ADVERTISEMENT

What song or album that takes you back to your senior year of High School?

Creed Bratton

All-American
May 31, 2018
Lex Town
My middle daughter is graduating high school next week and I was thinking back to when I was a senior and how simpler life was then. It got me to thinking about cruising town with the windows down and music blaring and what kind of stuff I listened to. I actually liked a lot of music from George Strait to the Beach Boys to GNR but if there was 1 album that I probably listened to more than any my senior year it would have been Hysteria by Def Leppard. What about you guys? Is there any 1 album or song that when you hear it you go back to your high school days?

U2's Joshua Tree dropped a few months before graduation and got huge rotation on MTV and radio. So that comes to mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: -BBH- and Tskware
1961 Elvis Presley --- Blue Hawaii

s-l1600.jpg

High school class of 1977. I was obsessed with music and going to concerts. Back in the mid 70s there was an explosion of live albums from nearly every popular band. Those are the ones that tend to stand out most to me.

Two that I listened to most were Grand Funk “Caught In The Act”, and J Geils Band “Blow Your Face Out”. To a lesser extent Peter Frampton “Frampton Comes Alive”.

Of course there are dozens of other albums that take me back. The first two I ever bought (8-track tape) ZZ Top “Fandango” and Robin Trower “Bridge Of Sighs”. And albums that got tons of airtime on FM radio, like Boston’s first album, and Kansas “Leftoverture”.

I graduated in 2001. I was all about:

Incubus - Make Yourself
Rage Against the Machine - The Battle of Los Angeles
Dave Matthews Band - Before these Crowded Streets
And everything Nirvana, despite Kurt offing himself when I was in 5th grade

I graduated in 1994. Best selling album that year was Cracked Rear View by Hootie and the Blowfish. Also on the list was Dookie by Green Day and the Nirvana Unplugged Album was huge too.

Mine is pretty fitting...it came out at the start of my Senior year (August 1997)....Graduate by Third Eye Blind.

Other songs/artist take me back to that time, but everytime I hear Graduate it really does...

Reactions: WildcatFan1982
Lots of them. I played Kansas "Carry on Wayward Son" and did a following drum solo to win the school talent show my senior year. So I guess I'll go with that one for the hell of it.
That’s a great song. I never get tired of it. My kids do, but not me.

Reactions: IdaCat
1988 HS Graduate. Prince and Prince acts albums only. HOWEVER, nothing takes me back to that roller rink in the early 80’s and that beautiful brunette like Der Kommissar by After the Fire.

Reactions: Robcatt24
Talking Heads : Once in A Lifetime
Yaz : Don’t Go
Squeeze : Tempted

Jackson Browne- Running On Empty
Steely Dan- Aja

also a UK grad, 1982; college senior year, I know London Calling came out a year or two earlier, but we wore out Train in Vain by The Clash

Reactions: UK82
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT