ADVERTISEMENT

Well look what I found....hmmm

Cawood86

All-American
Feb 20, 2005
From KSR site a Calipare quote:

I realize Kentucky only beat Harvard by nine, but Calipari seemed particularly grumpy afterwards. Maybe I’ve conditioned myself to this team’s “freshmen moments,” but I was encouraged by their play in the second half, particularly the way the defense spurred the 12-0 run; however, Calipari said he’s seen so many good things from the group that he’s not willing to overlook their errors.

“I told them after the game, I’ve done this 30 years, I’m not saying I’m a genius. I’m not saying I’m the best. I’m not saying that I could even do this. But I do know what winning looks like, and it doesn’t look like what we’re doing right now.”

“If you want to argue with me, I can’t get us to where we need to go. And they’re good. Look, I’m maybe sounding frustrated, but when you think about what I’m asking these kids to do, they should not be able to do this. They’re all freshmen. They’re all freshmen. We’re in the top 10 defensive efficiency in the country, and I’m not pleased. What? Because I think we could even be better.”

This is an annual cycle now. It's barely December. Calipari's young teams always improve tremendously from November to March. There are a couple of guys on this team like Richards and Washington who haven't even begun to show us what kind of players they will be down the stretch in February. I am enjoying watching our team develop.

Richards is two games removed from 25 and 15

This might be trying to simplify things too much, but how deep of a NCAA tourney run do you guys think UK should have before you think we’ve had a ”successful” season?

This might be trying to simplify things too much, but how deep of a NCAA tourney run do you guys think UK should have before you think we’ve had a ”successful” season?

"Successful" season to me means meeting the reasonable expectations from the beginning of the year. For this team, top 3 finish in conference, conference tourney finals, 4 seed or better and make it to the second weekend of the NCAA's. I think those are reasonable expectations for this group and would constitute a successful season.

It stil comes down to thinking too much about what to do rather than just doing it. Makes you a step slow and late or the play simply doesn’t come tohether at all. We’ve seen this many, many times before, even with our most elite-KAT, Wall, Davis. We always improve, how quickly can we get there is the question.

Lots would say Title or Bust.

IMO we've had successful seasons in 7 of the 8 years Cal has been here, the lone exception being the NIT year.

I think that's fair. He's either won 30+ games or made the final four in 6 of those 8 seasons.

The two seasons he didn't we lost 80+ % of our production off of a 38 win team.

Can't call an NIT season a success. That team was a train wreck even before the Noel injury.

I'm kind of on the fence about 2016. I think he did well just to make the tourney after losing 7 of his top 8 from the prior season. But that team had 3 former five star big men and an all American guard tandem. Can still make a case they should have been better then they were but for whatever reason Skal and Lee didn't develop at all while they were here.

Can't fault the staff for Poythress falling behind due to an ACL injury. I don't think he was 100% yet his senior year.

Reactions: brianpoe
I agree with ukcatfaninsc. Depends on the roster but I feel that way just about every year. As long as were competing.

Reactions: ukcatfaninsc
Happy to see Calipari is not settling for mediocrity from these guys. They can and will be so much better in the months to come....this year is clearly a year when fans need to be patient and just enjoy the process of watching this team develop....

I’m sorry but that take is ridiculous. Then the most winning progam in history has only been successful 8 times.
We should have quite a few more and be ahead of ucla, instead of worried about Duke and UNC catching us.

I’m sorry but that take is ridiculous. Then the most winning progam in history has only been successful 8 times.

Really and truly Kentucky has more than 8 titles. We hate the Ncaa, snubbed their standard for Cals wins, but openly accept their limit of championships for us.

Not me

Reactions: Ky-troutbum

Hang on a minute. Success is being year in and year out the all time greatest program. That’s the definition. Titles contribute to that and could propel us to the undisputed claim. We have to stay ahead of the duke unc pace which means we need another very soon

I've noticed those that were all over me for what I posted don't seem to have anything to say about the OP in this thread.......[laughing][laughing][laughing][laughing][laughing]

Rebounding is one of the most basic, and yet most important things in any and every game. You want to go deep into march? You've got to rebound.

Rebounding is an effort thing. Ball goes up, you go and get it. We have one of the biggest, longest teams in the country. We should dominate rebounding. There are very few teams in the country that should rebound with us.

We beat Harvard by 1. 37-36.

Gabriel and Kileya Jones combined for 4 rebounds. In 40 minutes. Those guys should be dominating the boards.

Knox had 7--which is probably good from your SF
Richards has 7 in 20 minutes--he needs to continue to improve and stay on the floor.
Washington had 5 in 18 minutes--foul trouble all night--gotta do better.

Reactions: Cawood86
We should have quite a few more and be ahead of ucla, instead of worried about Duke and UNC catching us.
All the blue blood schools believe they should have more than they do. Our program does not exist in a vacuum. Should have won in 97 and 14 because we were in the title game. 2015 was a great run but we still would have had to play the title game.... it wasn’t a given. Back to your statement that basically says an NC defines a successful season means every team in America is a failure more often than not. I’ll admit that my life experience has made me a more of “it’s the journey” kind of guy instead of getting wrapped up about the destination. For many people 2015 was a Greek tragedy but for me, while the ending was very disappointing, the entire season was a helluva ride.

Reactions: CATFanINChampaign
I want #9 and #10 this year. That's my expectation. ...and want #11 and 12 too cause I'm greedy.
Seriously though, I WANT to win it every year. That's me the fan. However, that will never happen and we realize that. What is fair and expected at UK is to be in the hunt. Under Cal, they have been except for one year. 6 of 8 seasons have went to the Elite or beyond. That is being successful and consistent. That's all you can ask for and be realistic imo.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
I see improvement with SGA, Richards and not much of a drop off until after 8-9 players really. But I also think getting to that next level can be very frustrating with such a young team and minus arguably their most complete player. This situation and the mind games Cal plays is what we all signed up for and is the process for getting them playing at near peak efficiency by March. Patience Cal. Patience youngin's. Patience fans.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cawood86
I dunno if people overrated our 2015 team, underrate Wisconsin or a little bit of both.

Sure we were the better team. But we didn't lose to a bad team.

People too hung up on that game btw.

Could you imagine had we lost to ND the round before which almost happened?
Or Duke in the finals?

There were quite a bit of really good teams that year.

Best teams don’t always win it all....has happened many, many times throughout the years. Championship or bust mentality will lead to a pretty miserable season.
Yup. For fans of 346 teams every year.

Sure I’d love to win the title every year and realistically, if a couple little things go our way, we could easily have 2 or 3 in Cal’s tenure. But it’s hard. It’s REEEEEEAAAALLY hard. Way harder than cutnets and/or 43toeatwhatever thinks it is.

As for the OP, hey I agree with everything Cal said. Like every year, they’re really young, they’re really talented, they can get a lot better than they are now, and in the meantime, it’s gotta be frustrating to coach a group this incredibly young.

"Successful" season to me means meeting the reasonable expectations from the beginning of the year. For this team, top 3 finish in conference, conference tourney finals, 4 seed or better and make it to the second weekend of the NCAA's. I think those are reasonable expectations for this group and would constitute a successful season.
We're a juggernaut in basketball. What you just said is like Alabama saying they would be happy with a 7-6 record and a music city bowl loss to northwestern in football.

No, every year our goal is national championship. It's not gonna happen most of the time but that is our goal.

We're a juggernaut in basketball. What you just said is like Alabama saying they would be happy with a 7-6 record and a music city bowl loss to northwestern in football.

No, every year our goal is national championship. It's not gonna happen most of the time but that is our goal.

Lifelong Bama football fan here and yes, fans would burn down Tuscaloosa over a 7-6 record

Reactions: Elijah55 and Apoxie
ADVERTISEMENT