ADVERTISEMENT

What would you consider a more successful season not necessarily this year but overall?

Which season would you consider the most successful?

• 35-38 wins, SEC Regular Season title, SEC Tourney title and lose the first weekend of Big Dance

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Creed Bratton

All-American
May 31, 2018
Lex Town
We all have varying opinions on what is successful when it comes to our basketball team. Some place more emphasis on the regular season and some the tournament. I'm just curious, as a fan base, which option do we think is more successful?

Reactions: chroix
Play your best players and show growth as a team/individual improvement from start to end of season. Nobody should be making November mistakes in mid March. That's failure that was becoming the standard far too often around here.

For example, when your season basically ended because Dillingham was lost defensively on ball side and Oakland nails the one shot you can't give up down 1 in that situation.....think back to the Kansas game and how he kept going under and giving up wide open 3's to keep them in the game/eventually put UK Away. That is unacceptable.

The regular season title and Final 4 makes number 3 too easy a choice.

Obviously Final 4s a goal. But I don't want to be like Miami. History is filled with bad teams that Inspector Clouseau their way for two weeks into Final Four.

In a choice, Id rather be a great regular season team and prove it with an elite 8. Over aggravating can't put it together except 4 games in March.

Final fours are a success. It depends on the teams and how well they play. Do they play the champion and lose in elite barn burner?

Win as many games in the regular season as possible, do not lose to severe underdogs. Win games in the SEC tournament, make it to the championship game, Make it to the Elite 8. After the Elite 8, it is a crapshoot, it is tough. But at least get there, then let the chips fall where they may. I will never turn my nose up at winning 25-28 games, make it to the SEC tournament final, then make the Elite 8. Do that enough, you will get the grand prize, the Championship. You have to get there to have a chance. I know under NORMAL circumstances we will not make the Final 4 or win the SEC tournament every year, not possible in todays landscape. But at least get there fairly frequently, and if we get beat, At least you can say you played your ass off and lost to a better team. But losing early to a underdog, it leaves you wondering what if ?? UK should never lose to a major underdog more than once a decade, Upsets happen, but the losses we have had recently, was becoming the norm, under performing is NEVER acceptable. But upsets do happen, even to UK. ALL teams have faced them. SO one every so often you can live with.

National Runner up is the 2nd best thing you can win each year. If you wouldn't care about other accolades in front of a championship you shouldn't care about them over the 2nd best achievement.

We’re Kentucky. Anything other than a title is 100% disappointment with no room for margins.

We should always hold them to that standard.

But I like the post OP. Makes you think

We’re Kentucky. Anything other than a title is 100% disappointment with no room for margins.

We should always hold them to that standard.

But I like the post OP. Makes you think
Every year ? That will never happen if so. You can hold them to what ever standard you want, but you have to be realistic. A title every year is way impossible, thus too high of a standard for any program. Now maybe a title every 4/5 years, but you just can't expect a team to do it every year. Do you mean going into the year expectations ? Depending on team and other teams talent, that is not even realistic. Some years a Final 4 would be a great achievement, some years, championship, but not every year. You are setting yourself up for major disappointment and unfair criticism to the team doing that. No team in any sport will ever do that.

Every year ? That will never happen if so. You can hold them to what ever standard you want, but you have to be realistic. A title every year is way impossible, thus too high of a standard for any program. Now maybe a title every 4/5 years, but you just can't expect a team to do it every year. Do you mean going into the year expectations ? Depending on team and other teams talent, that is not even realistic. Some years a Final 4 would be a great achievement, some years, championship, but not every year. You are setting yourself up for major disappointment and unfair criticism to the team doing that. No team in any sport will ever do that.
The NCAA tournament has been around 85 years this next tournament.

Even if you take UCLA's 11 into account, the most, that's a title every 7-8 years.

UK averages a title, spaced out, every 10-11 years historically. Expecting a title every 4-5 years would be too much, honestly.

Having a team good enough to have a shot at the title every 4 or 5 years is not to demanding. I was saying to expect it every year is not realistic. To me, making the Final 4 every 5 years is very realistic. it is hard to get there, much less win it.

We all have varying opinions on what is successful when it comes to our basketball team. Some place more emphasis on the regular season and some the tournament. I'm just curious, as a fan base, which option do we think is more successful?
Get by bellarmine or st Peter's in the 1st round of the ncaa would be a huge success unbelievable what that clown did to this story book program of ours
rider hog GIF

It’s the goal not the expectation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT