ADVERTISEMENT

What I have heard....

As a selfish move, I have a close friend who is an OC in D1, (or whatever the hell it's called now) who I want to be our OC. He's had ups and downs but because of who I know who he is and I honestly love the guy, I wish UK would hire him and he would stay here for the next 10 years with Stoops. At one point in time he was an OC in the SEC and was very successful. I have e-mailed Stoops to let him know he would be interested and we wouldn't have to put up with the stuff every year.
Of course, this is purely selfish reasons but I also think he would be successful. He also coached in the NFL for a year and there is a WR who became All-Pro and said he became All-Pro because of this coach.
Any way, Stoops now makes a shit ton of money to protect his job. He's going to do what he wants and I don't blame him.
His brother won a National Championship, did he ever make as much money as Mark? It's a crazy world, but God bless them all.

As a selfish move, I have a close friend who is an OC in D1, (or whatever the hell it's called now) who I want to be our OC. He's had ups and downs but because of who I know who he is and I honestly love the guy, I wish UK would hire him and he would stay here for the next 10 years with Stoops. At one point in time he was an OC in the SEC and was very successful. I have e-mailed Stoops to let him know he would be interested and we wouldn't have to put up with the stuff every year.
Of course, this is purely selfish reasons but I also think he would be successful. He also coached in the NFL for a year and there is a WR who became All-Pro and said he became All-Pro because of this coach.
Any way, Stoops now makes a shit ton of money to protect his job. He's going to do what he wants and I don't blame him.
His brother won a National Championship, did he ever make as much money as Mark? It's a crazy world, but God bless them all.
I have always heard nice things about Paul.

Sounds good to me. I don't think we are going to find anyone better for the job. And I bet he will stay a while this time. His next job will probably be a head coaching gig in a few years.

There's no guarantees with that. He will probably stay at least 2 seasons this time around but beyond that who knows. It is just a stepping stone job for him.

Sounds good to me. I don't think we are going to find anyone better for the job. And I bet he will stay a while this time. His next job will probably be a head coaching gig in a few years.
I honestly think Stoops retires early and he will retire at UK or maybe stays employed at UK but maybe in an administrative roll.
That said it would be awesome if LC came back had success and transitioned over to our HC.

I honestly think Stoops retires early and he will retire at UK or maybe stays employed at UK but maybe in an administrative roll.
That said it would be awesome if LC came back had success and transitioned over to our HC.
Bob Stoops retired early or at least left on his own early. Never quite understood that move. I know he had some NFL aspirations that never panned out. I always wondered why he wasn't ever at least listed for any high profile openings in the last few years. He's now coaching in the XFL of all places, probably for peanuts. I know he stayed close to the OU program after he left. He's at an age where he could still have a few good years left in him.

I've had the same thought. He might get elbow deep in the bourbon business

Reactions: Short-Dawg-69
I think if Coen comes back he will stay until he gets a HC job at a power 5 school or get to be an actual OC in the NFL. I think he come back he is is here 3-4 years if he is successful. I would be happy if that scenario plays out.
No info on Paul Petrino but I doubt any Petrino would ever get a whiff of a job here based on Bobby- probably not fair but it is what it is. No real opinion on that as I am sure Paul maybe a fine coach and human being. Just don’t ever see that happening here.

Reactions: Ky grandpa and K86
You want Barney to hire the next football coach? I don't
While Mitch has his issues....it is not good business to let the football coach hand pick successors crap. Brooks coach in waiting got us Joker and goofy situations

Organizations have roles and responsibilities for a reason....when you start doing these good old boy decisions you get into bad situations more than just letting the AD do his job and picking the best person for the job.

I don’t think most posters are saying he would pick the next coach automatically but the scenario laid out by the poster who brought it up was that Stoops would retire and then stay around the program much like Bob did at Oklahoma. Bob essentially picked Riley. And it worked out fine till Riley bolted for sunny USC.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
He hired Stoops. That is the job of the AD, whoever that is when Stoops retires. Why would you want your ex football coach hiring the next one?
I don't know if others have thought about this - but it has been in the back of my mind - that Mark Stoops might have another position at UK soon.................. I know this is old school thinking - but it sure worked for many other schools in the past............ How about Mark Stoops to become UK's Athletic Director? I think it would be the best thing he could do for UK football!

Go Big Blue!

Last edited:
I don't know if others have thought about this - but it has been in the back of my mine - that Mark Stoops might have another position at UK soon.................. I know this is old school thinking - but it sure worked for many other schools in the past............ How about Mark Stoops to become UK's Athletic Director? I think it would be the best thing he could do for UK football!

Go Big Blue!
Cal's head would explode, so I love the idea.

Actually he had a huge committee that included Tim Couch to hire Stoops, he didn't do it himself.
Semantics. It was ultimately the AD's decision as it always is. Having a committee to provide input doesn't change that. He would probably approach the position in much the same way if he is forced to hire another football coach.

I don't know if others have thought about this - but it has been in the back of my mine - that Mark Stoops might have another position at UK soon.................. I know this is old school thinking - but it sure worked for many other schools in the past............ How about Mark Stoops to become UK's Athletic Director? I think it would be the best thing he could do for UK football!

Go Big Blue!
I could actually see Stoops as an AD. Whether he sees himself as an AD is a whole other question.

Go Big Blue!
won't happen

Reactions: yoshukai
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT