ADVERTISEMENT

What's on your Mt. Rushmore of personal favorite movies, and why?

J_Dee

Junior
Mar 21, 2008
Star Wars: ask me tomorrow, and I might say Empire or Jedi, but this place is still always held by a one of the three original Star Wars movies. I was born right when Star Wars hit theaters and I grew up constantly surrounded by the OT.
The Fellowship of the Ring: my favorite film adaptation of a book that's very important to me. Seeing it at Regal in Lexington with a bunch of friends on the Saturday after opened is one of the most fun days I've ever had.
A Clockwork Orange: Stanley Kubrick's my favorite director and A Clockwork Orange is my favorite of his works. Way back in the mid-90s a late friend introduced me to it as well as Doctor Who and GG Allin (but I've forgiven him for those two ;) ).
Transformers: the Movie: I don't know much about Transformers past 1990 (I watched the first two Michael Bay movies and that's it), but as a kid I loved Transformers and I had a blast seeing this in theaters back in '86. I rewatch it probably once a year.

The Thing, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, Superman, Batman, Batman Returns, Spider-Man, and Spider-Man 2 all get honorable mentions.

Last edited:
My guilty pleasures...

Con-Air
Top Gun
Green Mile
Road House

My top tier...

Godfather II
Rocky
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Shawshank

Reactions: Atrain7732
Not necessarily the best... but I can watch repeatedly:

The Big Lebowski
Shawshank Redemption
The King’s Speech
Young Frankenstein

The Fellowship of the Ring
The Empire Strikes Back
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Back to the Future

Raiders of the Lost Ark
Return of the Jedi
Batman 89
Caddyshack

This is too hard. I'm building another Mount Rushmore so I can include LOTR - The Two Towers, Batman Begins, For a Few Dollars More, and Braveheart.

Halloween
Jaws
Saving Private Ryan
Dazed and Confused

My reasons: I've always loved horror/scary movies and such and Halloween has long been my favorite. Plus, it gets extra credit for John Carpenter and Tommy Lee Wallace being KY natives and all of the references to the Bowling Green area in the movie.

Jaws - Started the concept of the summer blockbuster. Is part drama, suspense, thriller, adventure, etc. The movie has it all.

Saving Private Ryan - If not for men like those depicted in this movie, all movies may be in German right now.

Dazed and Confused - Always takes me back to great that feeling was on the last day of school as a kid with the summer ahead. Great characters and nostalgia feel. Oh. And probably the greatest soundtrack ever.

Reactions: Atrain7732
Tough to get just 4...

Bourne Trilogy
Gladiator
Se7en
Good Will Hunting

Several more on Mt Rushmore II...
American Sniper
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
Den Of Thieves
Heat
Man on Fire
The Equalizer
Training Day
The Accountant
Tombstone
No Country For Old Men
13 Hours
Sicario
Goodfellas
The Terminator
The Usual Suspects
The Game

I have to stop at 20 total or I'll go forever and need a Mt Rushmore in every state.

Reactions: trentmonster
Wizard of Oz
Clockwork
Godfather II
No Country

Honorable Mention:
Last of the Mohicans
Oh Brother
Star Wars A New Hope
Godfather

Back To The Future- The perfect movie. No wasted dialogue.

The Godfather- The cast, the acting, the plot. IMO, the greatest movie ever made.

Return Of The Jedi- A perfect ending to the greatest story ever told.

Blazing Saddles- Hardest I've laughed during any movie.

Open Range
Forrest Gump
First Blood
My Cousin Vinny
Shawshank Redemption
Jaws
Death Wish The first one, but they're all good.
Dirty Harry Do you feel lucky punk?
Major League

The Great Escape: Actual and mostly Factual war movie.

Hoosiers: Just like the storyline

The Shootist: John Wayne's movie life in one movie.

A scent of a Woman: Al Pacino at his best (IMO)

Honorable mentions: Trading Places and A muppet Christmas Carol.

Tin Cup
Interstellar
The Other Guys
Signs

- TC is just sooo good. And so quotable. And didn’t end how a sports flick is supposed to end but you like the ending nonetheless

- Interstellar is prolly my all time favorite movie. Love space flicks. It’s futuristic but realistc (to me)...having kids (and a daughter) have the ole heartstring tug too. Lastly, the best score ever. Like ever. Goosebumps.

- TOG is criminally underrated. WF is great but Marky andthe British guy are effing fantastic. I laugh just thinking about the British dude. It’s not a bribe. It’s not a bribe.

- Signs kinda gets my space/aliens love but mainly just enjoy it and the themes. JP is great in that one.

Reactions: KRJ1975
Bladerunner
Blues Brothers
Pulp Fiction
The Matrix

There are better movies out there, but any time I see these I am immediately sucked back in despite having seen them all many, many times.

Reactions: Rex Kwon Do
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT