from other conferences.

16 teams, best of 3 first two rounds. Best of 5 last two rounds.

That gets the best teams against each other.

But to sum it all up - LEAVE IT ALONE

Forget the double elimination, get back to having the final four held in actual basketball gyms where they play games throughout the year. These makeshift courts placed in the middle of football fields for the 3 most important games of the year alter the results of the game IMO. Is there another sport that changes up the total makeup of the venue for the championship games? Just utter stupidity!!!!! At least they make money though!!!!
Money rules , common sense left the building years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT