ADVERTISEMENT

What is needed?

UkMccurdy

Blue Chip Prospect
Jan 21, 2021
Eastwood, Ky
So much of who gets a regional, or even better, a National Seed depends on others. What UK does matters but so does what other teams do as well.

Regardless of other teams, what must UK do to secure a regional or even a top 8 National Seed.

To host a regional I think UK needs to either win their series v Florida or win 1 and have some measure of success in Hoover… 1 or 2 wins.

I think if UK somehow wins this series and also makes the semis in Hoover then UK will be in great shape to be a National Seed.

I still believe 40 wins is the magic number for that… to secure it… but 38 or 39 wins with their rpi and sos may be enough.

I’m curious the thoughts of others…

What do you fellas think we have to do?

Last edited:
I think you're right on the button.

I think 1 win this weekend puts us on the cutline for hosting a regional. I know others who feel like we already have this locked up with 1 win but I don't want to leave it to chance. They would say that UF hosted last year with a 15-15 record, but we don't have the pedigree of Florida to get that kind of treatment, IMO.

If we Win two this weekend,, I think we're a lock to host a regional and in the discussion for a top 8 super host. Win two this weekend and win 1 or 2 in hoover and I think we're in great shape.

OP, I think you are pretty spot on.

But, Im going to go a different route. I think UK is a lock to host but unless a lot of dominos fall, I just dont see a path to a national seed.

My thoughts will not reflect the SEC Tourney.

~Lets say UK takes 2 of 3 from Florida this weekend. That puts UK at 17-13. Florida sets at 19-11.

~Arkansas takes 2 of 3 from Vandy. Arkansas ends up 21-9 and Vandy finishes 18-12. Keep in mind, Vandy has the series win over UK

~LSU takes the series at Georgia and finishes 19-11. This is the series to watch if I had to pick one. LSU is struggling right now.

So your standings are: 1) Arkansas 2) Florida 3) LSU 4) Vandy 5) Kentucky

The SEC has never gotten 5 national seeds since the tournament expanded in 1999. And I dont think that changes this year. I think UK will more than likely be the #9 seed at worst #10. Now, if Florida wins the series at Kentucky then a national seed is all but a dream unless UK makes the SEC championship. Im not sure a semifinal appearance changes that. But, I could see a scenario where the committee leaps UK over Vandy based on how Vandy has played the last two weeks. Throw in the Hoover equation and then it has the potential for pure chaos.

Reactions: UkMccurdy
OP, I think you are pretty spot on.

But, Im going to go a different route. I think UK is a lock to host but unless a lot of dominos fall, I just dont see a path to a national seed.

My thoughts will not reflect the SEC Tourney.

~Lets say UK takes 2 of 3 from Florida this weekend. That puts UK at 17-13. Florida sets at 19-11.

~Arkansas takes 2 of 3 from Vandy. Arkansas ends up 21-9 and Vandy finishes 18-12. Keep in mind, Vandy has the series win over UK

~LSU takes the series at Georgia and finishes 19-11. This is the series to watch if I had to pick one. LSU is struggling right now.

So your standings are: 1) Arkansas 2) Florida 3) LSU 4) Vandy 5) Kentucky

The SEC has never gotten 5 national seeds since the tournament expanded in 1999. And I dont think that changes this year. I think UK will more than likely be the #9 seed at worst #10. Now, if Florida wins the series at Kentucky then a national seed is all but a dream unless UK makes the SEC championship. Im not sure a semifinal appearance changes that. But, I could see a scenario where the committee leaps UK over Vandy based on how Vandy has played the last two weeks. Throw in the Hoover equation and then it has the potential for pure chaos.

I think you're on to something. It will be very tough for one league to get five of the top 8. I think Wake is a lock, and Stanford is close to a lock. Clemson and WVU have both been coming on very strong.

LSU is really struggling. If UGA wins that series and UK wins the series against UF, I think we could pass them.

If Vandy loses the Arky series at home, I can see UK passing them too.

If the #1 RPI team with #1 SOS and #7 non-conf SOS with at least a .500 record in the toughest conference in America, with 25 Top 100 RPI wins doesn't host, it's a crime.

One win locks up a hosting spot.

I think you're on to something. It will be very tough for one league to get five of the top 8. I think Wake is a lock, and Stanford is close to a lock. Clemson and WVU have both been coming on very strong.

LSU is really struggling. If UGA wins that series and UK wins the series against UF, I think we could pass them.

If Vandy loses the Arky series at home, I can see UK passing them too.

My best guess is 4 SEC teams get a national seed. I think Arkansas and Florida are locks for a national seed. Then itll come down to UK, Vandy and LSU. I lean towards LSU being close to a lock. And if it comes down to Vandy and UK being tied, does the committee look at the head to head series.

My best guess is 4 SEC teams get a national seed. I think Arkansas and Florida are locks for a national seed. Then itll come down to UK, Vandy and LSU. I lean towards LSU being close to a lock. And if it comes down to Vandy and UK being tied, does the committee look at the head to head series.
Yes, agreed. The good news for us is that all of these teams have tough weekends upcoming, so we can really help ourselves with a good showing against UF.

Reactions: Big_Blue_1018
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT