ADVERTISEMENT

What would you have drawn up?

FurdTerguson

Sophomore
Jan 9, 2009
I was "watching" via Gamecast so I had no idea who was in the game. I thought for sure Dillingham would either take the shot or kick it to an open Shep or Reeves. Was expecting a game-winning three to pop up.

A lob?

I said this on the forum before the play happened.

Reeves or Dilly drives to the basket and draw the defense then kick out to Reeves or Dilly for a 3.

Oh wait Dilly wasn't in the game unbelievable to me.

Anyway still a drive to the basket and kick to Reeves for a 3.

Reactions: Kerry Kat
Option 1: Reed drive. He had 20+ points all in the half and was on fire.

Option 2: Reeves gets the ball from Reed and looks for a floater.

Option 3: Put Rob in and let him do just about anything.

Option 4: Drive and kick out to Reeves for a 3.

Option 5: Thiero drive to the hole.

Those and 12 more were better than what Cal drew up.

I certainly wouldn’t call a lob play. I would of had Sheppard or silly with the ball, and ran fade screens to the corners for 3s in case Reed or dilly couldn’t get to the rim

Reactions: true blue1
I certainly wouldn’t call a lob play. I would of had Sheppard or silly with the ball, and ran fade screens to the corners for 3s in case Reed or dilly couldn’t get to the rim
Maybe CCC was thinking the lob was the last play they'd expect so he called it. Please note this is said with heavy sarcasm.

I wouldve just told Reed Sheppard to shoot a prayer from halfcourt before I drew up a lob…

• Haha
Reactions: bIhawk
There’s nothing technically wrong with the setup of the play. But it should have been made crystal clear to Reed that the lob shouldn’t be thrown unless the man was completely unguarded. And there should have been shooters posted outside the 3 point line all over the court. Reeves, Dillingham, Z. Those should have been the options. And the opportunity was there for Reed to just rise up and shoot. His man wasn’t up on him that close.

There’s nothing technically wrong with the setup of the play. But it should have been made crystal clear to Reed that the lob shouldn’t be thrown unless the man was completely unguarded. And there should have been shooters posted outside the 3 point line all over the court. Reeves, Dillingham, Z. Those should have been the options. And the opportunity was there for Reed to just rise up and shoot. His man wasn’t up on him that close.
Love are never a guaranteed play. We ran a big risk play in a low risk need. That’s always bad.

I missed the game but you cannot be serious that Dillingham wasn’t in the game on that last play. Cal legitimately sucks at this

It sucks to have wasted that amazing Reed Sheppard block at the 3 point line then he grabbed the ball drove and scored and got and AND 1 out of it.

After being down 12 in the 2nd half to get up 6 and blow it.

Really sucks.......bad

• Haha
Reactions: bIhawk
Let Rob create a bucket for himself or a teammate, so random basketball because we have a Coach who is lost right now!

Reed penetrate as he has been beating them inside so they would collapse and kick it to Reeves for 3 in the corner.

I would have had Reed/Rob/Reeves/Z/DJ on the floor.

Have DJ penetrate for an easy 2 or a kick out to any of the 4 around the 3 point line if anyone helps. If you don’t feel good about DJ’s decision making, let Reed drive it. Crash the boards.

Ideally I get on open 3 from one of our elite shooters and everyone goes home happy.

Reed or Reeves 3 point shot we could not stop them so why try to tie the score should have went for the win

Last edited:
I said this on the forum before the play happened.

Reeves or Dilly drives to the basket and draw the defense then kick out to Reeves or Dilly for a 3.

Oh wait Dilly wasn't in the game unbelievable to me.

Anyway still a drive to the basket and kick to Reeves for a 3.
Could also set a back screen for Big Z and have him shoot the 3.

Definitely a three because a two only ties and who wants to watch an extra 5 minutes of Few kicking Cal’s a**?

You’ve got to run multiple screens from the baseline to elbow for reeves & dilly, must take Edwards out at the point. Get the ball in reeves hands with the ability for him to drive then if not run a high ball screen with thiero on reed and then screen down for with our 5 to reeves for reed an outlet if can’t score or get to the rim. A lob probably has about 15% chance of working at that point & something you run after tipoff cause it doesn’t kill yoi if missed.

Edwards and Ugo were in the game while Z and Dilly were on the bench. That mattered much more than which play was called.

Option 1: Reed drive. He had 20+ points all in the half and was on fire.

Option 2: Reeves gets the ball from Reed and looks for a floater.

Option 3: Put Rob in and let him do just about anything.

Option 4: Drive and kick out to Reeves for a 3.

Option 5: Thiero drive to the hole.

Those and 12 more were better than what Cal drew up.
Like all of your options Runnin. Would you be available to take the head coaching job next year for a few million?

Last edited:
Correct, I stated this in another post. Problem is Rob and Z had been on the bench for a long while. Had they been in the game previously you would have had 5 scores on the floor with Adou, Antonio, and Reed. Run a screen with Z and Rob and place Anton

Like all of your options Runnin. Would you be available to take the head coaching job next year for a few million?
Hey, I'm just as good as him and I'll do it for the front row seat...

A Reed/Dilly chuck from 5 feet behind the 3 point line would have been better

Reactions: Aike
Ran a pick for Shep with Reeves as option 2 and Dilly option 3

All three behind the arc to go for the win.

Cal clogs the lane with Ugo

Reactions: Aike
It was the dumbest play call in the history of College Basketball. It was the highest risk play he could call one where everything has to go perfect.
There was really only one play to call.
Dillingham should have been put in.
Dilly is by far our best guard when it comes to creating his own shot . You give him the ball and let him go. He either gets to the rim and scores or gets fouled or draws the defense and dishes to an open player. There you go Cal. I don't make 9 million a year for that either.

Reactions: UK2005_24
Thing was though, Ugo’s ass was right under the basket clogging the middle and allowing his man to make a play on the lob . Which he did . Ugo shouldn’t have even been in the game at that point. If you MUST play a seven footer then it has to be Z . But his ass doesn’t need to be clogging up the middle !

Ugo does not need to be in. Nor Edwards. Reed, Reeves, Dilly, Z and Thiero or Wagner. Have Reed drive and kick as they were going to be all over him. Z would have been a good option from 3.

No Lane Cloggers

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT