ADVERTISEMENT

Wetzel article on Duke/Zion

In house combines, every NBA team shows up at UK sometime or the other during the season, Cal preaches players first, position-less basketball, (I know I missed things UK does for the players well beyond the players just playing basketball.) everything to assist the player and UK reaps the benefits too... Yeah I can see how that promotes needing to cheat as well...

Well, my suspicion is that first team with Wall, Cousins, Bledsoe, etc., could have had some things going on that we really don’t want to know about. My guess is everything since then has been above board.
Possibly. The dumb Chicago Sun-Times article saying Anthony Davis Sr was looking for $200K may seem less ridiculous today. It's not always the kids looking for the handouts, it's the stupid hangers-on that try and peddle their influence for a price. There was a ton of smoke around Nerlens Noel, but the shady parts of his inner circle was pushing him toward Syracuse.

I want to believe that UK does it the right way. But I am also not naive to think we haven't had players take impermissible inducements. The strongest evidence that we have been mostly clean is how often our top targets seem to lose interest and sign elsewhere after having spent the entire recruiting process leaning to UK. We still get quality players, so you can't completely rule out foul play, but our struggles to land top-5 players over the past 4 recruiting cycles has been head scratcher.

Oh, he did recruit him.....until it was time not to. (There is a difference.) No, is not a bad word.

I'm not sure that Cal ever stopped recruiting Zion, he may have though. The thing with Cal is that he is obviously going recruit a kid like Zion but hes not going to offer anything. Hes going to say what he offers in terms of coaching and that's it. They can take it or take an offer somewhere else. It's their decision.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
I'm not sure that Cal ever stopped recruiting Zion, he may have though. The thing with Cal is that he is obviously going recruit a kid like Zion but hes not going to offer anything. Hes going to say what he offers in terms of coaching and that's it. They can take it or take an offer somewhere else. It's their decision.

Do we have to start this again...:eek:

@silentsaregolden2.0

People may want to wait before being so judgmental. You’d have to really be naive to see what was happening in college basketball and definitively state that the likes of John Wall didn’t come with a price.
John Wall already spoke on this matter. He was offered but didn’t participate. He said Cal recruited him the right way. He knew he’d be a millionaire in only a few months.

John Wall already spoke on this matter. He was offered but didn’t participate. He said Cal recruited him the right way. He knew he’d be a millionaire in only a few months.

These morons will say anything at this point. That class was a result of Cal taking Memphis to three straight Elite-8’s, and a title game. That just doesn’t happen at Memphis, and probably won’t ever happen again.

How DARE you state common sense. J Wall is always styling and profiling. He has his bling and no one will take it from him. That Ole Cal is an enabler...for the duration...

Reactions: CatfanMike47
These morons will say anything at this point. That class was a result of Cal taking Memphis to three straight Elite-8’s, and a title game. That just doesn’t happen at Memphis, and probably won’t ever happen again.

I hope it doesn't.

This is what's probably going to happen with the Zion case. It's going to be stretched out for a couple years until the NCAA says players can be payed. Then Duke skates.
Then again the media will say K was way ahead of his time.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
As usual Cal dodged another bullet. It's like a superpower.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Mr_GG
People may want to wait before being so judgmental. You’d have to really be naive to see what was happening in college basketball and definitively state that the likes of John Wall didn’t come with a price.
Wall said himself in a interview while in the NBA, "I had been poor my whole life, what was 10 more months going to hurt." People want to drag Cal into this BS, but the truth of the matter is, about 5 years ago things starting getting strange. We had been killing KU, Duke, etc. in recruiting, then magically we started losing top 5 guys, KY leans, couldn't sniff a top 5 guy.

If it was only money I'm sure we could afford to outbid some schools sometimes. Or is it that others felt the pressure of Cal and his recruiting and decided enough was enough, $$$$.

Quit bringing Ky and Cal into the mud with these others, look at Cals accusations. I mean Rose, I would hate to see all the top kids in basketball or football really tested. So would the NCAA, hell UNCheat did more and threw millions at it to go away. Cal hasn't to my knowledge every been linked to anything with money and getting kids to his school.

I have always wondered about something when you hear about parents of recruits provided employment. I would think that existing employees of that company/business would be extremely upset about someone being handed a job in this manner and would lash out. I'm surprised it hasn't been brought to light more in these situations.
It is documented that grievances were filed on Glaxo Pharmaceutical when Chris Duhons mother ( a house cleaner by trade) was given a position in which there were qualified employees in line for the job . By the way , I don't even know if Capel was born at that time, so let's not act like this was just some rogue assistant.

NCAA and EMMERT HAVE NO BALLS.

Correct. Emmert won't do anything about this.

Yyyyep. He shat on Puke's and K's bed and ran off to Pittsburgh.

I wouldn't be surprised if Krzyzewski got Capel out of dodge to save both of them. Pittsburgh became a total disaster in two years under Kevin Stallings. Capel turned down the Georgia Tech and Arizona State jobs but took the Pitt job? Something isn't kosher there.

Yay,

I may have been a little harsh in how I stated it to you but what I bolded is calling Cal a liar. Cal has stated many times that he does not need to do that as he gets players to the NBA and he also changes entire families lives for generations.

Sorry, you cannot change families lives for generations and cheat to get it done, you cannot.

Word's mean things. No, you did not call Cal a liar but you stated he is doing things he states he is not doing. What is that called?
My current position is that we dont do things like this to get players. Having said that i think all coaches would be best suited to currently deny having any involvement in those sort of shenanigahns. I cant say for 100% certain that behind closed doors nothing sketchy has ever happened. Im not behind the scenes to know whether or not anything has ever occurred her. Because of this, i believe what Cal says when he says we dont do anything sketchy... but ill hold that mindset knowing that i personally cant say for absolutely sure that nothing had ever happened. I can trust a guy but still hold reservations from time to time, especially when his peers are involved. The corruption is so widespread i feel i wouldnt be surprised with anything

This stuff isn't new to Capel coaching at Duke. I used to work at a major Pharma company in Durham county, and our CEO was a huge Duke booster. Lets just say, we had a parent of a Duke player working in for my company (same building as me, 1 floor up) for 4 years. I'm not saying she wasn't qualified. But it seems more than a coincidence.

Theres nothing to see here just a bunch of inuendo. We all know duke isnt clean they found duhons mother a job making a 100k a year. I didn’t read one thing that would lead me to believe that duke paid anything for zion. Now Kansas on the other hand should be in deep doo doo but this zion stuff serves as a distraction from a program that is filthy at KU and even Arizona where their cheating coach continues to coach. If KU and Arizona aren’t going to be dealt with well duke is way off in the distance. Like I’ve said the NCAA is a sham in its duties and it will probably have to go to congressional hearing to rein in college basketball.

Theres nothing to see here just a bunch of inuendo. We all know duke isnt clean they found duhons mother a job making a 100k a year. I didn’t read one thing that would lead me to believe that duke paid anything for zion. Now Kansas on the other hand should be in deep doo doo but this zion stuff serves as a distraction from a program that is filthy at KU and even Arizona where their cheating coach continues to coach. If KU and Arizona aren’t going to be dealt with well duke is way off in the distance. Like I’ve said the NCAA is a sham in its duties and it will probably have to go to congressional hearing to rein in college basketball.

You didn't see anything to indicate Duke might have paid Zion?

Kansas was offering the house and he decided to go to Duke, a program who's notorious for NOT having players like Zion, who's got 2 other players at his same position. Then there's smoke everywhere that Zion was on the take.

I'd actually bet substantial money that Capel and Duke were dirty. It's pretty obvious.

You didn't see anything to indicate Duke might have paid Zion?

Kansas was offering the house and he decided to go to Duke, a program who's notorious for NOT having players like Zion, who's got 2 other players at his same position. Then there's smoke everywhere that Zion was on the take.

I'd actually bet substantial money that Capel and Duke were dirty. It's pretty obvious.

Nothing to implicate duke. I see his stepdad asking for money and housing from KU but duke is so close to zion hometown maybe they didn’t ask for those things. For me to get my hopes up I have to see where someone from duke actually is on record making offers. Ratface came out in front of this the other day saying it’s legit to find families jobs etc. Idk how true that statement is. Kansas on the other hand has the sky falling on it but I have no hope in the ncaa to get the job done. I mean it’s a year later and Arizona played in the ncaa tournament and sean Miller still has a job:

Nothing to implicate duke. I see his stepdad asking for money and housing from KU but duke is so close to zion hometown maybe they didn’t ask for those things. For me to get my hopes up I have to see where someone from duke actually is on record making offers. Ratface came out in front of this the other day saying it’s legit to find families jobs etc. Idk how true that statement is. Kansas on the other hand has the sky falling on it but I have no hope in the ncaa to get the job done. I mean it’s a year later and Arizona played in the ncaa tournament and sean Miller still has a job:

I completely agree with this. Well said.

Look at the facts. All this stuff started after Cal started dominating. It's everyone else trying to compete. They couldn't compete on even ground. So they had to cheat.

An unmentioned travesty is that we'd have at least a couple more championships had shoe companies not stolen recruits from cal

I mean, you’re stating the argument that Duke will make to avoid any direct punishment. But does soliciting impermissible benefits make you ineligible? I believe so. Does it matter if it’s your immediate family member or you? I believe it doesn’t, after the rule changes following Cam Newton. Is hearsay permissible? Yes, the NCAA uses that or less frequently for such administrative punishments.

Does that mean that the NCAA should declare Zion ineligible and vacate any games he plays in? As I understand it, yes. If anyone has any solid NCAA rules to contradict the above, feel free. Will they do so? Fat chance.

I mean, you’re stating the argument that Duke will make to avoid any direct punishment. But does soliciting impermissible benefits make you ineligible? I believe so. Does it matter if it’s your immediate family member or you? I believe it doesn’t, after the rule changes following Cam Newton. Is hearsay permissible? Yes, the NCAA uses that or less frequently for such administrative punishments.

Does that mean that the NCAA should declare Zion ineligible and vacate any games he plays in? As I understand it, yes. If anyone has any solid NCAA rules to contradict the above, feel free. Will they do so? Fat chance.

Idk is there more than heresay on this? Is there audio of his people asking for money? My feeling is that the ncaa isn’t going to do squat. I mean they didn’t rule ayton ineligible last year. I haven’t heard anything on de Souza. The ncaa picks and chooses when to show its teeth and as long as sean Miller still has a job and now self what are we grasping at? The ncaa is weak and corrupt. Like I said in 10 years when college basketball ceases to exist in its current format we will all look back at the uncheat scandal as the straw that broke the camels back.

Is there enough there to launch an NCAA investigation into Zion? Before 1988...probably...
Today...no way will that happen.

My 2 cents worth on Zion.....

Cal recruited him until the very end. He also refused to provide any impermissible benefits while telling him there was a scholarship at UK waiting for him if he wanted to do it the right way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr_GG
Are you bi-polar? You liked this very post. And what about that post makes me a jerk? Or am I completely tone-deaf to your sarcasm? I am about to give up trying to understand.
He was just messing with you silents. Everyone here knows you and respect you for the most part, except the noobs that don’t see 10k posts next to your name

Reactions: BBUK
Even if the NCAA connected all the dots, they all ready precident with Cory Magette. He admitted he took money and all the NCAA said was, well Duke didn't know so it's ok. No vacated games or banner coming down even though they played an inelligble player,

Reactions: sambowieshin
Are you bi-polar? You liked this very post. And what about that post makes me a jerk? Or am I completely tone-deaf to your sarcasm? I am about to give up trying to understand.

You are completely tone deaf to my sarcasm. I don't know you personally. How could I state something seriously about you. Check my last few posts maybe it will enlighten you. In the interim I will only post seriously toward you henceforth. No need wasting some good stuff on those who are not appreciative. Plenty others don't mind me jerking their chain(s). Be Good (I called a couple others jerks in this thread. (Oops, you're the only one I called a jerk in this thread. My bad. I will handle that quick fast and in a hurry. I will "rat" (That's for you coach K.) myself out in a hurry.) Be Good again...

HEY, Uncle Jed....................you're a JERK!

@jedwar

Sir...

Reactions: jedwar
Wetzel needs to go all in on this since he seems to be the only willing to address it. Vitale, and that lot will act like nothing happened. I am not listening to anything he or the rest say until the truth is out.

You are completely tone deaf to my sarcasm. I don't know you personally. How could I state something seriously about you. Check my last few posts maybe it will enlighten you. In the interim I will only post seriously toward you henceforth. No need wasting some good stuff on those who are not appreciative. Plenty others don't mind me jerking their chain(s). Be Good (I called a couple others jerks in this thread. (Oops, you're the only one I called a jerk in this thread. My bad. I will handle that quick fast and in a hurry. I will "rat" (That's for you coach K.) myself out in a hurry.) Be Good again...

HEY, Uncle Jed....................you're a JERK!

@jedwar

Sir...

Sir Jerk to you.

Reactions: BBUK
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT