ADVERTISEMENT

Weisman "Don't see the difference" between Kentucky and Memphis

Enlighten us.

Read my last post. It is not James Wiseman saying "there's no difference in the Kentucky basketball program and the Memphis basketball program"

This is what Wiseman said.

“If I go to the University of Memphis, then [Penny Hardaway will] help me reach my potential to hopefully become a great player and hopefully make a big impact in the NBA ... If I come to [Kentucky], he’ll help me reach my full potential and become the player I want to become.”

Now, if you look at those, it looks like they're the same, but what are those comments? They're the sales pitch from each coach. That's how there's no difference between Kentucky and Memphis, because he's talking about the sales pitch, not the programs.

This is partially the OP's fault, because most people are going to look at the title, and post without actually reading any of the article. All of these people sitting here getting torn apart by this though? Wiseman didn't say that he didn't see a difference between the two programs, the OP suggested that he said that.

Thats not a good statement for UK..... Sounds like he's finding reasons in his mind why its ok to just go to Memphis....

Not necessarily “finding reasons”, but it was almost verbatim the pitch Penny has been making.
Penny has been really harping on the idea that james’options and possibilities at uk would be no better than what can be offered at Memphis as far as his future development and nba options.
Certainly that is easy to punch holes in, but Wiseman is hearing what Penny is preaching.

Not necessarily “finding reasons”, but it was almost verbatim the pitch Penny has been making.
Penny has been really harping on the idea that james’options and possibilities at uk would be no better than what can be offered at Memphis as far as his future development and nba options.
Certainly that is easy to punch holes in, but Wiseman is hearing what Penny is preaching.

I pray that you're right and that this is Memphis' pitch.

If Penny's best play is "I mean, it's pretty much the same thing, so why not? C'mon." then they're done.

Cal has pulled too many punches recently to let Penny Hardaway mislead James Wiseman away after all the work we've put in and how much we need him. The gloves will come off.

That will fly right up until the next time Wiseman talks to Cal or Joel, and he and his mom trust them greatly. If they prove quickly that Penny is selling him a lie to benefit himself instead of looking out for James, it's over.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
I’m guilty of it too, but with the current O&D/ college basketball landscape ... we have a tendency to get a tad obsessed lol.... i mean yeah what he said is a little “wait whaaa?” But the kid is what...16? 17? He’s a young kid, and who knows if it was taken out of context (i believe he was saying the recruiting pitches were similar?)

We are indeed an obsessed fan base ... here we are going on 3 pages (while making fun of him) for a single comment he made about 2 schools heavily
pursuing him.

Read my last post. It is not James Wiseman saying "there's no difference in the Kentucky basketball program and the Memphis basketball program"

This is what Wiseman said.

“If I go to the University of Memphis, then [Penny Hardaway will] help me reach my potential to hopefully become a great player and hopefully make a big impact in the NBA ... If I come to [Kentucky], he’ll help me reach my full potential and become the player I want to become.”

Now, if you look at those, it looks like they're the same, but what are those comments? They're the sales pitch from each coach. That's how there's no difference between Kentucky and Memphis, because he's talking about the sales pitch, not the programs.

This is partially the OP's fault, because most people are going to look at the title, and post without actually reading any of the article. All of these people sitting here getting torn apart by this though? Wiseman didn't say that he didn't see a difference between the two programs, the OP suggested that he said that.

I think a lot of what you posted above is right.
I’d point back to my last post- which is rather similar.

Yes, and I decided that isn't the case because his words are completely void of any meaning unless you assign them subtext that we lack the information to know.

You dont need subtext for how I saw it... no matter what he was talking about... He's either bringing UK down to Memphis' level or bringing Memphis up to UK's level. psychologically there is a reason for it and it cant be a positive for UK.

You dont need subtext for how I saw it... no matter what he was talking about... He's either bringing UK down to Memphis' level or bringing Memphis up to UK's level. psychologically there is a reason for it and it cant be a positive for UK.

Idk man, I think you’re looking entirely to deep into a few words sentence , which was semi taken out of context

Just letting you guys know. The Wisemans are not going to make Penny look bad in this situation. They will be claiming Memphis is the best thing since 87 Indiana the entire recruitment. There's really no reason to follow any of it, it's going to be UK and Memphis until he pulls a hat. I'm paying no attention to any of it.

I pray that you're right and that this is Memphis' pitch.

If Penny's best play is "I mean, it's pretty much the same thing, so why not? C'mon." then they're done.

Cal has pulled too many punches recently to let Penny Hardaway mislead James Wiseman away after all the work we've put in and how much we need him. The gloves will come off.

That will fly right up until the next time Wiseman talks to Cal or Joel, and he and his mom trust them greatly. If they prove quickly that Penny is selling him a lie to benefit himself instead of looking out for James, it's over.

I am not sure it would be considered selling a lie. Penny truly believes he will create a powerful brand at Memphis— and one that will have national exposure. He believes his program and kids will have a stage to showcase talents. And he is selling his own nba experience as knowledge to help put recruits in the same position.
Now, aside from his role leading Team Penny and his nba career, there is nothing tangible on his resume to validate this— as opposed to Cal, who can point to dozens of players.
It will come down to whether or not James thinks Penny can do what he says.

Penny had a very good visit a couple days ago.
This comment isn’t about “being polite” to the local school.
Memphis leads right not, fwiw.
How do you know Memphis leads because I don’t see any public indications of that.

Memphis has never and will never be a powerhouse in basketball.

People, if Penny was as good as all of the pumping out of Memphis, he would already be at another program. He wouldn't have been coaching middle school basketball a few years ago. Use your head.

Just letting you guys know. The Wisemans are not going to make Penny look bad in this situation. They will be claiming Memphis is the best thing since 87 Indiana the entire recruitment. There's really no reason to follow any of it, it's going to be UK and Memphis until he pulls a hat. I'm paying no attention to any of it.

If somehow we managed to land the kid... you just know one of the kingpins of memphis will try to ruin the kid and us like they tried to with Skal... They literally do everything they can to manipulate ways to have advantages of the kids so they can pressure them into going to memphis.

Memphis has never and will never be a powerhouse in basketball.

People, if Penny was as good as all of the pumping out of Memphis, he would already be at another program. He wouldn't have been coaching middle school basketball a few years ago. Use your head.

Exactly, plenty oh Memphis fans on Twitter, rivals etc acting INCREDIBLY cocky the last few weeks though.

Reactions: morgousky
You have recruiting experts picking memphis for him...........and you have Cal recruiting Carey much harder ever since Penny went to Memphis. Do we need to create a class on how to read between the lines?

Jesus man, lol he was just asking a question.

There’s been many saying UK leads or is right in the mix with wisemen

Leads what? Based on....?

Lead... as in, if he had to make a decision now, I am quite confident it would be Memphis.
That said- he isn’t making such decision now, so current leanings may be immaterial.
But some here think Memphis is an “also-ran” because it isn’t a blue blood.
I got a lot of laughs on this board when I posted quite early that Bamba was likely joining Shaka.
Now, I’m not making a call here. It is too early and I suspect this one will play out until the very end. But Penny is in a good spot at the moment.

I am not sure it would be considered selling a lie. Penny truly believes he will create a powerful brand at Memphis— and one that will have national exposure. He believes his program and kids will have a stage to showcase talents. And he is selling his own nba experience as knowledge to help put recruits in the same position.
Now, aside from his role leading Team Penny and his nba career, there is nothing tangible on his resume to validate this— as opposed to Cal, who can point to dozens of players.
It will come down to whether or not James thinks Penny can do what he says.

It will be interesting if Penny hires Larry Brown. On one hand it mostly settles the experience question. On the other hand it is a tacit admission that Penny isn't completely ready.

One way or another Penny will be the main player for the Memphis pipeline going forward.

Reactions: TheAnonymous13
You have recruiting experts picking memphis for him...........and you have Cal recruiting Carey much harder ever since Penny went to Memphis. Do we need to create a class on how to read between the lines?
The crystal balls are evenly split and Wiseman is claiming he doesn’t want to reclassify so that would explain the push on Carey. I’m not saying it’s not a toss up or won’t be a challenge but to say Memphis leads as a fact doesn’t appear to be substantiated.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Lead... as in, if he had to make a decision now, I am quite confident it would be Memphis.
That said- he isn’t making such decision now, so current leanings May be immaterial.
I got a lot of laughs on this board when I posted quite early that Bamba was likely joining Shaka.
Now, I’m not making a call here. It is too early and I suspect this one will play out until the very end. But Penny is in a good spot at the moment.

Oh Gotcha. Makes sense.

What makes you confident he would choose Memphis if he were to choose right now?

The crystal balls are evenly split and Wiseman is claiming he doesn’t want to reclassify so that would explain the push on Carey. I’m not saying it’s not a toss up or won’t be a challenge but to say Memphis leads as a fact doesn’t appear to be substantiated.

Exactly, it’s not substantiated.

That being said he could very well go to Memphis, but this tweet ? There’s nothing “to read between the lines”

Reactions: GonzoCat90
Oh Gotcha. Makes sense.

What makes you confident he would choose Memphis if he were to choose right now?

Just what I hear relating to him buying into what Penny is selling. Their is a relatioship there, so Penny doesn’t need to establish trust or a connection. The obstacle is his credibility as a big time head coach and Memphis as the right platform.
So far he is doing a good job.
But I expect Cal to counter punch.
This last time Penny got to follow Cal’s visit. That’s an advantage.
But this will be a drawn out battle, I expect.

That said- he isn’t making such decision now, so current leanings may be immaterial.

Well you could be right, but there's zero chance you know anything for sure at all. The Wiseman's aren't talking, so unless you are personal family, you know nothing. I know guys connected to the Wiseman's and they have no idea what he's going to do.

He's talking about their pitch. He's saying right now they're recruiting him the same and that he doesn't view one as better or ahead of the other because they're saying the same thing. He basically declined to answer.

If he stays at Memphis East, he ends up at Memphis. If he transfers to Oakhill or somewhere like that, he ends up at UK. Simple as that.
This will be third HS in as many yrs, it's not gonna be definitive of where he attends college. What I am seeing is Cal actively trying to get rid of OAD, Wiseman's mom saying she isn't ready for her child to move away in one year, much more for 2 on her comments about her son reclassifying. Put it all together and I think Cal already has Wiseman, now working on Carey.

Well you could be right, but there's zero chance you know anything for sure at all. The Wiseman's aren't talking, so unless you are personal family, you know nothing. I know guys connected to the Wiseman's and they have no idea what he's going to do.

Well- no one knows for sure, as he is miles from a decision.
But there are people well aware of how the visits went, what the obstacles may be and how the different pitches were initially received.

I said 2 months ago that a pastor friend had ties to the people that were at memphis around the time of Penny playing there and those alums... boosters.. fans said Tubby was out and Penny in was the plan.... That same group is ultra confident in landing Wiseman.... they are pretty sure he'll reclassify and go help build the program for Penny.

They also thought Tubby wanted out at memphis and would resign on his own so its not like its been dead on accurate but you know how the telephone game works.... things get passed around and it changes

He's talking about their pitch. He's saying right now they're recruiting him the same and that he doesn't view one as better or ahead of the other because they're saying the same thing. He basically declined to answer.

Even 10 year olds know that the same exact words mean more coming form a hall of fame legend in Cal than it does Penny..... which is why I said no matter the subtext... its bringing one up or down to the other one's level.

I said 2 months ago that a pastor friend had ties to the people that were at memphis around the time of Penny playing there and those alums... boosters.. fans said Tubby was out and Penny in was the plan.... That same group is ultra confident in landing Wiseman.... they are pretty sure he'll reclassify and go help build the program for Penny.

They also thought Tubby wanted out at memphis and would resign on his own so its not like its been dead on accurate but you know how the telephone game works.... things get passed around and it changes

That's true, but I also think what you're hearing is biased, best case scenario for Memphis, information. They think they're going to get their dream coach and the best player and get him for two years and everything is going to be great for Memphis. They don't know, they're hoping.

Reactions: JC43 and morgousky
I want Wiseman....... I really do .... I just feel we're in another losing battle for a top 5 kid and I'm not looking forward to the melt down this board will have when / if he picks Memphis..

Even 10 year olds know that the same exact words mean more coming form a hall of fame legend in Cal than it does Penny..... which is why I said no matter the subtext... its bringing one up or down to the other one's level.

If they asked James Wiseman what color hat each coach wore and he said they both wore blue, it doesn't mean one is better. It means they wore the same color hat and he's not giving you any details about his recruitment.

He is not comparing the quality of the programs or pitches. He's telling the reporter they both said the same thing. That's likely not even true. He's just refusing to answer.

If they asked James Wiseman what color hat each coach wore and he said they both wore blue, it doesn't mean one is better. It means they wore the same color hat and he's not giving you any details about his recruitment.

He is not comparing the quality of the programs or pitches. He's telling the reporter they both said the same thing. That's likely not even true. He's just refusing to answer.

Isnt that still taking up for Penny and Memphis though? You know the pitches are not the same..... only one pitch was come here and play like Anthony Davis... you know I coached him right. LOL

Isnt that still taking up for Penny and Memphis though? You know the pitches are not the same..... only one pitch was come here and play like Anthony Davis... you know I coached him right. LOL

Right, he's lying. He's refusing to answer. He isn't giving anything away about his recruitment. That's why there's nothing to take from his response.

I’d be surprised if he re-classified. But if he does, I would think it would be for Memphis.
If someone is ultra confident- they know a heckuva lot more than I do.

Mama doesn't want him gone for two yeas maybe not even one. The HS snafu could have been a ploy to get him to reclassify and play two years at Memphis. I'm sure it's being pitched that way.

I expect it to be Memphis ultimately but certainly UK will always have a shot. BUT the idea that his NBA options are better under Cal just doesn't hold a lot of water any more.

At least it's UK or MSU and no one else. GBB

Not every kid can reclassify. You need to be close to the final credit requirement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT