ADVERTISEMENT

Wenyen Gabriel at it again

few quick facts about Rupp:

• He had a black player on his team when he was a high school coach in Freeport, Ill., before coming to UK in 1930.

• He was assistant coach on the 1948 U.S. Olympic team that won the gold medal in London with the help of Don Barksdale, a black player from UCLA. Barksdale has said some nice things about Rupp.

• As early as 1951, when an African-American named Solly Walker led St. John’s into Lexington, Rupp was scheduling non-conference games against teams with blacks. Nobody else in the SEC or Atlantic Coast Conference was doing that.

• In 1959, he offered Felix Thruston of Owensboro, Ky., High the opportunity to become UK’s first black player. Thruston turned him down because of the violence that was building in the Deep South. His brother Jerry, also a standout basketball player, told me his family had a good experience with Rupp.

• In 1964, when both the SEC and ACC were still lily-white, Rupp offered a scholarship to Wes Unseld of Louisville’s Seneca High. But Unseld didn’t have the temperament of be a pioneer in the Deep South, where blacks were being routinely kidnapped and hung.

• In 1965, black star Butch Beard of Breckenridge County told Rupp he was coming to UK. But Beard changed his mind and joined Unseld at Louisville when a stranger came to his family’s home and said he would be killed if he went to UK.

When it looked as if Beard were going to UK, Sports Illustrated sent Deford to Lexington, and he wrote a story that praised Rupp for leading the integration of southern basketball.

Thank you for writing this. Being in the SEC was a detriment to Coach Rupp trying to integrate UK basketball.

You are correct , WG won't last another year , he might sneak out 1 more because of the shortened season but he just isn't that great. At all.

Yup. And that’s okay - there are plenty of guys who aren’t good enough to cut it in the best league on the planet. But there aren’t as many who are publicly and frequently blaming it on their college coach years down the road like Wenyen.

I'm not going to waste my time bashing Wenyen as a player. But anytime you blame a coach on your own short-comings not a good look.

I hope future recruits can look past the bs... which the proof is in the pudding already. But you never know with this new generation of kids.

Also players and coaches frown on the very stuff gabriel is spewing....he has no honor, keep that stuff in house. That's exact why Cal "cut him off" and rightfully so. Hes trying to create unwanted drama. For a player who us veryyyy lucky to even be in the league I'd say this type junk will cut his NBA days even shorter

Jaden McDaniels probably isn’t the only recruit he’s reached out to especially since he reached out to a guy that he didn’t even know like that .

Why should Cal keep in contact with someone that’s making his job harder ?

Yeah, and he expected a Happy Birthday message from Cal after he told a recruit to go elsewhere.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
I wish he had enjoyed his once in a lifetime college experience, but, as Cal has said, Kentucky isn’t for everyone.
I hope he comes to realize that he pretty well had it made, and understands how good he had it.

He’s a whiner that didn’t impress. He should move on and I absolutely don’t blame Cal for cutting him off after pushing a recruit away. Seems to be a clear cut case of he doesn’t like Kentucky. Why should Kentucky or Cal like him? Easy decision.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
Maybe but it would have really taken a lot of hard work for sure. He was too weak to play the post in the NBA and he doesn't have the handles to play on the perimeter. I believe the thought because he could hit an outside shot or 2 that he was the next KD but in reality he was a lot shorter poor mans version of Manute Bol.

I usually don't say this but what an ungrateful bitch. If he worked harder, he would have been a top 15 pick.

3 pages on a guy doesn't deserve any. Quit acting butt hurt over a mediocre player with a grudge. It's what fuels the fire.

People aren't acting. Dude is a salty d-bag blaming Cal over his own shortcomings and now actively trying to affect Cal's recruiting. Call me butt hurt, but this dude can go kick rocks for all I care. I'm an idiot on a message board. He's the butthurt one on Twitter to the world.

Wenyen is obviously one of many high school players who obtain lofty ratings from high school recruiting services but who don’t immediately equal the same level of success in college playing against older more talented players that they competed against at the high school level. Wenyen never impressed me as an immediate impact player. He appeared to have a lot of raw athletic ability. He could have made himself a much better player had he stayed around long enough to improve but when arrived at UK he was certainly no one and done talent.

Still don't feel bad for posting those texts. Cal cut Wenyen off after that. Wenyen says so many things that contradict its hard to know what he really thinks. At the end of the day he's just bitter/upset/mad that he never became a main contributor here to get drafted 1st rd. Wenyen was a top 15 recruit in his own eyes he's a star. He feels like he should've been a focal point to those UK teams and that steering JM to Washington helped him go 1st rd and make millions. Of course thats a load of crap, JM was going 1st rd no matter where he went and could've potentially gone higher at UK instead of a 20 loss Washington team. If Wenyen wanted to be a main contributor on his UK teams he should've put in the work on his game and body to be able to do so, thats on him. Cal can't hide you here. Wenyen also insinuated that he should've gone to Duke which I find funny bc K would've talked him into 4 years and he would've still went undrafted. Good riddance WG come back when you mature a little

Still don't feel bad for posting those texts. Cal cut Wenyen off after that. Wenyen says so many things that contradict its hard to know what he really thinks. At the end of the day he's just bitter/upset/mad that he never became a main contributor here to get drafted 1st rd. Wenyen was a top 15 recruit in his own eyes he's a star. He feels like he should've been a focal point to those UK teams and that steering JM to Washington helped him go 1st rd and make millions. Of course thats a load of crap, JM was going 1st rd no matter where he went and could've potentially gone higher at UK instead of a 20 loss Washington team. If Wenyen wanted to be a main contributor on his UK teams he should've put in the work on his game and body to be able to do so, thats on him. Cal can't hide you here. Wenyen also insinuated that he should've gone to Duke which I find funny bc K would've talked him into 4 years and he would've still went undrafted. Good riddance WG come back when you mature a little
Duke sucks i can’t wait fo beat those dbags again

Reactions: kywildcat41086
I think the best thing UK fans can do is complement Wenyen for his play while at UK and his work ethic to make it in the NBA and not repay negativity for negativity.

I think the best thing UK fans can do is complement Wenyen for his play while at UK and his work ethic to make it in the NBA and not repay negativity for negativity.
Sure reinforce misguided, immature, selfish, nasty behavior. He started it and made his bed. No thanks.

Sure reinforce misguided, immature, selfish, nasty behavior. He started it and made his bed. No thanks.

At this point.. with WG doubling down several times on several occasions, I'd like to see the program and Cal completely cut ties. It is clear he didn't like his time here and we can't have him messaging more recruits. Make the statement now that "While we respect WG's opinion, we whole-heatedly disagree, and at this time, WG's comments do not reflect the staff or the universities"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT