ADVERTISEMENT

What I don’t understand

BLEEDBLUE444

Senior
Mar 6, 2012
Goodness gracious it’s been a while! I haven’t posted in years, still a loyal cat fan as ever and never miss a game but I’ve taken a little break from the forum! Hope everyone is doing well and staying strong! I haven’t even been lurking but I got the urge to Jump on tonight!

I am SURE this has been discussed already but like I said I haven’t been here in years.

Now to the basketball related stuff. I don’t understand how in modern basketball we can expect to shoot the amount of 3’s we do and keep up with teams.

We got outscored by 30 points from 3 tonight! They almost hit more three pointers than we attempted! We have to recruit some shooters or let our existing players feel more free to shoot the ball. This current snail style won’t serve us well come March in a tourney format, and most years our defense is good enough to get away with it but not this season I am afraid...

Anyway; what are your thoughts on us shooting more 3’s and playing a little faster?

I agree. I’m not one of the people that want us to jack up 25-30 threes every game, but we’ve got to make a lot more than we have so far this season. It’s just too hard to beat teams if you can’t make any threes today, especially if they make ten or more. It puts too much stress on the team if they’re getting out scored by a lot from the perimeter.

I would also like to see us press a lot, but not until we get all of our injured players back. Right now we’re too thin to press much. With our length and athleticism, I would think speeding up the game and getting some easy baskets off a press would help our stagnant offense.

Not having IQ tonight definitely lead to some of this. Maxey and Hagans had to be out there come hell or high water. They definitely had to have some tired legs out there at some points.

Reactions: SophiesDad
Every Final 4 or better team we've had under Coach Cal had threats from the 3..some of those threats were more threats than others but 2011 had Brandon Knight, Doron Lamb, and Darius Miller. 2012 had Doron Lamb and Darius Miller..Teague and Wiltjer could hit some too. In 2014, we had Aaron Harrison, James Young, and Andrew Harrison could hit em sometimes as well. In 2015, we had Aaron Harrison, Devin Booker, Tyler Ulis, and sometimes Andrew Harrison. We were a John Higgins screw job away from making a Final 4 with Malik Monk. Gotta have shooters or GOOD shooters I should say.

Who on earth thought this would be a good shooting team

Seems like every preseason people are talking about how we should finally have a good shooting team. Then it seems that those shooters we thought we would have never come to fruition.

I would also like to see us press a lot, but not until we get all of our injured players back. Right now we’re too thin to press much. With our length and athleticism, I would think speeding up the game and getting some easy baskets off a press would help our stagnant offense.
Press when we get healthy is a good Idea actually! Maybe that could finally get us some energy going and translate that to other facets of the game and help us get into a groove with some easier baskets

Reactions: BourbonBalz
Goodness gracious it’s been a while! I haven’t posted in years, still a loyal cat fan as ever and never miss a game but I’ve taken a little break from the forum! Hope everyone is doing well and staying strong! I haven’t even been lurking but I got the urge to Jump on tonight!

I am SURE this has been discussed already but like I said I haven’t been here in years.

Now to the basketball related stuff. I don’t understand how in modern basketball we can expect to shoot the amount of 3’s we do and keep up with teams.

We got outscored by 30 points from 3 tonight! They almost hit more three pointers than we attempted! We have to recruit some shooters or let our existing players feel more free to shoot the ball. This current snail style won’t serve us well come March in a tourney format, and most years our defense is good enough to get away with it but not this season I am afraid...

Anyway; what are your thoughts on us shooting more 3’s and playing a little faster?

You really need to meet the poster Nail In The Head or something like that. He advocates shooting irresponsible numbers of threes.

To answer your question: 8%

You really need to meet the poster Nail In The Head or something like that. He advocates shooting irresponsible numbers of threes.

To answer your question: 8%
I don’t want to go crazy, but attempting as many as the other team makes is not gonna cut it against teams better than UVU

Also another thought is with our size and athleticism, surely we will get some offensive rebounds off of 3’s...Our opponents sure seem to get them off 3’s

Quickley won the McDonald’s 3pt contest and Juzang was considered the best shooter in the country lol. Sestina is also a very good three point shooter. Just is truly amazing they can’t hit em in games.

I’m more worried about the volume than the % to be honest. I think if we shoot more we make more.
I don’t want to shoot them just to shoot them. Sure the more you shoot them the more you’ll make, but it’s about efficiency. If we shoot 12 more and only make 2 more, that isn’t going to work. It’ll be essentially like more turnovers unless your offensive rebounding off of them goes up a lot.

I’m trying to stay relaxed as well, but I’m alarmed at the pace and amount of 3’s we do not take... I think we need to open it up a little bit at some point
I don’t want to go crazy, but attempting as many as the other team makes is not gonna cut it against teams better than UVU

At 8%? We were shooting at a 40% clip from 2. Shooting under 23% from three, we shouldn’t have taken any except for diversion. Tactically Cal had it almost perfect except for taking too many. If we’re shooting 30 - 35%, I think you’ll see a somewhat different mix.

We need to play up tempo. We don’t have a half court team. Doesn’t seem like it’s going to change though

Have faith, brother.

The team is like a man standing alone on an elevator thinking about what frozen dinner he's going to eat by himself when he gets home. The next thing he knows, in walks Christina Hendricks and she's got a turkey pot pie in one hand and nothing by an open outstretched palm in the other.

This team just needs to take that sweet sweet goddess by the hand and let her lead them to the promised land.

Can I get AMEN?!?!

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: JwUKFan11
Just a comment on playing faster. I like fast play. Yippee yippee, its fun. Ok, that's out of the way.

You simply will NOT win the NCAA tournament unless you can grind out win. It will NOT happen. Given that, when is the best time to learn to grind out a win? Now or in early April.

We need to play up tempo. We don’t have a half court team. Doesn’t seem like it’s going to change though

This team hasn't proven that they have the discipline and desire to play up tempo. Offensively they have not shown that they can play under control while playing fast. Defensively they have struggled getting back in transition and have given up a lot of easy baskets by simply not hustling back and stopping the ball.

Good perimeter shooting is a by product of a rhythmic offense of which we do not have.

Good perimeter shooting is a by product of a rhythmic offense of which we do not have.
It's so simple to see but people make up every other excuse in the book. We simply run bad offense. We get bad looks miss contested 3s, miss contested shots in the lane.

It's so simple to see but people make up every other excuse in the book. We simply run bad offense. We get bad looks miss contested 3s, miss contested shots in the lane.

Not saying you're wrong, but we also miss the wide open threes...

It's unbelievable to me that nobody has corrected Maxey's form in all his years of playing basketball. He pushes it up from his chest like a middle school girl.

Not saying you're wrong, but we also miss the wide open threes...

Just because someone is wide open doesn’t mean their shot is still be taken in rhythm. A player has to catch the ball and ready to shoot. Crisp ball movement, players in motion and screens generally make an offense more rhythmic. We don’t do much of that. It’s drive and create. A lot of times when a player is wide open he is catching the ball flat footed not ready to shoot, not all times but no one is going to hit them all regardless. We simply do not run an offensive that is conducive to perimeter shooting.

Takes even our best shooters awhile to adjust in how to go about getting into the flow of our offense and find their own rhythm within the confines of what we run.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT