ADVERTISEMENT

What is DJ Wagner Doing?

No. I said I'd give him another shot.
I am starting to suspect that you are just being contrary.
You said you would give him another shot. I said he couldn't shoot. So, what is your point? I don't think he would be happy on the bench which is where he would be if he didn't greatly improve his game. DJ was a big part of the problem with the team last year. He was gifted minutes that he didn't earn which hurt the team.

You said you would give him another shot. I said he couldn't shoot. So, what is your point?
I also said he was just a little off on the lefty layup, and that he'd had a few good shooting games. So my point is that I think there's enough there to work with.

Reactions: MathUK
I also said he was just a little off on the lefty layup, and that he'd had a few good shooting games. So my point is that I think there's enough there to work with.
If the game was horseshoes, being a little off wouldn't be a total loss. However, in basketball being a little off is like being a mile off. You are entitled to your opinion; however, I think it is best for DJ and the team if he moves on.

If the game was horseshoes, being a little off wouldn't be a total loss. However, in basketball being a little off is like being a mile off. You are entitled to your opinion; however, I think it is best for DJ and the team if he moves on.
And I believe a little off is correctable with the right coaches.

I thought DJ would be one of the first transfers. The fact that he hasn't is interesting to me. Maybe we get him back? I wouldn't object.
Turn Around No GIF by Sesame Street

Reactions: NuttinButtLove
The goalposts are powered by Hemi.

They answered the exact question posed. The answer you are pounding the table for comes with a different or a least a much more precise question than you asked.

Yes, even outside shooting can improve. Jeremy Roach that we were after went from 31% to almost 43. Now Calipari didn't recruit him but then he wouldn't be the one helping him develop from here either.

I didn't see a shot broken beyond hope but your mileage may vary.
The problem with DJ's shot is that it's flat. It's a line drive. I think it's much easier to correct someone's aim than it is to change the release and follow through.

Last edited:
DJ simply can't shoot. As another poster stated, if he could shoot, he would be grabbed by an NBA team just. His pedigree alone would make him hard to pass on if they thought his shooting could be improved.
Well, I'm glad you aren't our coach. Thinking players can never improve shooting technique, especially from a freshman year, is pretty pathetic thinking.

Just a reminder for all the weirdos in this thread who would love to have this guy back: he isn't a great basketball player and is ranked the 124th best portal player. And for the dude that mentioned us not having a PG yet - if DJ were here we still wouldn't have one. That was a part of the problem - dude isn't a PG. But as a poor shooter, he's not a SG either. Hence, the NBA isn't interested.
Freshman.

• Haha
Reactions: NuttinButtLove
His grandfather was a player and won an NC, I'm not expecting him back, but would like it if he stayed.

Last edited:
With OAD ,we can the superiority in thinking when back in the day freshman were not allowed to play.

Sure there are exceptions but majority of freshman do silly mistakes and are not ready to play .

Wagner does not turn 19 until May 4. He got off to a slow start last season but was really turning it around until he got hurt. Further, the injury lingered and he lost confidence and was never close to 100% the rest of the year.

A year older with a fresh start and a new coaching staff that is serious about player development would do wonders for him.

Reactions: ftp000
He started to show a fairly good stroke toward the end of the season. I would love to see him come back for his sophomore year.

I think DJ would flourish in the right environment - one that requires he become a disciplined offensive player and not the stat stuffer Cal envisioned him to be.

But he is going to have to accept that 1. Cal didn't do him any favors last year 2. Unless he goes to a talent strapped team, he's going to have to share minutes and take a secondary role until he proves himself

Terence Jones did not improve. His overall play, numbers and projected draft position all declined a bit in year 2. Just because his second year team was better doesn’t mean that he was.
His BPM was higher in year 2 and his usage was lower. I definitely felt like he improved, and helped set the tone for that season from Big Blue Madness on.

Reactions: Ron Mehico and BBUK
I would welcome DJ back. Of course there is potential to improve his shot. Look at how often an average shooter becomes a great shooter in the NBA with coaching and repetitions.

If he came back, would love to see him improve his shoot and lean up and strength train for a little for more explosiveness/quickness

Reactions: Fox2monk
If you have a chance to get a really good shooter or instead take an average shooter, why would you take the average shooter? Unless we are in the business of feeling sorry for players and giving them a chance. You get the best fundamentally sound players you can. Whoever the 13 are.

DJ has always been private about his recruitment. If Cal is not actively attempting to get him to Arky, that would be a slap at Cal’s starting PG on a team built for March.

Reactions: Fox2monk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT