ADVERTISEMENT

Possible fifth staff hire? - Cody Toppert

This guy is apparently considered a leader in analytics and one of the best in college basketball. Would be an exciting hire.
Pope has already done one helluva job with the staff he’s already hired. He adds this guy to the mix and man we will one of the best if not the best coaching staff in college basketball!

Is there anything that regulates how many assistants you can have?

With how crazy the NIL and the transfer portal has gotten, I wouldn't be opposed to adding a position just to cover the bases.

Odd that we'd bring in another offensive analytics guy when we already have Fueger. I figured maybe we'd get a defensive analytics guy.

Happy to get a top assistant, regardless, if it is this dude. Just seems like overlap on the staff if we get him.

Odd that we'd bring in another offensive analytics guy when we already have Fueger. I figured maybe we'd get a defensive analytics guy.

Happy to get a top assistant, regardless, if it is this dude. Just seems like overlap on the staff if we get him.

If he has good NBA connections, that, to me, would fill out the staff nicely as that will be of great interest to top recruits.

Its been 4 years. Im sure hes grown.
I don't mean this as a knock on him and can't be judged on it.
But in charge of game planning and analytics at the beginning of the Hardaway tenure sounds like faint praise

Reactions: Coach Marrow
Pope has already done one helluva job with the staff he’s already hired. He adds this guy to the mix and man we will one of the best if not the best coaching staff in college basketball!
Smart taking his time to not just a body but someone that can move the needle even further. What top recruits would not want to be involved with what Pope is building here. So many coaches that can really help them on and off the basketball court.

There are a lot of commentators that believe Fueger should be an HC. Might be good now to prepare for his inevitable departure.

Speaking of hires and analytics, did Pope end up bring that BYU analytics guy with him? I think his name was… Jordan Brown? Not sure if I have that name right but people were saying at the time of the Pope hire he’s some analytics genius. Haven’t heard anything about him in at least a week.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Does anyone know about Cody Feuger's recruiting specifically?

I know he is dropping the "boom" gifs but these aren't exactly his guys that he is bringing in- supposedly Brooks and Hart were the lead recruiters on most of these guys.

I guess what I am getting at is: Why not made Cody Feuger one of the "Non-Recruiting" assistants, completely in charge of game planning, X's and O's, scouting opponents, etc. (think similar to like what Jon Robic was for Cal), and bring in just another top-flight recruiting assistant for that 3rd recruiting assistant to just get dudes.

So we'd have Brooks, Hart and a 3rd guy focusing on just getting players here, and then you'd have Pope, Fueger and Fox locking in on style of play, X's and O's, scouting, etc.

Idk, just a thought, maybe Feuger is actually a recruiting guru and I just wasn't aware, but so far it seems like most of our wins were Hart and Brooks' guys.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Does anyone know about Cody Feuger's recruiting specifically?

I know he is dropping the "boom" gifs but these aren't exactly his guys that he is bringing in- supposedly Brooks and Hart were the lead recruiters on most of these guys.

I guess what I am getting at is: Why not made Cody Feuger one of the "Non-Recruiting" assistants, completely in charge of game planning, X's and O's, scouting opponents, etc. (think similar to like what Jon Robic was for Cal), and bring in just another top-flight recruiting assistant for that 3rd recruiting assistant to just get dudes.

So we'd have Brooks, Hart and a 3rd guy focusing on just getting players here, and then you'd have Pope, Fueger and Fox locking in on style of play, X's and O's, scouting, etc.

Idk, just a thought, maybe Feuger is actually a recruiting guru and I just wasn't aware, but so far it seems like most of our wins were Hart and Brooks' guys.
Fueger was named one of the most impactful assistant mid major coaches in College basketball in 22 23. Now he is at KY and time to ramp it up a notch or 2.

We need a director of portal operations. A dude who identifies players who may enter the portal and those we should target.
Pretty sure we can only have 5 assistant coaches. You’re right with the way the portal is the NCAA should allow for coach #6 to just handle that aspect.

We need a director of portal operations. A dude who identifies players who may enter the portal and those we should target.

I think the way to win in college basketball going forward, is simply to outspend the competition. Not just for players, but also for staffing, facilities, etc. If we need to add a full time position (or even a department) for NIL and the general ability to build teams, so be it. We're going to have to buy our success, that's just how it is.

I think the way to win in college basketball going forward, is simply to outspend the competition. Not just for players, but also for staffing, facilities, etc. If we need to add a full time position (or even a department) for NIL and the general ability to build teams, so be it. We're going to have to buy our success, that's just how it is.
I agree to a large degree. Identifying undervalued players will be key. We can compete with SEC money but we don’t have a donor base like a lot of schools do.

Fueger was named one of the most impactful assistant mid major coaches in College basketball in 22 23. Now he is at KY and time to ramp it up a notch or 2.

But was that from a recruiting perspective or from an X's and O's and Scouting perspective?

We have 5 assistant coaching slots, he absolutely seems to be one of the better basketball minds out there given his reputation, but I just want and hope that the 3 assistant spots with recruiting abilities are the best 3 recruiters possible, and then the other 2 assistants and the head coach take the primary lead on Xs and Os and style of play

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT