ADVERTISEMENT

Wenyen Gabriel at it again

He clearly does not like Cal and did not like his time at UK. That's OK, every coach has some players who dislike him and not every player is gonna like it here.

But I don't understand why Wenyen feels this need to periodically remind us once every few months. Let. It. Go. I could understand it better if his story had an unhappy ending, but instead it had a a happy one, he DID end up making the NBA. Albeit not the way he wanted, he had to work his way up in the G-League for a couple years instead of taking the direct route, but he STILL eventually made it.

Not sure why he can't just enjoy that success without repeatedly reminding us of his bitterness over past issues.
You must not be divorced... there is a lot of calm, then money issues/boredom BOOM back with the bitterness.

Who decided to leave after 1 year? lol i can’t if he truly wanted to be a high pick he would’ve stayed and developed a handle and some post moves but he didn’t and jumped ship (presumably to get away from cal) and now he’s mad at cal for not making him a lottery pick??? GTFO

I dislike him more than Orton at this point
Dragon or WG (with wang that drags) or Orten.
What a crew?
IMO...The only player (and he is one of my favorites) that didn’t develop like he should/could have was Poythress.
And I think part of Poys issues were grades... didn’t he have like a real 4.0.?

What a crew?
IMO...The only player (and he is one of my favorites) that didn’t develop like he should/could have was Poythress.
Poythress wasn’t the same after his knee injury sadly. Loved him here though.

What a crew?

Yeah Poythress was one of the few that actually seemed genuinely invested in the classroom.

Obviously the injury played a role. He was one of the best defenders in the country before he went down. Arguably even better than Willie. Willie was maybe more versatile but going back to the 2014 tourney Poythress had been nearly impossible for people to score on.

I think we misused him from the get go. Cal tried to play him at small forward and he had zero ball skills. Teams figured that out quick.

I liked Poythress too though. Stayed 4 years. Was a great teammate. Played hard. Didn’t just give up at the first(or 2nd or 3rd or 4th) sign of things not going his way.

I like and appreciate Poythress more and more every year. I feel like we had 4 guys on this past years team alone that in one way or another gave up.

Low key one of Cal’s best coaching jobs given the over all mental make up of the team.

Hey WG, sorry a coach pushed you. Suck it up, buttercup. Your time at UK was what you made of it. Kentucky really isn't for everyone. It's for guys that are honest with themselves and don't want cupcakes, but want to trust a coach to get them better and get them ready for the NBA. You found the door. 'Bout over your crybaby BS.
Cal's record speaks for itself. Comes off as sour grapes. Don't blame Cal for putting him on ignore. I will do the same.

1. Wenyen was billed as a wingman .....but had zilcho perimeter skills. No handles, not an above average shooter, low b-ball IQ and not elite foot quickness for a wing. Also, Wenyen has zero post moves but a pretty good motor and length for a PF
2. So Cal converts him a stretch 4...where he can be a plus defender and rebounder along with getting his 3pt shot up to 39%....but he only scored 6 pts a game and 5 boards in his Sophmore year
3. He was set to come back for his Jr year and be a focus player on team with PJ Washington....but he declares for NBA and now he's going to be back of bench dude and pretty soon, he won't be on a bench and off the overseas is where he'll go.

Guys who argue Cal didn't set them up correctly....Wenyen had no low post game and no handles, no decision maker with the ball at any level of b-ball. All he could be a UK was a pick and pop player. What else is anyone that watched him for 60 games missing?

Who decided to leave after 1 year? lol i can’t if he truly wanted to be a high pick he would’ve stayed and developed a handle and some post moves but he didn’t and jumped ship (presumably to get away from cal) and now he’s mad at cal for not making him a lottery pick??? GTFO
He didn’t leave after one year but either way if he stayed for his junior or senior year he wouldn’t have been a lottery pick.

uk fans cant help themselves. this is red meat to them unfortunately. they HATE that he is looking for attention all the while tweeting him and messaging him on instagram questions that rehashes all this crap.

its sports...not everything works out all the time. most love cal, some dont. it happens. no one cares what wenyen thinks, he didnt cost us anything and wont.

move on....the only ones make this live on is uk fans.

Haha it’s getting a tad bit harder to carry your schtick around for this one. Those carpet burns are gonna go deep this time.

“No one cares what Wenyen thinks”.

Rich coming from you.

Good for Wenyen. Speak your mind. If grown adults get mad over that, who cares.
Look it’s Mr. Self righteous Lord Virtue of High Horse here to tell us that Wenyen is brave to tell us how he really feels about blasting off at people that have nothing to do with his inability to play high level basketball.

Cal black balled his ass. GOOD.

I wish he could do the same to you.

Yeah Poythress was one of the few that actually seemed genuinely invested in the classroom.

Obviously the injury played a role. He was one of the best defenders in the country before he went down. Arguably even better than Willie. Willie was maybe more versatile but going back to the 2014 tourney Poythress had been nearly impossible for people to score on.

I think we misused him from the get go. Cal tried to play him at small forward and he had zero ball skills. Teams figured that out quick.

I liked Poythress too though. Stayed 4 years. Was a great teammate. Played hard. Didn’t just give up at the first(or 2nd or 3rd or 4th) sign of things not going his way.

I like and appreciate Poythress more and more every year. I feel like we had 4 guys on this past years team alone that in one way or another gave up.

Low key one of Cal’s best coaching jobs given the over all mental make up of the team.
Poythress is one of my favorites of Cal's time, here. And not for anything on the court. He is an exceptional young man.

Gabriel screwed himself with his nonsense. He won't have a lengthy career, he just isn't that good. If he'd spent his time here, gotten to know the state of Kentucky, he'd be set after playing. This state is good to former players. Ask Kenny Walker and Rex Chapman. And we don't even like Rex, mostly. Gabriel blew it. When Cal turns away from a kid, you know he messed up.

This guy has got to be a Spamburgerburger burner account. Can't be two guys like that on one site. Just can't be.
Never thought of that but Jamal is much more spicy than spam...
Spam is also “righteous”.
Jamal will always take the opposite side of any argument against the majority. And picks his thread topics to disagree with... if this was the same topic but Jon hood... no sunburn

Look it’s Mr. Self righteous Lord Virtue of High Horse here to tell us that Wenyen is brave to tell us how he really feels about blasting off at people that have nothing to do with his inability to play high level basketball.

Cal black balled his ass. GOOD.

I wish he could do the same to you.

High level? Wenyen plays in the NBA.

You want Cal to blackball me? Lol... next are you gonna tell me that you “eat pieces of $hit like me for breakfast”?

Jamal will always take the opposite side of any argument against the majority. And picks his thread topics to disagree with... if this was the same topic but Jon hood... no sunburn

I’m pretty indifferent on Jon Hood. So you’re probably right. I’d mostly just point everyone out for being lame for getting mad at him and leave it at that.

Only negative if you make it so. Most people pay little attention to these type comments. In fact most of us would never have seen it if Bcat had not posted it on this board.
What does that have to do with Coach Cal cutting Wenyen off? I do not care what Wenyen says but I promise you Calipari does not appreciate it.

Reactions: Bill Withers
I seem to recall when Gabriel left, everyone was saying he left because his families financial situation was so bad that he really didn't have another year?

I mean, I always felt that line of thinking was nonsense, it could be the difference in a career of $3m or a career of $30 but I want to say many justified his leaving under that narrative.

I don't know that what Gabriel said was all that horrible . He said it was hard and if you suck Cal has no place for you.

yea, that sounds like the truth to me. This is big time basketball, and we've had a BUNCH of transfers of kids who didn't like hard work and didn't want to admit they were stinking it up (relative to their peers)

if a kid is swayed by that message, is he really going to work out at UK anyways?

I'm still trying to figure out what players first means. Its never what I think it should be.

Oh absolutely. Jamal shares a lot of Spam's preaching and hall monitor personality traits. He's so much better than we simpletons.
He thinks he's some avant-garde social crusader who will tell us rubes how simple and flawed we are.

Last edited:
I wonder who has more influential people in basketball listening to him? Wenyen, or Cal? I wouldn't want to be on Cal's bad side if I ever wanted to be involved in the sport of basketball, but hey, I'm not a genius like Wenyen.

We all know Cal goes to bat for his players, even the ones who transferred out of the program. Wenyen is burning the wrong bridges for absolutely no reason.

He did stay. He was here two years, not one.

In fact, I think that's part of what he's bitter about. He came to UK thinking that he was gonna be a one and done high pick, instead he stayed two years and went undrafted. So he's decided that's Cal's fault.

Only negative if you make it so. Most people pay little attention to these type comments. In fact most of us would never have seen it if Bcat had not posted it on this board.
Right because KSR and multiple other Kentucky basketball websites, including HOB, aren’t reporting on it... but sure I’ll take the blame.

Reactions: kl40504
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT