ADVERTISEMENT

What about this.....

morgousky

All-American
Sep 5, 2009
Just brainstorming.

Maybe cal should just release these guys to play AAU ball and let'm go. Just tell them to go out and play.

I know what you're thinking. "isn't that what were doing?" But seriously, should he just cut them lose and let them play their way? You never know, they might dominate or something.

Sometimes it's just not a tamable team and you've gotta roll in the deep.

Cal sure has to coach hard during games, wonder what it's like in practice. Whatever it is the players are not getting it, I bet we haven't taken 10 charges this year, if we could get past the little league mistakes we might be a good team.

Reactions: LNAllison
Well we’re losing now, so it wouldn’t hurt.

Why not?!?

That's what I'm saying.

This team obviously is not a fan of team ball. Just look at'm.

Maybe the thing to do is give it up. Let them win or die on their own and tell them to play with 100% and just ball. Let them roll in the deep.

Reactions: BigBlueCatNation
I'd like to see us try playing Knox some at the 4. That allows us to put more skill on the court which would alleviate some of our half court offense woes. In a game like today, that would have helped defensively as well since a number of Texas A&M's transition dunks came from poor half court offense execution.

Just brainstorming.

Maybe cal should just release these guys to play AAU ball and let'm go. Just tell them to go out and play.

I know what you're thinking. "isn't that what were doing?" But seriously, should he just cut them lose and let them play their way? You never know, they might dominate or something.

Umm that’s what we’re doing now. Except we’re trying to do it against good teams that know how to play defense. That’s why we NEVER get our guys in position to make an easy play. Just like AAU we don’t play defense either.

Just brainstorming.

Is it too late to install the true DDMO? No plays, just drive kick, drive kick, until you had a layup or wide open 3. Richards would be perfect for the weakside tip dunk.

the best validation for Cal, and what should motivate him moreso than anything in his career - is to take this team further in the tournament than Duke.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Just brainstorming.

Naw.

Sit them on the bench. Let them serve as the road team in practice. Put “highlights” of the game on USB and advise them you intend to send to every NBA GM at seasons end.

If they are anticipating a payday in the NBA, pushing them on the AAU is playing into their hands. Promise to take away the payday.

Frankly, i’m Not sure the problem is what people think. Tonight got me second guessing myself though.

I think that's been the problem. They've already been doing it, and it obviously isn't working. They aren't following any coaching. If Cal says, "Just do your own thing", we wouldn't notice any difference at all.

Is it too late to install the true DDMO? No plays, just drive kick, drive kick, until you had a layup or wide open 3. Richards would be perfect for the weakside tip dunk.

Something like that. Problem is, will they do it?

Cal just needs to look at Alexander and tell him to figure out what everyone wants to do and sit down.

I thought you meant let them go, as in release them and find new players on the waiver wire.

I was in.

(I'm kidding. I don't really hate the kids.)

on the waiver wire:joy:

Don't laugh its coming....

Nah just let them go, on the court. Just tell them to play the way they can win and go. I'd just roll in the deep and see what happens.

Reactions: MegaBlue05
Something like that. Problem is, will they do it?

Cal just needs to look at Alexander and tell him to figure out what everyone wants to do and sit down.

Ok - we got the offense down, how are we going to stop the layup line on defense :)

Ok - we got the offense down, how are we going to stop the layup line on defense :)

AP_17316834278573_t600x419.jpg

Cal sure has to coach hard during games, wonder what it's like in practice. Whatever it is the players are not getting it, I bet we haven't taken 10 charges this year, if we could get past the little league mistakes we might be a good team.
Our players are mostly pussies. They really are. Never take charges, rarely mix it up.
Knox doesn’t even try on defense. If he is trying, that’s even more of a problem.
This is the most I don’t give a shit UK team I can remember.

I'd like to see us try playing Knox some at the 4. That allows us to put more skill on the court which would alleviate some of our half court offense woes. In a game like today, that would have helped defensively as well since a number of Texas A&M's transition dunks came from poor half court offense execution.
Then who plays the 3? There isn't an option.

Diallo isn't the "skill" you're looking for. Neither is JV.

you are right about that. I saw several plays guys driving down the lane Knox almost ran to get out of their way instead of taking a charge. Guess he figured I am not taking a charge might get hurt and I am out of here in a couple of months

I kjnow one thing we've both been saying Knox needs to play the 4. Give us some good matchups and allow him to work inside more. If he's not going to drive it there's no point in him not being there.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Screw all of this talk about the season.
When is our pro day for NBA scouts to come in and drool over all this POTENTIAL?
Has it been scheduled? I'm ready for the draft which could potentially be the greatest day in the history of our storied program.

Naw.

Sit them on the bench. Let them serve as the road team in practice. Put “highlights” of the game on USB and advise them you intend to send to every NBA GM at seasons end.

If they are anticipating a payday in the NBA, pushing them on the AAU is playing into their hands. Promise to take away the payday.

Frankly, i’m Not sure the problem is what people think. Tonight got me second guessing myself though.
what you thinking now?

Just brainstorming.

Agree,we should press and force tempo from the tip to the buzzer.The last 10 minutes of this game was the most entertaining and best basketball we have played all year.

Auburn will force us to play that way and we have a chance to win because of it.We have to play at a pace that doesn't allow us to think because we can't,that is the only way this team can give itself a chance to win.

Then who plays the 3? There isn't an option.

Diallo isn't the "skill" you're looking for. Neither is JV.

Why can't he be a tertiary ball handler and a hustler and slasher from the wing? He doesn't have to stretch the floor from the 3 if he plays with SGA, Green, and Knox. Plus, Knox as a faceup 4 pulls bigs from the rim, increasing room for penetration.

I kjnow one thing we've both been saying Knox needs to play the 4. Give us some good matchups and allow him to work inside more. If he's not going to drive it there's no point in him not being there.

Knox may also become a better driver from the 4 since he'd be matched up with a bigger, slower defender.

Plus, we wouldn't really be losing any size playing Knox at the 4. A lineup with heights of 6'0'', 6'6'', 6'5'', 6'8'', and 6'11'' is actually pretty big at the college level. Unless rebounding is anathema to Knox, I don't understand why we haven't given this a try.

The next backdoor layup I see will be the first from a Cal-coached UK team in years. We simply don't run anything resembling a play to actually get someone open. Cal runs "action" for supposedly ultra-talented players to create their own shots.
Truth is Cal must change his approach. Can't win in the SEC with just bringing in a bunch of athletes. Gotta have actual basketball players now.

Well, we certainly played some AAU defense last night in the 2nd half...just waltz down the floor in transition, matador defense, no weakside help. Maybe we just go small most of the time. Green, SGA, Diallo at the 3, Knox at the 4, and Vanderbilt in the post. That may be our best offensive lineup. Spread the floor and drive at em' all night long.

Reactions: ManitouDan
Why can't he be a tertiary ball handler and a hustler and slasher from the wing? He doesn't have to stretch the floor from the 3 if he plays with SGA, Green, and Knox. Plus, Knox as a faceup 4 pulls bigs from the rim, increasing room for penetration.
We're on the same page, and i agree in theory. Problem is: Diallo just isn't mature enough to play that role effectively.

Well, try something different, what Cal is trying to do now, is not working. Can't do any worse, we are losing games now.

The next backdoor layup I see will be the first from a Cal-coached UK team in years. We simply don't run anything resembling a play to actually get someone open. Cal runs "action" for supposedly ultra-talented players to create their own shots.
Truth is Cal must change his approach. Can't win in the SEC with just bringing in a bunch of athletes. Gotta have actual basketball players now.

Bingo ! and with teams heavily scouting your every move you can tell the other team smarty overplays the crap out of us out on the perimeter ... they know we won't go backdoor !! Freaking elementary school offense would be an upgrade .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT